Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXI-187,554 ROI (2,970 deaths) 100,319 NI (1,730 deaths)(24/01)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Probes wrote: »
    Eh, no. Are you one of those people on the internet that twists peoples words constantly? Twice now...

I haven't twisted your words. You seem to be inferring that she is sick when she has not said so. You also believe that people in positions like her should, falsely, give the impression that they are unable to work. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

eggy81 wrote: »
    Would southern workers be entitled to it if working up north for a northern company?

I think so - a southerner working in the North, would be entitled to PUP from the South.

There is no PUP equivalent in the North - its just normal (rubbish) unemployment benefits if you lose your job due to covid.

Southern employees of a northern company would be entitled to Furlough though (similar to EWSS - which Northern employees in the south are also entitled to should the business choose to do this, but most are choosing to let staff go on PUP instead of using EWSS, so therefore Northern residents employees get nothing!)

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

polesheep wrote: »
    I haven't twisted your words. You seem to be inferring that she is sick when she has not said so. You also believe that people in positions like her should, falsely, give the impression that they are unable to work. Why?

Third time now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Probes wrote: »
    Third time now.

Cheerio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Hopefully LC ‘21 can be facilitated. Last years LC was a mess. The uncertainty was a mind melt for kids.

It's happening again.... various vested interests pushing their own agendas with declarations about what is certainly going to happen in six months time, when the prevailing circumstances are changing by the hour. It's media statement diplomacy.

People need to stop talking about what they want to do and instead provide a plan of considered options that can be implemented in a given set of various circumstances.

The dogmatic insistence that certain things will happen, are intended to happen etc only to be pulled at the last moment because there was no pre defined plan B, is not helpful at all, and damaging to the young people that are being stressed out of it with every statement.

Produce a plan A, B and C now, so everyone knows what will happen should any one of a variety of circumstance occur. Publish the plans and then shut up about it and let the kids get on with their preparations.

• Advertisement

GP covid referral data for today is out:

https://tomorrowscare.ie/covid/2021-01-06_COVID_GP_Survey_Results.pdf

Numbers are stabilising (not falling). Dublin numbers do look like they are falling though.
    is_that_so wrote: »
    Not entirely sure what you are bringing to the conversation with this. We never needed to find all of it, you follow the guidelines to contain it. Testing just confirms what you should be doing anyway.

Well, it's quite obvious,

if last week Mr. A had COIVD they spoke to his friends and family so we discovered Mr. A, Mrs. A, Little A, and Mr B all had COVID.

2 things here,

1 - More people self isolate and stay at home without infecting others
    2 - Numbers of infected 4

This week

Mr. A catches COVID, he self Isolates

Close contacts continue as normal, potentially spreading a virus
    Number of infections 1

Thus numbers are now lower, yet the real number much higher and the potential to infect more people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

if last week Mr. A had COIVD they spoke to his friends and family so we discovered Mr. A, Mrs. A, Little A, and Mr B all had COVID.

2 things here,

This week

Number of infections 1

Thus numbers are now lower but the offical number of infections remains the same with the potential to infect more people.

This purely counts symptomatic people contacting their GPs. Testing of contacts is nothing to do with the GP, unless they become symptomatic and contact the GP themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

polesheep wrote: »
    Do you think Helen McEntee is lying?

She is a politician!

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    We are not asking them to stop working, we want them wearing masks.

Except non essential businesses (including construction) have been forced to close..so they have been told to stop working by a Dublin government who won't extend financial support to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

2 things here,

This week

Number of infections 1

Thus numbers are now lower but the offical number of infections remains the same with the potential to infect more people.
    TBH this seems to be more of an obsession with the wrongness of numbers, which is of no use to anyone but you. If people follow guidelines the transmission is broken somewhere along that line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

This purely counts symptomatic people contacting their GPs. Testing of contacts is nothing to do with the GP, unless they become symptomatic and contact the GP themselves.

My Dad was at our local GP just collecting a prescription

Some close contacts of some cases are contacting GP's saying they have symptoms just to get tested

That might skew figures a little

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Hopefully LC ‘21 can be facilitated. Last years LC was a mess. The uncertainty was a mind melt for kids.

Desperate carry on...

Throwing in the towel in the first week of January

It's pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Some close contacts of some cases are contacting GP's saying they have symptoms just to get tested

I don’t know but is is possible that having a positive test makes it easier to get the €350 payment ?
    I know online you need to send a screenshot of the HSE text that says you are positive .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

So its back to lockdown V1 essentially after tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I don’t know but is is possible that having a positive test makes it easier to get the €350 payment ?
    I know online you need to send a screenshot of the HSE text that says you are positive .
    Getting a referral for a test is sufficient for the €350 payment. Once you have been declared as symptomatic and told to self-isolate by a GP.

It's an angle alright, but it didn't come up as an issue before, so I doubt it's suddenly one now.

If people are spoofing and contacting GPs for a referral, then a stabilisation in referral numbers right now is a great indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

You'd think HSE could send on text/email to advise you're a close contact instead of or as well as a phone call. Could use that for proof then to declare the covid social welfare payment maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

That's not a safe assumption to make. Should increase exponentially, as it has been doing.

Unfortunately we should also soon see an uptick in deaths. In fact we may have seen the start of it yesterday.

I was probably being optimistic with an increase in 10 per day.

As for uptick in deaths, my own back of the envelope estimate is there's a two week lag (on average) between cases and deaths. So if theoretically there were 1500 cases two weeks ago it would translate to 15 notified deaths today.
    6000 cases would lead to 60 notified deaths two weeks later.
    Rough estimate but I think it will hold up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Eod100 wrote: »
    You'd think HSE could send on text/email to advise you're a close contact instead of or as well as a phone call. Could use that for proof then to declare the covid social welfare payment maybe.

I got a text from the HSE to say I was a close contact . I got no phone call so far

I knew I was a close contact and got the app alert . I nearly jumped out of my skin when the big red alert popped up !

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sounds like we can look forward to a bumper case number this evening.

That does mean though that we will likely see the largest case number today and the only way is down from here :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Yep, I know somebody who did this

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

I got a text from the HSE to say I was a close contact . I got no phone call so far

I knew I was a close contact and got the app alert . I nearly jumped out of my skin when the big red alert popped up !

I got a call 3/4 days after receiving the text

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

seamus wrote: »

That does mean though that we will likely see the largest case number today and the only way is down from here :p

Looking forward to the endless posts tonight accusing NPHET of withholding the numbers intentionally to scare people into obeying restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

That could be a monstrous figure but clearing the backlog is good

At least then you're dealing with cases as they come with small backlogs here or there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Does anyone believe this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

A data analysis study published on science late December examined what restrictions have what effect on the spread/numbers.

According to them the big ones are school/uni/work. Anything where 10 or more people meet over extended periods. Non-essential retail/restaurants/pubs have only a small to medium impact. Stay-at-home orders and curfews only have a very small impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

We'll certainly be talked about in several overseas news reports tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

No mask on Stephen Donnelly during his doorstep interview earlier.

He's hopeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭duffmann

Just heard about a guy who got a positive test result text message while waiting in the departure lounge to board a plane. Decided not to go and got a taxi into the city centre instead. He went to the bar where he reckons he picked up the virus and had a few drinks. Thanks MM for reopening bars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

duffmann wrote: »
    Just heard about a guy who got a positive test result text message while waiting in the departure lounge to board a plane. Decided not to go and got a taxi into the city centre instead. He went to the bar where he reckons he picked up the virus and had a few drinks. Thanks MM for reopening bars.

Yes that is the fault of MM and the bars...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement