Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bluetooth plug

• 05-01-2021 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Anyone recommend a bluetooth plug to turn off a power socket. I want it to turn off a 4g router and turn it back on when internet stops working so don't think a wifi smart plug will work. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The Philips Hue plugs are bluetooth and wifi I'm almost positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,114 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Clareman wrote: »
    The Philips Hue plugs are bluetooth and wifi I'm almost positive.

They're Bluetooth alright, but not WiFi (they use Zigbee with the hub). So one would work for the OP's case.

A quick (but not exhaustive) look on Amazon shows most of the other common smart plugs (Amazon, TP-Link, Tekin) use WiFi and not Bluetooth, so there may not be much choice in Bluetooth ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I take it the op just wants it so he can locally trim in and off an in accessible switch when his router falls over ?

In this instance would zigbee work, as the controlle would need to be in the network ?

Perhaps something like the ikea tradfri.stuff.with an ikea smart plug and wall switch ?

I take it the op just wants it so he can locally trim in and off an in accessible switch when his router falls over ?

In this instance would zigbee work, as the controlle would need to be in the network ?

Perhaps something like the ikea tradfri.stuff.with an ikea smart plug and wall switch ?

Zigbee will work without WiFi, but you need a hub. And you usually communicate from your phone to the hub via WiFi (indirectly via your router), so if the router itself was down (rather than just the broadband connection), you wouldn't be able to use your phone to tell the hub to tell the plug to switch off and on to reboot the router. Routines and automations would still work without the WiFi on, but you wouldn't have direct manual remote control.

A Bluetooth plug like the Hue one will allow you to communicate directly from your phone to the plug without using any other hub, network or protocol. You just need to use the specific Hue Bluetooth App (https://www.philips-hue.com/en-us/explore-hue/apps/bluetooth) rather than the regular Philips Hue app that would be used with the Hub.

Zigbee will work without WiFi, but you need a hub. And you usually communicate from your phone to the hub via WiFi (indirectly via your router), so if the router itself was down (rather than just the broadband connection), you wouldn't be able to use your phone to tell the hub to tell the plug to switch off and on to reboot the router. Routines and automations would still work without the WiFi on, but you wouldn't have direct manual remote control.

A Bluetooth plug like the Hue one will allow you to communicate directly from your phone to the plug without using any other hub, network or protocol. You just need to use the specific Hue Bluetooth App (https://www.philips-hue.com/en-us/explore-hue/apps/bluetooth) rather than the regular Philips Hue app that would be used with the Hub.

That's pretty.mich what I was sayong was it not ?

A zigbee/ikea smart plug paired.to a zigbee switch,.and the op won't even need a phone app to.cintrol.it, and also.zigbee is not the same as bluetooth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,726 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What about a digital or analogue timer plug. We used them before with remote data loggers. Just set it to power cycle once every night around 3:00. Helped fix any connection issues and saved a lot of issues.

That's pretty.mich what I was sayong was it not ?

A zigbee/ikea smart plug paired.to a zigbee switch,.and the op won't even need a phone app to.cintrol.it, and also.zigbee is not the same as bluetooth

Sorry, I missed your bit about the Zigbee wall switch. That would work alright, as the communication would all be via Zigbee and not through the router. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭qaz123

ted1 wrote: »
    What about a digital or analogue timer plug. We used them before with remote data loggers. Just set it to power cycle once every night around 3:00. Helped fix any connection issues and saved a lot of issues.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Think I might just go with the low tech,low cost option suggested above and see does it solve the issues. I did manage to find a bluetooth plug https://chacon.com/en/outlet/1150-bluetooth-connected-socket-uk-version-3760118940526.html.
    Only thing is that it is Belgium and they don't ship to Ireland

Ikea zigbee plug will do it for you

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

qaz123 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Think I might just go with the low tech,low cost option suggested above and see does it solve the issues. I did manage to find a bluetooth plug https://chacon.com/en/outlet/1150-bluetooth-connected-socket-uk-version-3760118940526.html.
    Only thing is that it is Belgium and they don't ship to Ireland

Not bluetooth, just a remote control but they are a great job, my parents use it for their Christmas lights every year

https://www.woodies.ie/remote-control-socket-pack-of-3-1191976

• Advertisement
Advertisement