Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXI-187,554 ROI (2,970 deaths) 100,319 NI (1,730 deaths)(24/01)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

titan18 wrote: »
    I'm guessing our testing capacity must be close to 30k, but not sure we know what exactly it is. Tbh, our testing system seems relatively excellent, we're testing great numbers really considering our population.
    28k a day I believe is testing capacity
    Anything above that and it probably doesn't really matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

seamus wrote: »
    At a virus control level, I'm not overly concerned about 6th years going back; there aren't enough of them to make a significant difference.

On a social level though, I predict Foley to get a right kicking in a couple of months time when it's revealed how many students and teachers picked up covid as a result. And if someone dies, she may as well hang up her career (both of them) and go home.

At a time when hospitals are buckling as hospitalisations and ICU admissions increase, why take the risk.. we have very little wiggle room at the moment, delay this decision as a matter of common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

When the presser starts out with a Yates quote you know it's going to be level 9+ coming.

*Yeats

Sorry I hate Ivan Yates.

Looks like this government are determined to keep the virus spreading.

Its 60,000 people

I reckon they're only doing the thing where LCs have to go to school because they wanted to do what Boris did.

I give it one day.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    I disagree :)

The positivity rates tentatively suggests that growth is slowing down, which means a peak is imminent.

What am I saying? In the 7 days from 24th to 30th December, positivity rates grew by 18.5% per day, on average. From 31st today, they have grown by 6.19%, on average.

If we get to Friday and the positivity rate is still coming in at 26% or less, then we're nearly at the peak.

The forecasts have been slowly improving as the number come in this week. What was once a near vertical forecast, is starting to turn. Slowly.

I might eat my words tomorrow, but I'd say Monday is the key day that will confirm if the tide has turned.

I don't think you can figure too much out from positivity rates when the criteria for performing tests are so arbitrary and we are testing a statistically small number

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The time it takes from start to finish can vary by location or by how busy GPs are but I think most people get referred, an swab appointment text and appointment in the same day or within 24 hours.

I'm in Dublin....

I called GP at 10.30am on Monday, had appointment by text within an hour, had test at 5.30pm on Monday and had result by text at 9am on Tuesday. Positive! Contact tracers called at 10am on Tuesday.

All appeared pretty streamlined/well organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Its 60,000 people

At a time when we don't know what are actual cases are.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What a **** show

Hurry up Micheál I need to pee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Just get on with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Just get on with it

I think it was the actor Nick Berry who said..........

Its 60,000 people

Creches are full
    Teachers having to mix between leaving cert classes

It onky takes 1 person to infect

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭d51984

No ones forcing you to watch it ffs. That poor nurse, came over here to help others. RIP

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Probes wrote: »
    18% is what I have seen. Glad you never felt better but anecdotal evidence like this doesn't help, we know some people don't get sick, that shouldn't be used to minimise the severity of the disease that others will have.

anybody who is not sick should stay quite really? otherwise people might think it a joke

hope you dont get that call I got over a week ago

Varadkar saying the Health Service being great doesn't prevent people getting covid in the first place.

Sounds very much like blaming people who have contracted the virus.

Maybe he should look at two members of his own government and blame them personally too.

I thought the median was 5 days and the median was 7.

Anyway the real problem is lag between symptoms and result.

Symptoms day 5
    Say I'll give it a day
    Call doctor day 6
    Doctor books phone consult day 7
    Doctor refers for a test
    Test contacts you on day 8 to make an appointment
    You get a test on day 9
    You get results on day 10
    Its reported as a case on day 11

Sometimes you can go through the process quicker and sometimes it can take longer. It takes long enough in general though that if the average time to symptoms is 7 days it's usually day 14 before you are fully through the system.

And all that depends on the subject in question having symptoms, if they don't then the clock starts again at day 5 for their close contacts...

What happens to children in leaving cert with underlying medical conditions?

GreeBo wrote: »
    I don't think you can figure too much out from positivity rates when the criteria for performing tests are so arbitrary and we are testing a statistically small number

Piont of order, for statistical purposes 28,000 is a massive sample. And as long as the criteria remains the same we can compare data. If in a week we started testing asymptomatic contacts again then would would no longer be able to compare

Eamon with some green shoots of hope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

No new penalties, complete waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

This briefing is absolutely woeful. They're as sick of delivering them as we are of listening.

Is Eamon ad libbing or is he on drugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Contacts seem to edging down to an average of 3.

Eamon with some green shoots of hope
    If we sow the salad seeds on every windowsill in the country next week we'll be prepared for any summer supply shortages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Tpcl20 wrote: »
    Varadkar saying the Health Service being great doesn't prevent people getting covid in the first place.

Sounds very much like blaming people who have contracted the virus.

Maybe he should look at two members of his own government and blame them personally too.

Didn't sound like he was trying to blame anyone. He was stating a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I just can't pay attention to Eamonn Ryan when he starts speaking......? Zzzzz

How could they forget Norma in the pink getup

At a time when we don't know what are actual cases are.

If allowing just over 1% of the population to attend school 3 days a week with no one else in the schools is the difference between getting this back under control or not, then we truly are f*cked

• Advertisement

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Didn't sound like he was trying to blame anyone. He was stating a fact.
    If his government hadn't opened up hospitality just before everyone got together for Christmas then many people wouldn't have mixed and spread the virus.

Policy failure is as much to blame as individuals.

Norma Foley had to be shaken awake this time to start saying whatever it is she is saying now. She's not prepared at all. I don't think she was going to speak.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement