Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXI-187,554 ROI (2,970 deaths) 100,319 NI (1,730 deaths)(24/01)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

pc7 wrote: »
    No ours goes out first working day of the month so went out Monday

We’ve been told our January fee can be used against the next month that the creche is back open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

Pcgamer wrote: »
    Happy though the take away pints are done away with, should never of been allowed.

Well, we don't know that.

Bars are off licences so they'd have to change the law then, which ain't gonna happen.

Can't stop them selling them as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Pcgamer

tom1ie wrote: »
    Are we this dependent on alcohol?
    Hardly.

Yes, a lot of people are. Alchololics require medical supervision to detox Other people use it as a crutch.

Suicide rates would soar. I don't think you have any idea of the amount of alcoholics in Ireland.

Welcome to the Real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭grinder23

Communications and phone repair is essential and was open during the lockdown last lockdown proper

They were closed in 1st lock down until 18th May

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

Are large scale foreign investment developments avoiding these restrictions. We’ve been told the rumour is we are staying open.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

MOR316 wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's an appeal by him for pubs to take the action instead and no longer sell as changing the law is trickier.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

People on about closing off licenses really?

If off licenses were shut the hospitals would not be able to cope. Thousands upon thousands of alcoholics would need medical supervision to detox.

Riots would happen and break ins would happen all over the country. Suicide rate would jump through the roof.

Happy though the take away pints are done away with, should never of been allowed.

You know you can by alcohol in supermarkets?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

tom1ie wrote: »
    Are we this dependent on alcohol?
    Hardly.

Alcoholics are dependent on alcohol, yes.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'd just like to point out that I was told this by my friend who is reliable, that we would be in lockdown come the 1st week of January and closed until the end of March.
    I posted the information here some time ago and I have been accused of trolling by a Mod whilst others said I was talking ****, trying to scare people

Cheers for that

Mod:

Week's forum ban for breaching your threadban

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Tsunami, the new buzzword during the pandemic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

giphy.gif

Did Mr. Bean join the cabinet?

You know you can by alcohol in supermarkets?

A lot of towns and villages in ireland don't have supermarkets.

Off licenses only and small shops that don't sell alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Tpcl20 wrote: »
    giphy.gif

i always think of this when i see eamonn.

tenor.gif?itemid=5245718

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The takeaway pints ire is utterly hilarious. Our covid cases spiked because we moved people indoors. Takeaway pints are relatively safe and should absolutely be allowed at the lower levels. I can understand removing them now as we need people to just stay at home, but the frothing at the mouth over them is ridiculous.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

We’ve been told our January fee can be used against the next month that the creche is back open.

Hopefully we get the same

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

If off licenses were shut the hospitals would not be able to cope. Thousands upon thousands of alcoholics would need medical supervision to detox.

Riots would happen and break ins would happen all over the country. Suicide rate would jump through the roof.

Dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,984 ✭✭✭dodzy

ForestFire wrote: »
    Missed the live performance.

Cam some one clarify the points below.

I presume they are all now banned as they are practically the same thing??

1) Take away points in pubs not allowed?
    2) Take away drinks from restaurants not allowed?
    3) Off licenses closed?
    4) Sale of alcohol in supermarkets not allowed??

So you think 1 & 3 are “practically the same thing”?

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Yes, a lot of people are. Alchololics require medical supervision to detox Other people use it as a crutch.

Suicide rates would soar. I don't think you have any idea of the amount of alcoholics in Ireland.

Tbf, you can easily do things without banning them completely to cut down on the possibility of house parties anyway. Sale limits would be a big thing for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

... they worked out during the summer how many teachers they needed to hire that year for the number of students they had

rather than having two classes with 15 students you combine the classes into one so you only have to pay one teacher and you only have to hire the one teacher. That's why some students don't get their options, that's why small schools offer fewer options

If there are 46 people wanting to do home economics then there is only one home economics class, you don't run one class of 30 and one of 16 (or two of 23) because that's an extra teacher.

I’m referring to the teachers already on the books. There is only about 60,000 LC students are you saying the required number of teachers to come up with a workable solution are not on the present payroll?

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Dramatic.

You must live in a bubble. Do you tealize the number of alcoholics in ireland?

Hospitals would be overwhelmed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Teachers have given up before even trying to make a safe plan. Disappointing attitude.
    There will be war over the Leaving Cert decision. Unworkable. Teachers will say same. Foley is very very poor.
    khalessi wrote: »
    Everywhere but in schools it says considered a close contact if 15 minutes in company of someone who tests positive. LC students are adult sized some are size of rugby players, but yeah safe.:rolleyes:

We have now no track and trace interesting experiment
    ... they worked out during the summer how many teachers they needed to hire that year for the number of students they had

rather than having two classes with 15 students you combine the classes into one so you only have to pay one teacher and you only have to hire the one teacher. That's why some students don't get their options, that's why small schools offer fewer options

If there are 46 people wanting to do home economics then there is only one home economics class, you don't run one class of 30 and one of 16 (or two of 23) because that's an extra teacher.

Mod:

Keep the school discussion in the schools thread or there's no point in having a seperate one and we'll just close it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Did I hear right before that there is a website that tells you where Garda checkpoints are? It might have been speedvans actually.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

titan18 wrote: »
    Tbf, you can easily do things without banning them completely to cut down on the possibility of house parties anyway. Sale limits would be a big thing for one.

That might work, if alcohol was the driver of these house parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

The thing covid has really shone a light on is the futility of life, and what a great number of people's enjoyment of life actually comes down to. And I'm not just talking about alcoholics, it's a melancholic thought to consider what things constitute fundamental pillars of people's lives like going to the gym or the shops. It's like we're just feicin around figuring out stuff to do under we kick the bucket. I'm saying this from the perspective that it's interesting rather than depressing btw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Endintheclowns

Arduach wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Did Mr. Bean join the cabinet?

:pac: Oh Christ that's embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

You must live in a bubble.

Yes I am currently living in my household bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

My fiance's parents got tested Sunday, they paid an amount - either €20 or €50, and got the results (negative) 20 minutes later.

That couldn't have been a PCR test in that timeframe. Absolutely impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

titan18 wrote: »

I used to shop regularly in Enniskillen. There was a limit on the sale of paracetamol. Two packs per customer. Meant going to several different retailers. Can’t see how it would work out differently for off sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

:pac: Oh Christ that's embarrassing

The brown suit and all!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Well, we don't know that.

Bars are off licences so they'd have to change the law then, which ain't gonna happen.

A lot of cities bylaws have rules banning the outside consumption of alcohol.

That can be enforced on the people drinking takeaway pints in the street.

License laws too. Someone gets a drink from a pub acting as an off license and drinks it within 100 metres of the pub.

The pub is in breach of licensing laws and is closed and fined.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement