Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light Snow - Overnight Wed/Thu 6th/7th January 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Back Roads here snow covered but I guess the secondary and mains should be fine. Fog has returned here, keeping the temperature at or just below freezing. So the snow remains intact.

Ice day for you then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

An Ri rua wrote: »
    A heavy fog has drifted in around Tullamore. Maybe 3cm of snow overnight. Very minimal melt.

Ideal for keeping the thaw away, if you want that. Temperatures won't get much above 0 in this. Us the ground is frozen, so untreated and shaded areas will be lethal later.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

No snow here on the Kerry coast outside Tralee but did rain early morning and froze on contact leaving black ice everywhere. Temps were hovering around freezing all night rose to 0.7 when the rain arrived and back down to -0.3 leaving the place with a clear ice glaze, glad I wasn't out early this morning.
    2.9C now and thawing with clear blue skies and bright sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Even with the rain last night a couple of shaded spots still have bits of snow, it just shows how cold the ground has become. Unfortunately, the old saying about snow on the ground is not going to come true this time. Good to see this cold spell finally delivered for a lot of people before it ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Currently -0.3c and getting foggy. No thaw, yet in south Laois.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Drive to work this morning. South Tipp. Ice with a snow topping. Slow going and slippy in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Quarry lake frozen over in Wexford this morning

https://streamable.com/866xvc

Apologies for the awful quality after upload

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

A fair thaw in Galway this morning. Disappointing.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Appears from the radar it has now passed, was nice to wake up to even though it wasn't enough for a snowman :) To get a lot milder now from Sunday but fingers crossed we'll see something nice and cold at the start of February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Managed a couple of mini snowmen here in Clonee this morning.

Very light dusting really but the kids enjoyed it all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

Cw85 wrote: »
    Appears from the radar it has now passed, was nice to wake up to even though it wasn't enough for a snowman :) To get a lot milder now from Sunday but fingers crossed we'll see something nice and cold at the start of February.

Or sooner! ;-)

Foggy out there now in parts. Temps will struggle to reach above freezing today so the snow and ice should stick around until the weekend. Places could see it drop to around -6c or -7c this weekend before the milder air pushes across.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

woke up to a dusting here in Dunshaughlin, maybe 1cm of snow at the most. Lovely to see and while it is a very light fall, it's more than I saw at any stage throughout 2019 and 2020 combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Did decently enough all things said here in D9. Got a better dusting than I expected, compared quite favourably to some locations who had more prolonged falls.

Doubt many others had a substantial thaw underway by 8:30am though. Nearly all gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Managed a couple of mini snowmen here in Clonee this morning.

Very light dusting really but the kids enjoyed it all the same.

More than we got in D18 - lucky. Where are you?

Oops sorry you said clonee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

What's the location?

South Cavan.
    I should have stated that in my post last night.

Probably little more than a 1cm here last night. Temperature slowly creeping up, 1.5c and thawing but at a far slower pace than last friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

What fell this morning has completely thawed out now in D12, did have a nice dusting this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Danno wrote: »
    Currently -0.3c and getting foggy. No thaw, yet in south Laois.

Is that for the snow in Laois or do you expect more?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

thaw setting in here now, snow beginning to melt from the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

some sort of precipitation in Dublin 5, can't tell what it is though because it's so light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Artane2002 wrote: »
    some sort of precipitation in Dublin 5, can't tell what it is though because it's so light.

Probably like that dust we had falling down here. Like a mizzle but with fine ice or snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

2 snow mornings in January where I am near Mallow.

Is mallow elevated much? I'm surprised at that as I lived in Cork for 2 years and couldn't get over how mild it is down there with very little frost compared to Cavan (where I Iive now)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Are you in the city or up on higher ground?

Sorry, only saw this now. Was out sledding with the kids actually! I'm at about 80m ASL I think. We are on a hill, hence we could sled notwithstanding there wasn't that much snow. I was surprised how much fell as the NW radar showed v little by the time it hit us. In fact GL's ICON flash forecast which he posted just as the snow hit gave the impression nothing would fall. But in fact it snowed for a good 90 mins ultimately. Belatedly I saw that the Met.ie radar did in fact correctly show that level of precipitation - which is interesting to bear in mind for future events

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

There was not much snow in Newbridge just at the edge of the Curragh but not a single flake that fell was wasted , was up on the hills in the Curragh from 10am till now with the kids and they had a ball on there sleds , the frozen ground with the snow sitting on top made for absolutely perfect conditions .

538678.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

bosco12345 wrote: »
    Is mallow elevated much? I'm surprised at that as I lived in Cork for 2 years and couldn't get over how mild it is down there with very little frost compared to Cavan (where I Iive now)

Not elevated at all. It’s kind of in a low lying valley and gets flooded mostly! Surrounding areas are higher up and get a lot more snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Ideal for keeping the thaw away, if you want that. Temperatures won't get much above 0 in this. Us the ground is frozen, so untreated and shaded areas will be lethal later.

Fast thaw underway now. Strong sun. Very quick turnaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

There was not much snow in Newbridge just at the edge of the Curragh but not a single flake that fell was wasted , was up on the hills in the Curragh from 10am till now with the kids and they had a ball on there sleds , the frozen ground with the snow sitting on top made for absolutely perfect conditions .

attachment.php?attachmentid=538678&stc=1&d=1610026171

Can't beat that sort of fun for kids. Very Jealous, the folks are near Naas and teasing me with pictures of snow and frozen sections of the canal.

thaw still going on here, even tho it was just a dusting I don't think it will thaw fully before nightfall. If this was March last nights dusting would be melted hours ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,967 ✭✭✭circadian

Looking out the window here and you'd be none the wiser to snow now. Short lived but nice.

Advertisement