Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXI-187,554 ROI (2,970 deaths) 100,319 NI (1,730 deaths)(24/01)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭maebee

Minister Helen McEntee tested positive, according to RTE

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Edit: As above!

I hated what I heard in the background on Radio 1 earlier, where an expert was saying how he feared the vaccine wouldn't be useful. Of all the things I've heard, this is the most depressing to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

big syke wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D

Brilliant!!!

Take chances with every single thing that could hospitalise you except covid!!!

Gangrene, meningitis? Nope ill take my chance with that because i could catch coivd !
    I think the general sentiment is to try and stay as healthy as possible to preclude requiring hospitalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Why does it matter what I decide? It's not your leg.

As 'no context' boards posts go, this is surely up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

It will be all over by Easter. Between immunity and vaccination we should be close to herd at least in the vunerable sections of society.
    On another note is there any point wasting jabs on those who have had the virus already?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

From RTE feed, some good news.
    Latest figures show there has been a reduction in the number of patients being treated for Covid-19 at Letterkenny University Hospital from 45 to 41 as of 8pm yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I hated what I heard in the background on Radio 1 earlier, where an expert was saying how he feared the vaccine wouldn't be useful.
    The media needs to stop platforming this crap.

You'd swear we were taking a gamble on these vaccines the way some go on. Like we thought they might work, but we're not sure.

It doesn't really matter how much of an expert someone is in their field. These vaccines have been through some of the largest trials in modern history, they have been rigorously documented and reviewed. They work.

An expert's "fears" or concerns are absolutely irrelevant. And without any evidence to justify those fears, it is grossly irresponsible for the individual to say it publicly and for the media to broadcast it.

Whatever if Michael from Stoke says it on Facebook. But someone with sufficient gravitas on a national platform has a responsibility to not throw out baseless doubts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

People thinking the preflight test will keep you magically safe on a plane or prevent importation of cases into Ireland are talking sh!te.
    It's not effective at either.

The green dot is someone from Ireland.
    Test results for passenger D were negative on October 2,
    but the passenger reported symptoms on the fifth day after arrival in New Zealand.
    The symptoms progressively worsened, and another test on October 7 returned a positive result.
    Reported symptoms included coryza, headache, muscle pain, general weakness, irritability, confusion, and a head cold.
    This passenger had departed from Dublin, Ireland, and arrived in Dubai on September 28 at 9:05 am.

https://twitter.com/AliNouriPhD/status/1346651705962856450?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I hated what I heard in the background on Radio 1 earlier, where an expert was saying how he feared the vaccine wouldn't be useful. If all the things I've heard, this is the most depressing to me.

If it was RTE Radio 1, then there is a reason for their pessimism and scaremongering. Best to ignore them as a source for impartial Covid news as much as possible.

• Advertisement

UrbanFret wrote: »
    It will be all over by Easter. Between immunity and vaccination we should be close to herd at least in the vunerable sections of society.
    On another note is there any point wasting jabs on those who have had the virus already?
    Logistically it's a lot easier to follow the groups they've determined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭maebee

Eod100 wrote: »
    Good thing she got result before Cabinet meeting today

https://twitter.com/HMcEntee/status/1346775576699428864

Doubly worrying for her as she's pregnant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I hated what I heard in the background on Radio 1 earlier, where an expert was saying how he feared the vaccine wouldn't be useful. If all the things I've heard, this is the most depressing to me.

Multiple experts have said it will . Pfizer have said if they need to make changes to the vaccine they feel six weeks is sufficient. The media is finding every negative they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

seamus wrote: »

You'd swear we were taking a gamble on these vaccines the way some go on. Like we thought they might work, but we're not sure.

It doesn't really matter how much of an expert someone is in their field. These vaccines have been through some of the largest trials in modern history, they have been rigorously documented and reviewed. They work.

An expert's "fears" or concerns are absolutely irrelevant. And without any evidence to justify those fears, it is grossly irresponsible for the individual to say it publicly and for the media to broadcast it.

