Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXI-187,554 ROI (2,970 deaths) 100,319 NI (1,730 deaths)(24/01)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

thanks for that Eamon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Tpcl20 wrote: »
    During covid18 and 17?

You think Covid was the only threat to a person with CF?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

41% of people who arrived from Britain to Ireland tested positive for the new mutated strain.

41% with COVID had the UK variant. Not 41 % of all passengers from UK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

I knows it's a fast moving situation. Does anyone know if the likes of b and q are staying open.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

DeanAustin wrote: »
    That's not what he said at all. This is the danger of people interpreting facts when they have an agenda.

He said that of those who tested positive for Covid coming in from the UK, 41% had the new strain of Covid.

Apologies, he mumbled half the sentence so I didn't catch that part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭blowitupref

wadacrack wrote: »

Difference from yesterday.

8466 extra tests carried out has produced 2435 more positive swabs.

Going on the last few days where more cases was reported than positive swabs I'd expected between 7,000 to 8,000 cases confirmed this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

emo72 wrote: »
    I knows it's a fast moving situation. Does anyone know if the likes of b and q are staying open.

Will be open as far as a know, considered essential.

Item 3 should apply...
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/60ecc-essential-retail-outlets-for-level-5/

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

I know it would take massive organization but every student is studying a good few subjects that aren't relevant to their future career, could we drop everyone down to 4 subjects, A-level style, so that they all had much less to do and missing this month (and months last year) wouldn't make a difference to them

The increasing move towards understanding education as a means to prepare for a narrow job spec in later life is a bad idea. Lots of students have no idea what they want to be in their later years, as well as lots of students who will work in areas different to where they thought they would be working.

You think Covid was the only threat to a person with CF?
    It's immensely bigger risk for somebody with CF when the health service is collapsed due to a pandemic versus if they caught something like a flu during the normal course of things. Especially due to the unknowns in how this will impact individuals.

Don't you think that people who have underlying conditions should have access to education or something? Weird hill to die on.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

The increasing move towards understanding education as a means to prepare for a narrow job spec in later life is a bad idea. Lots of students have no idea what they want to be in their later years, as well as lots of students who will work in areas different to where they thought they would be working.

Oh absolutely it's a terrible idea in general. Absolutely against it. But for this batch of leaving cert students it might be preferable to putting them, their teachers, and our hospitals at risk?

Plus the stress of it this year: 7 exam subjects + 2 or 3 non-exam subjects + less time in class with teachers + less time with friends + a pandemic

The stress of it! I can't imagine. I dropped one subject myself for the leaving and just did the 6 exam ones + the others and the time gained from dropping one subject was absolutely massive and made a huge difference to me. I didn't realize it at the time because I thought I was very old and wise but I was still reeling from a bereavement and taking a bit off my plate really helped me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I have been watching the press conference - they keep saying that schools ARE safe, I would say that they WERE. The basic conditions surrounding school opening have changed, much higher transmission in the community and it is far easier to catch the virus now.

The evidence and subsequent argument that they are putting forward now, is out of date. We have no evidence to say how schools perform in these new circumstances. The INTO issued a statement while the minister was still at the podium talking about the heroic commitment of all involved in the process, to say that the plan is 'rushed and reckless'. It will be interesting to see what happens next week when they are due to open.

The evidence they are acting on, is for different circumstances. If it fails, they will just wriggle out of it by saying it was the best evidence available at the time. I bet the defense press release is written already.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Does anyone know when non essential retail such as Vodafone has to close?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

They mentioned fines and imprisonment a couple of minutes ago. Didnt catch what it was in relation to?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

At a time when hospitals are buckling as hospitalisations and ICU admissions increase, why take the risk.. we have very little wiggle room at the moment, delay this decision as a matter of common sense.
    Oh I agree, no need for it at all.
    GreeBo wrote: »
    I don't think you can figure too much out from positivity rates when the criteria for performing tests are so arbitrary and we are testing a statistically small number
    The criteria are fairly clear tbh, but you're not wrong that we should be careful about assuming anything about these numbers.

The one thing we do know is that it's a selection of the infected. So if the swabs numbers drop, it logically follows that the actual number of infected is dropping too.

rafi bomb wrote: »
    They mentioned fines and imprisonment a couple of minutes ago. Didnt catch what it was in relation to?
    If people travel in from Britain or South Africa without a negative test.

Stheno wrote: »
    Does anyone know when non essential retail such as Vodafone has to close?

Vodafone is essential is it not as involves the provision of an essential service.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

If people travel in from Britain or South Africa without a negative test. No specifics about whether that includes NI.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If people travel in from Britain or South Africa without a negative test. No specifics about whether that includes NI.
    No, it's travellers from Britain specifically. NI is not part of Britain.

Is there a list of construction sites that will stay open?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

How Eamon Ryan can have the audacity to stand up on that podium with a straight face after rejecting nphets advice of a pre arrival pcr test in october is really something.

It's even more egregious now that we know the 40% positivity rate.

In any other job he would be sacked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Take away pints should never have been allowed.

Angry over pints

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

seamus wrote: »
    No, it's travellers from Britain specifically. NI is not part of Britain.

Have they found the new strain in NI? They've found it in Ireland, is itmore a case of us infecting them with it than the other way around at this point? (but obviously they have way more covid cases)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Is there a list of construction sites that will stay open?
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#construction

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Vodafone is essential is it not as involves the provision of an essential service.

New guidelines seem to say emergency only

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

So what happens... fine you and let you in after you promise to isolate, or deny entry? An what is the reason for waiting to extend the restriction to other countries... Ryan was saying its going to take a at least a week to talk to stakeholders.... Just do it, you are the frigging government.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Missed bit about takeaway pints, are they not allowed so?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Take away pints should never have been allowed.

Still not a yes or no though.

There's no change listed on gov.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Ger Roe wrote: »
    So what happens... fine you and let you in after you promise to isolate, or deny entry? An what is the reason for waiting to extend the restriction to other countries... Ryan was saying its going to take a at least a week to talk to stakeholders.... Just do it, you are the frigging government.

He's saying guards can also arrest you depending on circumstances, up to 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

If i can pick up a coffee and go for a walk why can't I pick up a hot whiskey! Faux rage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement