Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXI-187,554 ROI (2,970 deaths) 100,319 NI (1,730 deaths)(24/01)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dressoutlet

Probes wrote: »
    When I had a test previously I got it same day as speaking with my GP and results the next day. Not sure if it's significantly delayed now but it was pretty quick all round.

When was this. Most people now are waiting at least 1 day from referral to test and 2 days for results. Have seen it be 4 days for results the other day too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Most I have heard about recently got tested the same day the contacted their GP, or early the next. And about 2 days for results

I got my test the same day my GP referred me and I got the results 29 hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

5 days is the average, not the starting point.

It can be less than this as well as more.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Labs would have capacity to test for influenza and other respiratory viruses but just haven't been receiving that many requests for influenza testing.
    GPs might be diagnosing flu in the absence of Covid, and not bother with a test for flu if the person is well enough to recover at home.

Normally the wards are filled with flu patients at this time of year, we would know if there was a flu circulating...

Interestingly we had a very bad flu outbreak here and in the UK in Christmas 2019... could some of those deaths have been early covid patients?

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-50807003
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/flu-outbreak-linked-to-18-deaths-and-strain-on-emergency-departments-1.4125414?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fhealth%2Fflu-outbreak-linked-to-18-deaths-and-strain-on-emergency-departments-1.4125414

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dressoutlet

Up to the 20th of December, this winter 1,796 samples have been tested for Influenza and there have been a total of Zero positives. I would expect there to be a new report this week

This information is not difficult to find.
    https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/influenza/seasonalinfluenza/surveillance/influenzasurveillancereports/20202021season/Influenza_Surveillance_Report_Week%20512020_Finalv1.0_22122020.pdf

Thank you, I am simply relaying what the GP said. Go send that info to her!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I thought the median was 5 days and the median was 7.

Anyway the real problem is lag between symptoms and result.

Symptoms day 5
    Say I'll give it a day
    Call doctor day 6
    Doctor books phone consult day 7
    Doctor refers for a test
    Test contacts you on day 8 to make an appointment
    You get a test on day 9
    You get results on day 10
    Its reported as a case on day 11
    I like your process, but as others have said I think you're a bit pessimistic on the turn-around time. I'd say 7-8 days.

The GPbuddy stats appear to have levelled off as they have been fairly consistent for a few days after a huge jump. I agree with Seamus that hopefully we are nearly at the top of the curve (albeit stupidly high numbers of cases) and should start to see a slow decline.

Biggest risk to that I think is if the UK strain takes off, or if we see a new upsurge because of New Years.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

wadacrack wrote: »

Is this not.. the opposite... of what they should do? LC teenagers are basically adults, 16-19 years of age. 19-21 year olds have the highest rates of any age group

And when they say LC do they mean senior cycle or just 6th years?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,908 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

When was this. Most people now are waiting at least 1 day from referral to test and 2 days for results. Have seen it be 4 days for results the other day too

My fiance's parents got tested Sunday, they paid an amount - either €20 or €50, and got the results (negative) 20 minutes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

titan18 wrote: »
    I'd wonder is that as less staff on Saturdays and Sundays so we might be able to higher daily numbers Monday to Friday (like the 28k today) and then less then, so maybe in a worst case scenario we can call in more overtime (i'd imagine they're doing that anyway) and hit more than that.

Swabbing centres are open 7 days a week.
    Some lab services are reduced at weekends but that does not affect Covid testing.

As many GP surgeries are closed at weekends, its their number of referrals that fall at weekends. So its largely out of hours GPs doing the referring, as well as pre op swabs done in hospitals, and patients presenting to hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

My fiance's parents got tested Sunday, they paid an amount - either €20 or €50, and got the results (negative) 20 minutes later.

Was this in Ireland? Sorry if you mentioned it already!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

hmmm wrote: »
    I like your process, but as others have said I think you're a bit pessimistic on the turn-around time. I'd say 7-8 days.

The GPbuddy stats appear to have levelled off as they have been fairly consistent for a few days after a huge jump. I agree with Seamus that hopefully we are nearly at the top of the curve (albeit stupidly high numbers of cases) and should start to see a slow decline.

Biggest risk to that I think is if the UK strain takes off, or if we see a new upsurge because of New Years.

If the population generally are not mixing and those with Covid are isolating, then one would hope we will reach peak soon in terms of cases/new cases and then it is a matter of seeing how bad the surge is in terms of hospitalisations and fatalities (RIP).

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Traffic is light around Ballsbridge. No doubt the n7 will be backed up because of the checkpoint.

Is there a checkpoint today? It wasnt there yesterday. It took me 35 mins to get from sandymount to rathcoole via dundrum yesterday, left sandymount at 17:15!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Yeah looks its just getting worse tbh.

I know of 4 people in my estate alone who've tested positive yesterday alone, all different households.

Sure you do.

Teachers should refuse.

I don't see many kids turning up in these conditions,

It's either safe for all or it isnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Was that a Flow test?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Is this not.. the opposite... of what they should do? LC teenagers are basically adults, 16-19 years of age. 19-21 year olds have the highest rates of any age group

And when they say LC do they mean senior cycle or just 6th years?

The new variant will spread amongst them and they will bring it home etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Seems like a typical half assed measure. What happens the other 2, online learning?

Eod100 wrote: »
    Looks like press conference happening in a while alright.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1346839234519433217

As they continue to mix politicians, NPHET, journos, sign language staff, cameramen and God knows who else in a room together despite publicly saying we should all act like we are infected. Seriously.

Supercell wrote: »
    Fair play, that's well thought out, even if it depresses me a little, I really was hopeful we would peak in swabs before this weekend, might be a little longer though, hope not.

My own experience is similar though a bit quicker..

Say symptoms day 5
    Give it a day (or two) 6 or 7
    Call doc in the morning, get appointment next day 8
    Result day 9-10'ish

Most people modified their behaviour well before NYE. They have already said the the number of close contacts per case has dropped by nearly 50%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

I welcome the approach of gradually returning the kids to school, but not the most risky cohort first and especially not ****ing immediately.
    Sure they'll probably only have about 50% attendance in the first week or two.

Of course this also means increased public transport usage and more parents going to their workplace instead of wfh.

Gael23 wrote: »
    We won’t be at the peak until 14 days after New Year’s Eve

Apart from your lack of understanding on average timelines, I think you're overestimating NYE celebrations , whatever about Xmas, I think majority were quiet enough by NYE helped by closures of hospitality. Perhaps I'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

It's still very high. Will probably take a while to turn.

538544.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I was surprised how much teachers get paid for a 22 hour week. Handy aul gig.

Oh jeez....

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

Briefing late as search party sent for Norma Foley.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1346846226508034049?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Teachers should refuse.

I don't see many kids turning up in these conditions,

It's either safe for all or it isnt.

Who minds the teachers kids ? A creche isnt going to open to mind 1 or 2 kids 3 times a week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Apart from your lack of understanding on average timelines, I think you're overestimating NYE celebrations , whatever about Xmas, I think majority were quiet enough by NYE helped by closures of hospitality. Perhaps I'm wrong.

I really don't think new years celebrations will play a part.

From the Google mobility graphs posted, activity seemed to drastically drop on Stephens day

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Who minds the teachers kids ? A creche isnt going to open to mind 1 or 2 kids 3 times a week

Most people with kids in creche have already paid for the full month of January, so it won't matter if they are only in 3 days, they've been paid.

Looks like this government are determined to keep the virus spreading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,908 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Queried wrote: »
    Was this in Ireland? Sorry if you mentioned it already!

Don't think I did, no bother! :)

It was in Dublin. I was surprised when I heard too. They are over 65 and the dad was in the house (briefly, at a distance) of a close contact so they may have been bumped. Was delighted for them because they were a bit distraught with worry over it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement