Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXI-187,554 ROI (2,970 deaths) 100,319 NI (1,730 deaths)(24/01)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Did I hear right before that there is a website that tells you where Garda checkpoints are? It might have been speedvans actually.

Theres maps alright for the speed van locations but they can turn up on any road really.

For checkpoints no idea if there's a website. Usually a few Facebook pages posting the locations. Traffic already much lighter though so they might not be that busy wherever they set up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

7836 cases 13 deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 15,357 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

7836 cases

17 deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Pcgamer wrote: »
    A lot of towns and villages in ireland don't have supermarkets.

Off licenses only and small shops that don't sell alcohol.

I didn't think of that!

Yeah ok! better leave the open or thousands will need hospital beds

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

They need to have checkpoints on border of Sligo, Leitrim, Cavan, Meath and Louth to stop people trying to get into Republic of Ireland from NI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Vicxas wrote: »
    7836 cases

17 deaths

Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

7836 cases

17 deaths

Eugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Did I hear right before that there is a website that tells you where Garda checkpoints are? It might have been speedvans actually.

Pages on FB for years advising where checkpoints are. Some would advise where a MIT check was but a lot don’t out of social responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Massive numbers now. Our response has been a failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

:pac: Oh Christ that's embarrassing

It is a bit comical looking, but he's the first person I've seen in any briefing acknowledge and thank the interpreter, which is a nice thing to do at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Sizeable backlog coming through there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

7836 cases

17 deaths
    Has the backlog been cleared yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

nj27 wrote: »
    The thing covid has really shone a light on is the futility of life, and what a great number of people's enjoyment of life actually comes down to. And I'm not just talking about alcoholics, it's a melancholic thought to consider what things constitute fundamental pillars of people's lives like going to the gym or the shops. It's like we're just feicin around figuring out stuff to do under we kick the bucket. I'm saying this from the perspective that it's interesting rather than depressing btw.

Gyms came in when physical work declined - people need to move and exert themselves. You might as well point to eating or sleeping as indicative of futility.

Also we under-estimated (or I did) how badly sedentariness and obesity put people at risk of dying. Eye-opener.

I used to shop regularly in Enniskillen. There was a limit on the sale of paracetamol. Two packs per customer. Meant going to several different retailers. Can’t see how it would work out differently for off sales.

There's a limit on the sale of paracetamol everywhere, if you've been getting more than 2 packs anywhere you should report that business before they kill someone

Just because we can do something doesn't mean we do, it seems that the more steps you put into something the less likely people are to do it. I mean a home page used to reduce the number of people using your website by 80% and that was just one click! that's why sites don't have entrance pages anymore, they have important stuff on teh main page

It's counterintuitive but basically everything you do for thousands of people you have to do for the lizard brain, all that matters is that subconsciously it's a pain the the ass to go to two different places, and you will save lives

it doesn't work with individuals but it works well with populations, it's so strange

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

Gael23 wrote: »

I wouldn't say sizeable sadly....6862 positive swabs today

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

Arghus wrote: »
    It is a bit comical looking, but he's the first person I've seen in any briefing acknowledge and thank the interpreter, which is a nice thing to do at the end of the day.

Agreed, and I imagine he's overcompensating for not being able to thank the interpreter with his mask on.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

If there is, there will be another backlog from today as there were approx. 6800 positive swabs reported today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

khalessi wrote: »
    Has the backlog been cleared yet?

No still around 8K

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Only about a 1000. That still leaves a backlog of like 8k (ish)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Endintheclowns

7836 cases

17 deaths

Remember when 3000k a day was laughed out of the room.

Schools are safe though. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Daisy000

To close the schools to reduce mobility and put parents under pressure to deal with childcare is ok with the government so why we don’t close manufacturing to reduce the mobility so parents can stay at home and look after the school age children?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

Arghus wrote: »

It shows the gentleman he is. Just looks a little comical :)

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

I don't see anything online about the 5km limit being reduced, so assume that's staying as is? Would rather not run into a checkpoint if it can be avoided.

nj27 wrote: »
    The thing covid has really shone a light on is the futility of life, and what a great number of people's enjoyment of life actually comes down to. And I'm not just talking about alcoholics, it's a melancholic thought to consider what things constitute fundamental pillars of people's lives like going to the gym or the shops. It's like we're just feicin around figuring out stuff to do under we kick the bucket. I'm saying this from the perspective that it's interesting rather than depressing btw.

John Lennon made a reflection on this kind of thing in a line in a song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

There's a limit on the sale of paracetamol everywhere, if you've been getting more than 2 packs anywhere you should report that business before they kill someone

Just because we can do something doesn't mean we do, it seems that the more steps you put into something the less likely people are to do it. I mean a home page used to reduce the number of people using your website by 80% and that was just one click! that's why sites don't have entrance pages anymore, they have important stuff on teh main page

It's counterintuitive but basically everything you do for thousands of people you have to do for the lizard brain, all that matters is that subconsciously it's a pain the the ass to go to two different places, and you will save lives

it doesn't work with individuals but it works well with populations, it's so strange

Do you read before you reply by any chance?

Daisy000 wrote: »
    To close the schools to reduce mobility and put parents under pressure to deal with childcare is ok with the government so why we don’t close manufacturing to reduce the mobility so parents can stay at home and look after the school age children?

Yeah i do not believe that manufacturing is lower risk than construction, no way.

Close manufacturing except for food / medicine and the other no doubt large list of things that are essential and I'm not remembering

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

AutoTuning wrote: »
    I could see industrial action being likely over this.
    That would merely reinforce the perception that teachers unions have the collective IQ of a toadstool.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

7836 cases 13 deaths
    7836 cases

17 deaths

RIP

:(

We could be nearing 10,000 cases a day, is there still back log?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

34 deaths in the last two days.

About to get very sad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Are building providers/tiles etc closed now as well?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement