Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXI-187,554 ROI (2,970 deaths) 100,319 NI (1,730 deaths)(24/01)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

the virus is safe for 6th year students.

Our goverment are so dumb. An absolute disgrace & will cost many people lives now who are doing everything they can to avoid the virus.
    about a year too late stopping flights too.

No leadership they just copy other European countries who have failed rather than New Zealand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

As they continue to mix politicians, NPHET, journos, sign language staff, cameramen and God knows who else in a room together despite publicly saying we should all act like we are infected. Seriously.

It’s a special room, Covid impregnable. Sure Tony only started to wear a mask recently before he took his chair.
    My company, no mask no entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

Don't think I did, no bother! :)

It was in Dublin. I was surprised when I heard too. They are over 65 and the dad was in the house (briefly, at a distance) of a close contact so they may have been bumped. Was delighted for them because they were a bit distraught with worry over it.

Delighted to head that they were well looked after and that the test came back negative. Can only imagine the relief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

MD1990 wrote: »
    the virus is safe for 6th year students.

Our goverment are so dumb. An absolute disgrace & will cost many people lives now who are doing everything they can to avoid the virus.
    about a year too late stopping flights too.

No leadership they just copy other European countries who have failed rather than New Zealand.

Ah New Zealand an island nation several hours away from its nearest neighbours. Yeah I can see the comparison between Europe and NZ .........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

pc7 wrote: »
    Most people with kids in creche have already paid for the full month of January, so it won't matter if they are only in 3 days, they've been paid.

Really ? Most pay by week no ? Our creche is a weekly fee anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Surely remote learning works better with Leaving Cert students. Everything should be remote learning until end of month and then reassess. Foley is trying to play Russian Roulette with this 'compromise'. Also surely other solutions could be rolled out, e.g. Continuous Assessments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Weekends, summers off. It's a decent gig. I currently have only been able to have 11 days A/L since last March whilst working at least 1 weekend a month and numerous on-calls in between.

Oh it was the backlash I was worried about. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Ah New Zealand an island nation several hours away from its nearest neighbours. Yeah I can see the comparison between Europe and NZ .........

It really is the most tedious, braindead comparison. No matter how many times it's explained you still have people on here pushing it. People just want to kick the government because they need a scapegoat.

Sometimes **** happens that you can't do much about. This is a pain in hole but it's not anyone's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

Australia is in a good place too, so I don't think its crazy to think what was done with those 2 countries wouldn't have been possible for the UK and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Weekends, summers off. It's a decent gig. I currently have only been able to have 11 days A/L since last March whilst working at least 1 weekend a month and numerous on-calls in between.

I'm not trying to have a pop but I would love to have those conditions

You really dont have a clue. Stop before you make an ever bigger fool of yourself.

• Advertisement

I think its a given that there will be a U Turn on the Leaving Certs at some stage, problem is how many will have got sick or lost their lives in between.

You really dont have a clue. Stop before you make an ever bigger fool of yourself.

Is it not a 22 hour contract? I understand some in the profession threw their junior colleagues under the bus to protect their own payscale.

Teachers should refuse.

I don't see many kids turning up in these conditions,

It's either safe for all or it isnt.

This is not a game of absolutes. The government isn't looking to eliminate every activity that could spread the virus. They are looking at what the cost is in restricting activities against the benefit of allowing them to continue.

For probably obvious reasons, they think it best to have Leaving Cert students attending school. They know that increases the risk of spread but, presumably, think that risk is minimal enough that the benefit to LC students outweighs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My fiance's parents got tested Sunday, they paid an amount - either €20 or €50, and got the results (negative) 20 minutes later.
    This is a rapid antigen test. They claim 98%+ accuracy, but they're really only indicative tests.

Neither the HSE nor airlines will accept these as proof of a negative test, PCR is the gold standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I thought the median was 5 days and the median was 7.

Anyway the real problem is lag between symptoms and result.

Symptoms day 5
    Say I'll give it a day
    Call doctor day 6
    Doctor books phone consult day 7
    Doctor refers for a test
    Test contacts you on day 8 to make an appointment
    You get a test on day 9

You get results on day 10
    Its reported as a case on day 11

Sometimes you can go through the process quicker and sometimes it can take longer. It takes long enough in general though that if the average time to symptoms is 7 days it's usually day 14 before you are fully through the system.

The time it takes from start to finish can vary by location or by how busy GPs are but I think most people get referred, an swab appointment text and appointment in the same day or within 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Live press conference coming up on Virgin News now.

Real Life wrote: »
    Australia is in a good place too, so I don't think its crazy to think what was done with those 2 countries wouldn't have been possible for the UK and Ireland.

Even if what you're saying is right, and I'd dispute it, the UK repeatedly demonstrated that they weren't going to go down that route under any circumstances. Our government was never going to be able to persuade them otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Really ? Most pay by week no ? Our creche is a weekly fee anyway

Monthly for our creche too. Thought that was standard?!

Can't see them giving us back a refund if closed unfortunately!

JP100 wrote: »

Rte news now to be 10 seconds behind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

JP100 wrote: »

It's just 40 minutes late. Has a press conference ever been on time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Lashes28 wrote: »

Nope, it seems to be a very Irish thing!! The UK ones always tend to kick-off on time.

Y7QN5BJPGBCPDOBX4OZT3U2CFA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

They're working on French Time, hence the confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

At a virus control level, I'm not overly concerned about 6th years going back; there aren't enough of them to make a significant difference.

On a social level though, I predict Foley to get a right kicking in a couple of months time when it's revealed how many students and teachers picked up covid as a result. And if someone dies, she may as well hang up her career (both of them) and go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Briefing on now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,908 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Live now on RTENewsNow.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

Opened with a quote and he ballsed it up. Our Ttttaoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Even if what you're saying is right, and I'd dispute it, the UK repeatedly demonstrated that they weren't going to go down that route under any circumstances. Our government was never going to be able to persuade them otherwise.

What would you dispute about what I said? The point about the UK is fair enough, it would have been hard to get them on board with us. Im not even having a go at our Government really, its been a difficult thing to manage and a lot of countries people would generally look up to got it even more wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When the presser starts out with a Yeats quote you know it's going to be level 9+ coming.

• Advertisement

It's still very high. Will probably take a while to turn.

What you are looking for to say its peaked is when the 7 day positive rate goes above the daily rate. In October this preceded the case peak by 4 days

538550.JPG

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement