Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXI-187,554 ROI (2,970 deaths) 100,319 NI (1,730 deaths)(24/01)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

An example of the stupidity out there. A direct report of mine has tested positive and is at home. I told them not to send anything to me, certs etc, that can be all sorted when they get back. Anyway, today I had an envelope thrown on my desk after work. I opened it and it was medical certs and a letter from the positive colleague. Anyway threw it on the ground, straight to wash and sanitize hands. I noticed that the letter wasn't posted so I asked around as to where it came out of. Another colleague said they went out to the person's house to collect it. ****ing hell, I'm fuming.

Both of them should face disciplinary action especially the muppet who visited the house then came into the office

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

George is very excited

• Registered Users Posts: 24,360 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

pc7 wrote: »
    No ours goes out first working day of the month so went out Monday

Same

Most large creches will collect monthly

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

George is very excited

I can imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Just after seeing the pre arrival pcr test requirement ONLY for south Africa and Britain.

Another mind boggling stupid decision.

I'm really losing hope at this stage with these clowns in charge.

• Advertisement

Just after seeing the pre arrival pcr test requirement ONLY for south Africa and Britain.

Another mind boggling stupid decision.

I'm really losing hope at this stage with these clowns in charge.

For now

It will be extended

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yep, but I clearly have different perceptions of risk to you. As for the illness they are at far lower risk of needing that ICU bed.

Young people have like a 20% risk of long covid, and something like 25% of people get organ damage even with mild covid and we don't know what the long term effects of it will be

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2021/0106/1187935-long-covid-symptoms/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Young people have like a 20% risk of long covid, and something like 25% of people get organ damage even with mild covid and we don't know what the long term effects of it will be

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2021/0106/1187935-long-covid-symptoms/
    Of the people who catch COVID. From your link, which I'd already read.

"Scientists are still researching long Covid. It's not well understood"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Young people have like a 20% risk of long covid

No they don't

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

06-01-2021-p1.jpg
    06-01-2021-p2.jpg
    06-01-2021-p3.jpg
    06-01-2021-p4.jpg
    06-01-2021-p5.jpg
    06-01-2021-p6.jpg
    06-01-2021-p7.jpg
    06-01-2021-p8.jpg

Checked records and 879 was the highest previously recorded on the 13/04/2020 on a hse operations report and 881 on the 15/04/2020 for gov.ie daily report

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

George is very excited

2020-10-18_new_63409566_I1.JPG

This wont be over till 2023 at the earliest. The governments and the WHO need to start being honest with people.

https://www.top1000funds.com/2020/12/2023-until-normal-returns/

"Speaking at FIS Digital 2020 Dr Ian Norton, founder and managing director of Respond Global and the former global head of WHO’s Emergency Medical Team Initiative warned the 185-odd asset owner attendees with a collective $11 trillion assets under management that a long road to normal still lies ahead.

“We’ve never seen a pandemic end in less than two years,” he said."

They are being honest with people, no one is pretending anything is a sure thing.

There's also chance this will be here forever, plenty of pandemics never go away. No one is trying to hide that fact we are just hoping for the best

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭strawdog

George is very excited

In fairness to him, at least for once he lead his piece noting the back log being thrown in before he launched into the usual breathless panic attack of a report.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

This wont be over till 2023 at the earliest. The governments and the WHO need to start being honest with people.

https://www.top1000funds.com/2020/12/2023-until-normal-returns/

"Speaking at FIS Digital 2020 Dr Ian Norton, founder and managing director of Respond Global and the former global head of WHO’s Emergency Medical Team Initiative warned the 185-odd asset owner attendees with a collective $11 trillion assets under management that a long road to normal still lies ahead.

“We’ve never seen a pandemic end in less than two years,” he said."

There is a difference between a pandemic being over in two years, as in the disease dying out, and there being a need to respond to it at such a high alert level for 2 years, When the elderly are vaccinated the pandemic will continuee but our response to it looking anything like it has over the last year will certainly be over by late Spring 2021.

growleaves wrote: »
    No they don't

Did you read the article i sent?

Huge numbers of people, something like a quarter of people, who recover at home at home still have heart abnormalities months later. Overall prevalence of long covid is like 4%, depending on how you define it,

This is very dangerous for young people and can have long term impacts on their health, after this we will have a lot more people who are working part time or unable to work because of CFS, unless the CFS that covid is causing goes away, and we don't know if it will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Some potentially good news on the face of it

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1346878864186814470

https://twitter.com/florian_krammer/status/1346838414864371719

Abstract here for the nuance (it's early days)

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2021/01/05/science.abf4063
    While immune memory is the source of long-term protective immunity, direct conclusions about protective immunity cannot be made on the basis of quantifying SARS-CoV-2 circulating antibodies, memory B cells, CD8+ T cells, and CD4+ T cells, because mechanisms of protective immunity against SARS-CoV-2 or COVID-19 are not defined in humans. Nevertheless, some reasonable interpretations can be made. Antibodies are the only component of immune memory that can provide truly sterilizing immunity. Immunization studies in non-human primates have indicated that circulating neutralization titers of ~200 may provide sterilizing immunity against a relatively high dose URT challenge (66), and neutralizing titers of ~3,400 may provide sterilizing immunity against a very high dose URT challenge (67), although direct comparisons are not possible because the neutralizing antibody assays have not been standardized (3). Conclusions are also constrained by the limited overall amount of data on protective immunity to SARS-CoV-2.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

bb1234567 wrote: »
    There is a difference between a pandemic being over in two years, as in the disease dying out, and there being a need to respond to it at such a high alert level for 2 years, When the elderly are vaccinated the pandemic will continuee but our response to it looking anything like it has over the last year will certainly be over by late Spring 2021.

Spring is very very optimistic. We need all the optimism we can get at the moment I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Daisy000

Would you sit in a room for 6 hrs with 25 young adults from different households 3 days a week in the middle of a pandemic that is reaching its peak?

Remember now if you somehow get very ill you might not get an ICU bed. Answer truthfully.

Well how about sitting for 12h with 400 others on manufacturing floor 36h per week in the middle of the pandemic? I think to keep schools opened is more important than non essential manufacturing...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Anyone flying and doesn’t fancy one of those yucky tests, make sure you fly home via Belfast. You can get the train back to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭circadian

It's going to be a few years of this, possibly follow up vaccinations every 9-12 months. The problem isn't vaccinating the nation, I think we could have that done by the end of year with ease.

It's people travelling from elsewhere, there are plenty of other countries who have a much, much tougher job of vaccinations. We'll certainly reduce outbreaks but there's still a risk of infections coming from outside the herd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,360 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Hard to believe with everything that a blind eye was thrown over places selling takeaway pints..

That it even had to be highlighted..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yep, but I clearly have different perceptions of risk to you. As for the illness they are at far lower risk of needing that ICU bed.

Tbf that's the students. There are teachers who are 60+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Staggering curve that just keeps going.......Nobody foresaw this level. It's beyond the worst case scenarios of everyone. 3 day doubling time. ~20% per day growth rate.

Mental. Stay safe.

538567.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭billyhead

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Anyone flying and doesn’t fancy one of those yucky tests, make sure you fly home via Belfast. You can get the train back to Dublin.

Why would you even encourage this. No wonder we are where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭circadian

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Wonder where this surge is coming from if everyone is giving out genuinely helpful advice such as this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Staggering curve that just keeps going.......Nobody foresaw this level. It's beyond the worst case scenarios of everyone. 3 day doubling time. ~20% per day growth rate.

Mental. Stay safe.

538567.png

Is it meaningful to fit an epi curve onto data distorted by the backlog issue?
    Have you tried fitting the swab data?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Mick Martin ......'takeaway beers encourage crowds to gather which can lead to the spread of the virus...................then, schools are safe for young people etc etc'

and the spread of the virus???

I don't really understand the logic on schools if I'm honest, is it not a gathering of a crowd the same as any other

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Ireland has not closed schools.

They are open Monday-Friday from next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Daisy000 wrote: »
    Well how about sitting for 12h with 400 others on manufacturing floor 36h per week in the middle of the pandemic? I think to keep schools opened is more important than non essential manufacturing...

Tell me which manufacturing co employs more than 400 in one shift, without Social Distancing, or masks?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement