Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXI-187,554 ROI (2,970 deaths) 100,319 NI (1,730 deaths)(24/01)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Its definitely not as simple as Jab and Go.

You'd need to leave a month after the first jab and probably 6 weeks in total if you are on a two dose schedule.

But there will of course be stupid people who think you can jab on the Wednesday before your Saturday flight.

Lets hope Ryanair are responsible but I don't have much faith in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

seamus wrote: »
    We didn't do it before, we're unlikely to do it this time.

As far as I can tell, there has never been a curfew in the Republic, ever, and the last time there was a curfew was in Dublin during the war of independence.

The optics of a curfew are very draconian, authoritarian. It's not really in our DNA.

We're not that type of state, we are policed by consent. We aren't Spain, Italy or France.

Was she breaking government guidelines I wonder?

I think the virus has overtaken the guidelines at this stage, it's that contagious. I think it is probably laughing at the idea of masks & 2 metres stopping it. Possibly only hazmat gear would work now.

rob316 wrote: »
    We're not that type of state, we are policed by consent. We aren't Spain, Italy or France.

Not always quite by consent, don't think the Kinahans etc consent to being arrested. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

I wish all these TDs and MPs that get Covid wouldn't trott out the line that they "continue to work from isolation". That's not a good message to give, the message should be if you catch then rest and give your body the chance to heal itself, this is a serious illness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Probes wrote: »
    I wish all these TDs and MPs that get Covid wouldn't trott out the line that they "continue to work from isolation". That's not a good message to give, the message should be if you catch then rest and give your body the chance to heal itself, this is a serious illness.

Unless your asymptomatic

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

No still don’t care, but it will be easier to recognise you off Boards. Won’t be that many dragging a deformed leg about the place. ;-)

If you watch Jaws backwards it is a heartwarming story about a shark who gives arms and legs to disabled people.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Because the first question from journalists is where is X?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

Unless your asymptomatic

Much more likely that you are presymptomatic, hence you should be resting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

Its definitely not as simple as Jab and Go.

You'd need to leave a month after the first jab and probably 6 weeks in total if you are on a two dose schedule.

But there will of course be stupid people who think you can jab on the Wednesday before your Saturday flight.

Lets hope Ryanair are responsible but I don't have much faith in them.

It says- no change fee in big writing, great! next screen says fare change fee applies in teeny scrawl on the end of the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

How many ICU beds do we have?

88 in ICU now :( 18 new admissions, 6 discharges

screamer wrote: »
    It says- no change fee in big writing, great! next screen says fare change fee applies in teeny scrawl on the end of the screen.

Yep, I don't have much faith in them. I've even less faith in government and HSE to police travel after vaccinations. Both have been almost criminally negligent when it comes to policing travel since this all began. Science was never their strong point.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

BlondeBomb wrote: »

It was about double this back in April, at 160 on April 9.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

BlondeBomb wrote: »

We have 280ish with plans to go to 350ish with surge capacity (operating theaters and similar).

Maybe another 100 in private hospitals of which we have access to 25% in the new deal I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

Yep, I don't have much faith in them. I've even less faith in government and HSE to police travel after vaccinations. Both have been almost criminally negligent when it comes to policing travel since this all began. Science was never their strong point.

I don’t think running the country is their strong point to be very honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

is_that_so wrote: »
    This has been manna from heaven for them - not easily understood science, multiple surges, Biblical horror tales, blame games and now a slow rollout of vaccines.

RTE, loving the bad news. But while they got a third of their staff to claim the pandemic payment, they paid Grant Thornton a probable fortune to "guide the board ". Always room for consultancy even when you can't afford to pay your staff. But the board got told that covid content was helpful so here we are.

Sunday Times:

"As many as one-third of RTE’s staff have been partly paid through the Covid-19 wage subsidy scheme.
    Board members were told that RTE’s commercial income had been reduced by between 25% and 35% as a result of a collapse in advertising by sectors affected by the pandemic. The consultancy Grant Thornton was asked to “assist and guide” the board on the pandemic’s impact on RTE’s finances. Board members were briefed that Covid-related content was getting “big numbers”. Audiences for news and current affairs programmes increased dramatically."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

trixi001 wrote: »
    The number of people saying about Northern Builders..there is a large number of Northern worker on the south - do people realise that despite these people paying tax in the south, they are not entitled to PUP, and will get no money while the sites are closed..(some get universal credit in the North of £95 a week, if they don't have a partner).
    This is the same for all cross border workers, construction, hospitality, manufacturing, offices etc, no entitlement to PUP

We are not asking them to stop working, we want them wearing masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Much more likely that you are presymptomatic, hence you should be resting.

If you google you will see its 30% I also have been asyptomatic never felt better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    We are not asking them to stop working, we want them wearing masks.

I thought about that at the last Taoiseach's address from the podium.

He took the long somber walk down the steps without a mask and then made his solemn address. Now I know it may not make a difference in that specific instance (although I don't know where he was before he appeared at the steps), but when you are appealing for everyone to be extra extra careful and compliant, would it not be a good idea to see the leader of the country with his mask on at every possible opportunity, particularly when addressing the nation with bad news about increased infection rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

18 admissions to ICU in the last 24 hours. 88 in total now.

Highest since early May

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Out of curiosity, anyone know how many flu sufferers need ICU? I can see hospitalisations needed, but what about ICU?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Norma Foley apparently pushing to keep schools opened for leaving cert students. Would mean thousands of students and staff still moving around

18 admissions to ICU in the last 24 hours. 88 in total now.

Highest since early May

Assuming 15 are admitted on average and 5 discharged on average every day, we will be up on 150 in less than a weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

john-silver-black-sails-long-memory.jpg?resize=550%2C285

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Are you a troll?

I logged in just to thank your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Norma Foley apparently pushing to keep schools opened for leaving cert students. Would mean thousands of students and staff still moving around

Not necessarily a bad thing though

LC classes would have the undivided attention of teachers and they wear masks in class anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Solar2021

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Not necessarily a bad thing though

LC classes would have the undivided attention of teachers and they wear masks in class anyway

10 cent face cloths are not stopping this indoors for hours on end.

The eyes are exposed are anyway, if Covid is in the room, especially the new variants those kids are getting it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Assuming 15 are admitted on average and 5 discharged on average every day, we will be up on 150 in less than a weeks time.

That's not a safe assumption to make. Should increase exponentially, as it has been doing.

Unfortunately we should also soon see an uptick in deaths. In fact we may have seen the start of it yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Good news here. EMA approves Moderna vaccine. https://twitter.com/EMA_News/status/1346793570334867457?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

I think we can all collectively agree that Norma is about as useful as a crocheted facemask.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement