Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXI-187,554 ROI (2,970 deaths) 100,319 NI (1,730 deaths)(24/01)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

is_that_so wrote: »
    That would merely reinforce the perception that teachers unions have the collective IQ of a toadstool.

Agreeing not to go to work because you feel it's unsafe is not an indicator of IQ.. more anxiety and fear, which you can regard as rational or irrational but not unintelligent

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    RIP

:(

We could be nearing 10,000 cases a day, is there still back log?

Backlog of about 8k

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Endintheclowns

Over 1k deaths in the UK today and highest ever cases. Completely out of control now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

RIP

About 8,000 someone said.

We haven't taken more than 1000 backlog in a day so it sounds close enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Hospital and ICU numbers today ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I don't see anything online about the 5km limit being reduced, so assume that's staying as is? Would rather not run into a checkpoint if it can be avoided.
    They did say it was not under discussion. 5km is a reasonable compromise and keep people very local.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

RIP

Wow. I knew the Christmas would **** us over but not by that amount. Can see current restrictions lasting till at least mid Feb, then possibly level 4 until end of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭atilladehun

nj27 wrote: »
    The thing covid has really shone a light on is the futility of life, and what a great number of people's enjoyment of life actually comes down to. And I'm not just talking about alcoholics, it's a melancholic thought to consider what things constitute fundamental pillars of people's lives like going to the gym or the shops. It's like we're just feicin around figuring out stuff to do under we kick the bucket. I'm saying this from the perspective that it's interesting rather than depressing btw.

Always has been really, no? Even trying to answer the question what is the meaning of life is just filling in time till there's no more time.

I could never understand people who became melancholy over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭blowitupref

RIP

Today's total includes 974 backlog cases. The previous two days included 1810.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Pcgamer wrote: »
    Yes, a lot of people are. Alchololics require medical supervision to detox Other people use it as a crutch.

Suicide rates would soar. I don't think you have any idea of the amount of alcoholics in Ireland.

Welcome to the Real world.

Ok.
    Educate me and tell me how many people are alcoholics in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

An example of the stupidity out there. A direct report of mine has tested positive and is at home. I told them not to send anything to me, certs etc, that can be all sorted when they get back. Anyway, today I had an envelope thrown on my desk after work. I opened it and it was medical certs and a letter from the positive colleague. Anyway threw it on the ground, straight to wash and sanitize hands. I noticed that the letter wasn't posted so I asked around as to where it came out of. Another colleague said they went out to the person's house to collect it. ****ing hell, I'm fuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

statesaver wrote: »
    Hospital and ICU numbers today ?

954 / 88

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Over 1k deaths in the UK today and highest ever cases. Completely out of control now.

The latest strain seems to be a bit of a beast ......imagine even more new variants ......then imagine if they're even worse

This is a very steep slope. This happened in level 3

This is a thing that is happening

954 / 88

Oh fuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

34 deaths in the last two days.

About to get very sad

Yes, unfortunately.

These next few weeks are not going to be particularly hopeful ones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Endintheclowns

is_that_so wrote: »
    That would merely reinforce the perception that teachers unions have the collective IQ of a toadstool.

Would you sit in a room for 6 hrs with 25 young adults from different households 3 days a week in the middle of a pandemic that is reaching its peak?

Remember now if you somehow get very ill you might not get an ICU bed. Answer truthfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

30000 in hospital with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I blame Ryan Tubridy and his like....and their overhyping of christmas/Toyshow etc...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Has the South African variant been detected in Europe yet ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Further to Belgium, France and USA which confirmed their highest annual deaths in a year since WW2 and in the case of USA since records began.

Unsurprisingly Italy, Netherlands and Poland also now confirm deaths in 2020 are the highest since 1944 and in UK since 1940.

Italy
    https://www.thelocal.it/20201216/italy-records-highest-annual-death-toll-since-world-war-two?fbclid=IwAR1Urljxvp68-dt2kIw5xWBLlVjc4Ccf7ybrXoVYTSivVfT-VbKAQ_-I2Qc

Netherlands
    https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2020/12/dutch-excess-death-rate-tops-13000-this-year-coronavirus-the-likely-cause/

UK
    https://twitter.com/NickStripe_ONS/status/1346863072435179520

Poland
    https://notesfrompoland.com/2021/01/04/poland-recorded-more-deaths-in-2020-than-any-year-since-wwii/
    Spain does not have a report explicitly saying this but it's excess deaths are the highest per capita in the EU after Belgium, so same story for them.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-spain-idUSL8N2IQ308

Ireland is now one of only a handful of European countries to see normal range mortality in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

954 / 88

I think we get the latest numbers after 8 and based on the rate we've been growing could get over 1000

sonofenoch wrote: »
    The latest strain seems to be a bit of a beast ......imagine even more new variants ......then imagine if they're even worse

how about we don't imagine that, if that's ok

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

An example of the stupidity out there. A direct report of mine has tested positive and is at home. I told them not to send anything to me, certs etc, that can be all sorted when they get back. Anyway, today I had an envelope thrown on my desk after work. I opened it and it was medical certs and a letter from the positive colleague. Anyway threw it on the ground, straight to wash and sanitize hands. I noticed that the letter wasn't posted so I asked around as to where it came out of. Another colleague said they went out to the person's house to collect it. ****ing hell, I'm fuming.

That’s some dumb people you have working for you.

statesaver wrote: »
    Has the South African variant been detected in Europe yet ?

yes they have found it in people who have traveled from SA but not people in the community yet

That’s some dumb people you have working for you.

i would be a terrible boss if i had to work in a pandemic. They would never hear the end of it, i would persecute them as far as the law would allow me

nah probably not i'm too scared to be impolite

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Would you sit in a room for 6 hrs with 25 young adults from different households 3 days a week in the middle of a pandemic that is reaching its peak?

Remember now if you somehow get very ill you might not get an ICU bed. Answer truthfully.

Yep, but I clearly have different perceptions of risk to you. As for the illness they are at far lower risk of needing that ICU bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

sonofenoch wrote: »

This wont be over till 2023 at the earliest. The governments and the WHO need to start being honest with people.

https://www.top1000funds.com/2020/12/2023-until-normal-returns/

"Speaking at FIS Digital 2020 Dr Ian Norton, founder and managing director of Respond Global and the former global head of WHO’s Emergency Medical Team Initiative warned the 185-odd asset owner attendees with a collective $11 trillion assets under management that a long road to normal still lies ahead.

“We’ve never seen a pandemic end in less than two years,” he said."

yes they have found it in people who have traveled from SA but not people in the community yet

Jesus, that's all we need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

George Lee currently climaxing on RTE 1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement