Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light Snow - Overnight Wed/Thu 6th/7th January 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,750 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Danno wrote: »
    Come to papa! :pac: :D

If you take our snow your treachery will not be forgotten :mad:

(yes, I had a beer but that's not the point!) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Moving so slow, it's almost here but I've got to sleep... Too old for this lark...

Too old for a snowball fight eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

How’s Dublin looking atm? Will the front reach this Far East?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭squarecircles

I remember daydreaming about bitter entrenched cold and significant snowfall back in mid December, Looked outside earlier, the air dense and bitter, significant cold that had embedded itself after nights of sub zero temperatures, my breath hung in the air, as I watched the rain falling down, you can feel that softness in thd air now thd pig muck, its a shame at no stage in any televised forecast they could mention there was no chance of ice or snow anywhere along the western seaboarddespite a nationwide warning, gas country, like another world,. Met Éireann is a truely woeful pathetic and sub standard organisation. Off now to stick pins in my head to worship God Gonzo.i look forward to the dandruff photos tomorrow, the kids will have great fun scraping it from the crevasses inland at elavation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Building back more than I expected around Mayo, Galway and Sligo, that aspect looks good for the south midlands imo

Such a tease <3:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

It has to cross the Slieve Blooms Mountains yet, so another hurdle to go. I could end up with zilch yet. :eek:

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    How’s Dublin looking atm? Will the front reach this Far East?

Yes but probably quite light here.

Thing is ground is either frozen or very cold so we don't need moderate to heavy snow anyway, no problem with it settling.

I'm staying up late so hope i'm not let down (again)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

I remember daydreaming about bitter entrenched cold and significant snowfall back in mid December, Looked outside earlier, the air dense and bitter cold, my breath hung in the air, as I watched the rain falling down, its a shame at no stage in any televised forecast they could mention there was no chance of ice or snow anywhere along the western seaboarddespite a nationwide warning, gas country, like another world,. Met Éireann is a truely woeful pathetic and sub standard organisation. Off now to stick pins in my head to worship God Gonzo.

Don’t worry you’ll get your snow in the next few weeks. These events that come in off the ocean don’t usually give much snow too anyone but people up on hills.

It’s bringing in milder air anyway, so the -4c temps will be gone in the South and East soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Met Éireann

07 January 2021 00:00

Tonight

Very cold tonight with widespread ice and some patches of freezing fog. Rain in the northwest will extend gradually southeastwards during the course of the night, turning increasingly to snow, away from Atlantic coastal fringes where rain and sleet is expected. There'll be a slight covering of snow in many areas by dawn on Thursday, especially in Midland counties where a few centimeters are expected to accumulate. Minimum temperatures of -4 to 0 degrees with mostly light, variable winds becoming fresh northerly on Atlantic coasts later.

Tomorrow

A cold and icy start away from Atlantic coastal districts on Thursday morning. Light sleet and snow will continue to clear south during the morning with further slight accumulations leading to treacherous conditions on untreated surfaces. A clearance to sunshine and well-scattered wintry showers will follow from the north for the rest of the day. Maximum afternoon temperatures generally ranging 0 to 3 degrees but a little less cold in Atlantic coastal fringes with moderate northwest breezes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Yes but probably quite light here.

Thing is ground is either frozen or very cold so we don't need moderate to heavy snow anyway, no problem with it settling.

I'm staying up late so hope i'm not let down (again)

What's your ETA for Dublin if it makes it this far?...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Lots of the white stuff falling in Cavan 😊

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    What's your ETA for Dublin if it makes it this far?...

Between 3:15 and 3:45 would be my guess...

Between 3:15 and 3:45 would be my guess...

Or maybe a bit before that?

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭booferking

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Don’t worry you’ll get your snow in the next few weeks. These events that come in off the ocean don’t usually give much snow too anyone but people up on hills.

It’s bringing in milder air anyway, so the -4c temps will be gone in the South and East soon enough.

Are well inland affair benefits from this type setup and as for snow in a couple of weeks time it's a lottery with SSW but hopefully a couple of wedges form around Iceland area and cause a few sliders to slide south east with us in the firing line as deep cold looks like building to are east in the fi.

2/3cms on Benevenagh and still falling quite heavy.

Aren’t you going to post photos of the snow up there on Binevenagh? It must be another few cm now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Raining steadily now. Its frustrating to say the least to know it's snowing 15 miles down the road. Still i suppose that's what makes snow so fascinating at the same time. Also i did get some snow last week when many other did not, so its good to read that others are getting their turn now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Clear skies and -4 in Celbridge, I'm off to bed, hoping to wake up to a nice dusting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Still hanging in there for the white gold in Newbridge , what to watch whilst waiting now .

booferking wrote: »
    Are well inland affair benefits from this type setup and as for snow in a couple of weeks time it's a lottery with SSW but hopefully a couple of wedges form around Iceland area and cause a few sliders to slide south east with us in the firing line as deep cold looks like building to are east in the fi.

It’s always the same people. What we need is a proper northerly to come down from Iceland, without a warm sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Freezing rain in Athenry, that's a rarity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

Any chance of this system making its way down to Carlow town?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Scar001

Falling lightly now - mid Clare

dublincelt wrote: »
    Any chance of this system making its way down to Carlow town?

Yup, one of the favored places right now i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Looking at the radar it doesn't look too promising for me here.

Rathmore. East Kerry/North Cork border 150 asl

Is Gonzo awake? Need reports from Meath soon enough...

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

Is there a squall line in that? Echoes have a distinct SW->NE line :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

I look right in the firing line of this in Monasterevan, prob put the mockers on it now.

By the way... the wind never turned SW or N, as predicted by some members. We have stuck with an E since the precipitation has arrived and we are down to 1.0c but it’s just pure rain.

So we just missed out on the snow here.. due to that cloud

Danno wrote: »
    Is there a squall line in that? Echoes have a distinct SW->NE line :confused:

Dunno, some echos have that familiarity, but the precipitation field currently extends from east Cavan to west Donegal - more extensive than I was expecting.

• Advertisement

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    By the way... the wind never turned SW or N, as predicted by some members. We have stuck at E since the precipitation has arrived and we are down to 1.0c but it’s just pure rain.

Marine layer. Anywhere close to an on shore wind wasn't getting much or anything from this snow wise.

Advertisement