Whatever if Michael from Stoke says it on Facebook. But someone with sufficient gravitas on a national platform has a responsibility to not throw out baseless doubts.

100%. Without this expert backing up their fears with evidence it only does harm and spreads more panic and fear. Ive heard the complete opposite from other people who would be considered experts in the field and they have a hugely positive outlook on this vaccine and not only for Covid but the science behind this vaccine for treating/preventing numerous other diseases in the future including certain cancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

People thinking the preflight test will keep you magically safe on a plane or prevent importation of cases into Ireland are talking sh!te.
    It's not effective at either.

The green dot is someone from Ireland.

https://twitter.com/AliNouriPhD/status/1346651705962856450?s=20

was there pre flight tests in this scenario? To answer my own question there was see the tweet now couldn't see it before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

seamus wrote: »

McConkey did it on Clare Byrne Live fairly recently too. Said it was unlikely the vaccines would work on the elderly.

I have a feeling it will end up being more of an annual jab, or suchlike, like the Influenza, to cover ever changing mutations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The fact the Chinese have blocked a WHO team entering to investigate the origins of covid is deeply suspicious.

If they had nothing to hide, they'd let them in.

Multiple experts have said it will . Pfizer have said if they need to make changes to the vaccine they feel six weeks is sufficient. The media is finding every negative they can.
    This has been manna from heaven for them - not easily understood science, multiple surges, Biblical horror tales, blame games and now a slow rollout of vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

McConkey did it on Clare Byrne Live fairly recently too. Said it was unlikely the vaccines would work on the elderly.

Reminds me of the attitude of my mother, "Ah sure we'll probably all be dead by next year".

• Advertisement

No still don’t care, but it will be easier to recognise you off Boards. Won’t be that many dragging a deformed leg about the place. ;-)

:D

is_that_so wrote: »
    Logistically it's a lot easier to follow the groups they've determined.

There's that yes . Still Would I be right in thinking at this stage the real number who have been infected is probably between 5 and 7 hundred thousand? An Antibody test would have been a useful weapon in the battle.

Somehow I think that would please him.

There's that yes . Still Would I be right in thinking at this stage the real number who have been infected is probably between 5 and 7 hundred thousand? An Antibody test would have been a useful weapon in the battle.
    Don't think it's that high and why use other resources to find out when rapid vaccination is the name of the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

The CMO has hinted there are signs that the numbers of contacts are coming down. Once that gets to the 2-3 mark we should see a fairly rapid decline in headline numbers

I don't doubt they'll work. I just mean that if people are expecting that the state is going to be able to effectively enforce all of these measures, they're missing the point. The government isn't expecting to enforce all of these measures by identifying and punishing everyone who breaks them. It's up to people to be sensible.

They've made mistakes for sure, they're dealing with an unprecedented and rapidly changing situation, but I think the government have done pretty well all things considered.

Real Life wrote: »
    Reminds me of the attitude of my mother, "Ah sure we'll probably all be dead by next year".
    A neighbour of mine used to do this about herself, regular as clockwork. It took 14 years for her to be right!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

The CMO has hinted there are signs that the numbers of contacts are coming down. Once that gets to the 2-3 mark we should see a fairly rapid decline in headline numbers

couldnt really not come down, it was 30odd!

even 2-3 per person is too many with a new more contagious variant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

mightyreds wrote: »
    was there pre flight tests in this scenario? To answer my own question there was see the tweet now couldn't see it before

Yeah here's some more info on this paper. Setting up for a fail. That Ryanair Jab and go sh!te needs to stop. No problem going just be aware the risks. Show's all the variables. Very similar to flight into Ireland in the summer that de Gascun and public health people in Ireland wrote a paper on et al wrote a paper.

538518.png

Eod100 wrote: »
    Good thing she got result before Cabinet meeting today

https://twitter.com/HMcEntee/status/1346775576699428864

Was she breaking government guidelines I wonder?

• Advertisement

bennyl10 wrote: »
    couldnt really not come down, it was 30odd!

even 2-3 per person is too many with a new more contagious variant
    Sure, but a whole lot easier to contact trace.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement