Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXI-187,554 ROI (2,970 deaths) 100,319 NI (1,730 deaths)(24/01)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Probes wrote: »
    I wish all these TDs and MPs that get Covid wouldn't trott out the line that they "continue to work from isolation". That's not a good message to give, the message should be if you catch then rest and give your body the chance to heal itself, this is a serious illness.

The truth is always a good message to give.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

I wish all these TDs and MPs that get Covid wouldn't trott out the line that they "continue to work from isolation". That's not a good message to give, the message should be if you catch then rest and give your body the chance to heal itself, this is a serious illness.

100%

I follow someone on Instagram - a healthy fit woman in her thirties - who caught this over Christmas. It’s frightening how sick she is. Really hope McEntee has a mild case of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I think we can all collectively agree that Norma is about as useful as a crocheted facemask.

I mean schools are either safe or not right now, things are too bad for this half in half out keep everyone happy bs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Not necessarily a bad thing though

LC classes would have the undivided attention of teachers and they wear masks in class anyway

Hopefully LC ‘21 can be facilitated. Last years LC was a mess. The uncertainty was a mind melt for kids.

I think we can all collectively agree that Norma is about as useful as a crocheted facemask.

Do you think she is acting in isolation? She’s following advice she is being given but also she is a politician which brings its own concerns.

• Advertisement

fits wrote: »
    100%

I follow someone on Instagram - a healthy fit woman in her thirties - who caught this over Christmas. It’s frightening how sick she is. Really hope McEntee has a mild case of it.

She said that she is working from home, but that's not the bad news you wanted us to hear so you throw in an anecdote about some woman on instagram who is sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

I mean schools are either safe or not right now, things are too bad for this half in half out keep everyone happy bs

It is clearly not binary. The more people you have in school, the less safe it is. There are many people who will be going to work next week in much less safe conditions (hospitals, manufacturing, etc) compared to a school with only leaving cert students in it.

But, anyway, they won't have schools open next week for anyone (infection rates are too high) but it would make sense to bring back leaving cert students first.

GP covid referral data for today is out:

https://tomorrowscare.ie/covid/2021-01-06_COVID_GP_Survey_Results.pdf

Numbers are stabilising (not falling). Dublin numbers do look like they are falling though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Hopefully LC ‘21 can be facilitated. Last years LC was a mess. The uncertainty was a mind melt for kids.

Government already talking about pushing it back a month

IMO it should go ahead on time

Hire extra staff to supervise, hire extra halls, have greater space inbetween desks just give the kids the date and stick to it

fits wrote: »
    100%

You follow someone on Instagram? An influencer by chance (hate that term), I wonder how severe she is . I realise it’s a cynical question. But none follow an influencer for boring content.

• Advertisement

Numbers are stabilising (not falling). Dublin numbers do look like they are falling though.

Suppose they have to stabilise first anyway

Not bad news either way

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

agoodpunt wrote: »
    If you google you will see its 30% I also have been asyptomatic never felt better

18% is what I have seen. Glad you never felt better but anecdotal evidence like this doesn't help, we know some people don't get sick, that shouldn't be used to minimise the severity of the disease that others will have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Much more likely that you are presymptomatic, hence you should be resting.

Its rampant in my local community.
    Its a funny disease. I know 2 people died from it. One elderly and picked it up in hosp so was very vulnerable.
    Another fit healthy 51 year old. Unexpected death.
    Another forties ashmatic and asymptomatic.
    Works for HSE so tested regularly, theu didnt even know they had it.

Another 2 now with flu symptoms both 20s fatigue but just flu.

It really is russian roulette.
    For some, they wouldnt notice. Others a serious illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Hire extra staff to supervise, hire extra halls, have greater space inbetween desks just give the kids the date and stick to it

The most important thing is that the Leaving Cert is done before ANY of the students are given the vaccine.

It's simply not fair to allow students fitted with 5G chips to take state exams.

Sets a dangerous precedent and will hugely skew the CAO points system if they can access the Internet though their chip as they take their state exam.

Surprised this isn't a bigger story.

polesheep wrote: »
    The truth is always a good message to give.

I don't think it is always the truth though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You can see why sometimes politicians can't win.

If she works from home, then she's sending a poor message about resting when sick.

If she doesn't work from home despite being well, then she's taking the piss.

Surely the message here should be to do what you feel able to do. Lingering on the couch doing nothing may not be beneficial, and especially where inflammation is involved (as it is with most viruses), we know that light activity is essential to aid healing.

18% is what I have seen. Glad you never felt better but anecdotal evidence like this doesn't help, we know some people don't get sick, that shouldn't be used to minimise the severity of the disease that others will have.

You only want to hear bad anecdotes? That's not healthy

It's a stupid decision, if it's safe then open up for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

Another issue they would have to work out what if students are isolating or have covid at the time of an exam. Could be high numbers. Even if they move the date you would need a whole new exam as loads would have already taken the exam

I don't think it is always the truth though.

Do you think Helen McEntee is lying?

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    You can see why sometimes politicians can't win.

If she works from home, then she's sending a poor message about resting when sick.

If she doesn't work from home despite being well, then she's taking the piss.

Surely the message here should be to do what you feel able to do. Lingering on the couch doing nothing may not be beneficial, and especially where inflammation is involved (as it is with most viruses), we know that light activity is essential to aid healing.

I'm not sure working at a desk at home is light activity. Personally I think a promotion of looking after yourself during sickness over working through it is better.

Remember, they stopped contact tracing, Numbers are now not based on the true scale of community infection.

Do you think Helen McEntee is lying?

No, I didn't say that. It was a message about all TDs and MPs. I only have to look at Boris to think it was a stupid message to give.

Remember, they stopped contact tracing, Numbers are now not based on the true scale of community infection.

This data is for GP referrals of symptomatic patients.

I'm not sure working at a desk at home is light activity. Personally I think a promotion of looking after yourself during sickness over working through it is better.

No one, including her, said that she is sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not entirely sure what you are bringing to the conversation with this. We never needed to find all of it, you follow the guidelines to contain it. Testing just confirms what you should be doing anyway.

You only want to hear bad anecdotes? That's not healthy

Eh, no. Are you one of those people on the internet that twists peoples words constantly? Twice now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

GP tracker is a good barometer in this case, as they deal with a constant trend of symptomatics in the community. Whether or not contacts are tested makes no difference (to this chart I mean) so, while imperfect, it's a good canary-in-the-coalmine

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

They didn't stop contact tracing
    They have stopped testing close contacts of positive cases unless symptomatic

• Advertisement

rafi bomb wrote: »
    Another issue they would have to work out what if students are isolating or have covid at the time of an exam. Could be high numbers. Even if they move the date you would need a whole new exam as loads would have already taken the exam

Special arrangements are made every year for students but yes it could be far higher numbers than normal

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement