Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXI-187,554 ROI (2,970 deaths) 100,319 NI (1,730 deaths)(24/01)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

ixoy wrote: »
    We had the lowest numbers in Europe for a while - hardly disastrous. Yes, it's messed up now but it hasn't always been a bad response.

We did , and they blew it by opening retail and hospitality and then allowing a free for all over Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

The poor guy is worried going into work but never mind he should put himself at risk.

And what you suggested would get him the sack and a possibly a court appearance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I think someone mentioned that the food and safety authority can inspect your work place and close it down. You can get frozen mice and rats in the pet shop to feed your pet snake. Buy a few of those and throw them around the place, report to food and safety authority. It won't be long shutting down.
    You’re advising someone to commit an act which may land them is serious legal trouble. I hope they ignore your idiotic suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

is_that_so wrote: »
    Colm Henry - bad, of serious concern but not breaking the health system.
    We are several levels away from the scenario where we can't provide ICU care to those who need it.

There are a number of things we still have access to;

- Surge capacity; conversion of theatres into ICU, etc
    - Private hospital capacity
    - Discharge of stable non-Covid ICU patients to normal hospital beds

None of these are ideal, they all have their costs; human and financial. But in a pinch we can accommodate 3-4 times the number of ICU cases we have right now.

The poor guy is worried going into work but never mind he should put himself at risk.

HCW do it every day I suspect with little to no whinging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I think someone mentioned that the food and safety authority can inspect your work place and close it down. You can get frozen mice and rats in the pet shop to feed your pet snake. Buy a few of those and throw them around the place, report to food and safety authority. It won't be long shutting down.

Wtf are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I wouldn't go to hospital with a broken leg while covid is rampant. I'll get over a broken leg, i may not get over covid. It will probably heal improperly, but that's what I'll pay for not catching covid.

Yeah, best to stay at home and get yourself some nice gangrene and maybe lose the leg, or get sepsis and just die.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

FSAI won't shut down a place over one or two incidents of dead mice in winter... Dead mice means pest control procedures are working for the business. Absolutely bizarre suggestion.

Lots and lots of "essential" employees are scared and anxious about work - I am! I'm high risk and back to work on Monday where I can't maintain distance at all times due to what my job is.

But throwing around dead rodents to get the place shut down is not only bizarre, it won't work.

All employees have covid training these days - go through your covid checklist. If policies aren't being adhered to, report to company owner or HR. If that doesn't work, have a GP sign you off on stress leave

Varadkar to clamp down on leaks?
    That’s like asking a fox to mind the henhouse.
    He’s worse than a fcukin sieve
    Well it's not really a leak if it comes from the taniste ..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

if a politician has a mask on and you cant see their mouth moving does that mean they arent lying ??? :confused::confused:

Does not make much difference as most don't speak out of their mouths!

• Advertisement

No, it's clearly the UK strain, now officially at 25% of all infections. Most likely higher.

Ireland opened twice before and never saw figures like this.
    25% is not clearly, 50% isn't clearly!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

OK until now I was pretty sure you were just an overly worried, anxious person. Misguided but ultimately, well meaning.

Now I'm convinced you're a troll. You've gone too far with this one haha

Genuinely pathetic you've posted so much under the false pretence of anxiety and concern.

Can we do a trade in exchange for Paddygreen?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Does that mean months after February?

''The key measures on schools and construction will be reviewed on January 31. However, Government sources say they expect most restrictions to continue into February and will then be eased over the coming months as vulnerable groups are vaccinated.''

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/covid-19-restrictions-school-childcare-construction-what-we-know-so-far-39938545.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Dont forget to defrost the rodents first.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

GP tracking of Covid calls to surgeries looks like it may have levelled off(https://tomorrowscare.ie/covid/2021-01-06_COVID_GP_Survey_Results.pdf).

It's levelled off at a very high level, but this in my opinion is good news. It has been a good predictor of real case numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Does anyone know where I can see rules employers are supposed to implement at work for those in the hospitality sector? Particularly in relation to social distancing of staff?

Try these links

https://www.nsai.ie/covid-19/

https://www.hsa.ie/eng/topics/covid-19_coronavirus_information_and_resources/covid-19_guidance_and_advice/guidance_and_advice/advice_and_guidance_for_employers_and_employees_on_covid19/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

is_that_so wrote: »
    Backlog has been cleared but it could be up to two days more of very high numbers.

The backlog hasn't been cleared. Rather it probably has, but in clearing that, a new backlog has built up. Positive swabs and confirmed cases have tracked very closely to each other since the backlog of 9,000 was announced. Initially the backlog went up to roughly 11,000 as of last night it's down to about 9,500. Presumably somewhere between 8.5-9k of that would be cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

seamus wrote: »
    We are several levels away from the scenario where we can't provide ICU care to those who need it.

There are a number of things we still have access to;

- Surge capacity; conversion of theatres into ICU, etc
    - Private hospital capacity
    - Discharge of stable non-Covid ICU patients to normal hospital beds

None of these are ideal, they all have their costs; human and financial. But in a pinch we can accommodate 3-4 times the number of ICU cases we have right now.

Tbf, we likely will eat into that a lot as the current high cases won't have a large effect on ICU for a few weeks. ICU towards the end of the month could be in bad shape

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Take a week off the thread and think before you post when you return please, this is ridiculous stuff to be posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

wadacrack wrote: »

No hint of a peak yet at all. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Was hoping yesterdays drop would have followed through :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

titan18 wrote: »

Yep, very disappointing, I thought no of positives would go up but was hoping for stable or falling positivity rate.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

titan18 wrote: »

The variation in swab counts seems to be tracking with numbers of tests.

If there is a backlog due to testing capacity being hit, will we know?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

Dr Holohan said yesterday if you feel any flu like symptoms at all that it's almost certainly Covid 19 as there is no sign of any other virus' circulating.

If we are now only testing people who show symptoms, and the positivity rate is "only" 24% doesn't that completely contradict what Dr Holohan said ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

True but Wednesdays are always poor after the weekend

Those testing numbers are very high as well

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Dr Holohan said yesterday if you feel any flu like symptoms at all that it's almost certainly Covid 19 as there is no sign of any other virus' circulating.

If we are now only testing people who show symptoms, and the positivity rate is "only" 24% doesn't that completely contradict what Dr Holohan said ?

Interesting question! Don't have an answer...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Plenty of common colds and other nasties around, many people with colds think they have the flu, others just panic.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement