Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXI-187,554 ROI (2,970 deaths) 100,319 NI (1,730 deaths)(24/01)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The support bubble is definitely still allowed, as it was before Christmas..... between friends or family members who are isolated, alone, vulnerable. It does not have to be to provide essential care. There is a difference.
    My support bubble is with my daughter in Limerick. I live in Louth. She had a baby 7 weeks ago and she is struggling and very tired as the baby has severe reflux and she also has a 19 month old. I have travelled a few times to be with her since Christmas. Absolutely no problem at all with Garda checkpoints.
    Not as it was allowed as a social activity. Your case is clearly essential care

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

is_that_so wrote: »

You are allowed form a bubble if you live alone

You can form a support bubble with another household if you:

are living alone with children under the age of 18
    live alone
    share parenting or custody arrangements
    live with an adult you provide care for (for example a dependent adult relation or a partner with dementia)
    live by yourself and have a carer or carers who support you, including a live-in carer

It does not specify for what reason at all

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    You can form a support bubble with another household if you:

are living alone with children under the age of 18
    live alone
    share parenting or custody arrangements
    live with an adult you provide care for (for example a dependent adult relation or a partner with dementia)
    live by yourself and have a carer or carers who support you, including a live-in carer
    That's the support bubble definition. The updated main document from January 16 says essential care only. Hopefully it will return to its original form soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Very high number of deaths. May they rest in peace.

Was always going to be the outcome down the line if your getting multiple thousand daily cases

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I posted the link re support bubbles on gov.ie where it gives the definition of a bubble, can you show me where it mentions essential care?

• Advertisement

That's the support bubble definition. The updated main document from January 16 says essential care only.

If her friend is lonely and needs to see others then it’s essential in my book

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

wadacrack wrote: »
    Strange thing to say when theirs 77 deaths tbh
    The lower the cases the lower the deaths will be in a few weeks. The current high daily deaths is because we were getting on average 6,000 cases per day.

I posted the link re support bubbles on gov.ie where it gives the definition of a bubble, can you show me where it mentions essential care?

Here. Under Social and family gatherings. There's also a link there to the bubble support page.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#your-guide-to-the-new-changes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Exactly, that's the literal point of the support bubble.

I have no issue with that but they did make the point of essential care.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

That still allows people living alone meet another person?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Strange thing to say when theirs 77 deaths tbh

The deaths occurring now are unfortunately an inevitable result of the previous high case numbers. The deaths that occur two months from now are still to be determined. If we continue our good progress we can reduce these potential deaths even further through the reduction in cases. That is the positive we can focus on. Our cases are going in the right direction, our deaths and hospitalisations will slowly follow if we keep this rate of reduction going. So far so good.

At least now there is a chance our hospitals ICUs might cope. It'll be very fcking close.

It even mentions a support bubble in your link?
    And a support bubble can be formed if you live alone .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Here. Under Social and family gatherings. There's also a link there to the bubble support page.

It literally lists 'support bubble' as one of the essential reasons.

Stheno wrote: »

Yes it does

Social and family gatherings
    In your home or garden

No visitors are permitted in private homes or gardens except for essential family reasons such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people, or as part of a support bubble.

Read your own link very carefully

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Turtwig wrote: »
    The deaths occurring now are unfortunately an inevitable result of the previous high case numbers. The deaths that occur two months from now are still to be determined. If we continue our good progress we can reduce these potential deaths even further through the reduction in cases. That is the positive we can focus on. Our cases are going in the right direction, our deaths and hospitalisations will slowly follow.

I think most realise that. To just ignore the deaths and focus on a phycological boost with a number under 2,000 shows a lack of empathy and perspective. This was all avoidable.

Stheno wrote: »
    Yeah, I think it does, but with added extra conditions. I understood it to be in the context of no house visitors unless absolutely necessary.

Yes it does

Social and family gatherings
    In your home or garden

No visitors are permitted in private homes or gardens except for essential family reasons such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people, or as part of a support bubble.

It's the same use of language that we saw with the green lists, designed to put people off.

On that link it says:

“Social and family gatherings
    In your home or garden

No visitors are permitted in private homes or gardens except for essential family reasons such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people, or as part of a support bubble.”

If you click on “support bubble”, it brings you to the exact link I posted where it clearly says you can be in a support bubble if you or another household live alone. There is no mention of it only being for essential care.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/3516d-support-bubbles/#who-can-form-a-support-bubble

Where does it say that? Going by the information in the link above, you can form a support bubble if you live alone, so as not to risk social isolation. It doesn’t mention anything about essential care.

Just be honest with the Guards if stopped. Once you have a reasonable excuse their is no issue. Travelled from my home outside Roscommon to Limerick to my son stopped and asked the purpose of my trip by AGS told the reasons no issue went on my way.

No they didn’t

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

As a single person household, the OP is allowed to visit their support bubble under the current (updated 16Jan21) restrictions.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#social-and-family-gatherings

"No visitors are permitted in private homes or gardens except for essential family reasons such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people, or as part of a support bubble."

I think most realise that. To just ignore the deaths and focus on a phycological boost with a number under 2,000 shows a lack of empathy and perspective. This was all avoidable.

No, it simply shows an ability to deal with the different elements separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭blowitupref

seamus wrote: »

I'd be more inclined to keep eyes on the prize short term. If the 7-day average next Saturday is around 3,000, then we're still on track.

7-day average of 2349 today which shows we are very much on track. What do you reckon the 7-day average will be this day week?

No they didn’t

Go ahead , it is allowed to form a bubble with anyone who lives alone . You may visit if you have formed a bubble
    They allowed it as it was seen to be essential to avoid loneliness

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Cases are under 2k and people still can't be optimistic, this place is really soul destroying sometimes. People dieing in a global pandemic shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

Young people are not impacted, that's why they were able to open up all the schools at the end of last year.

and see how the cases started to rise the minute they were opened!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

niallo27 wrote: »
    Cases are under 2k and people still can't be optimistic, this place is really soul destroying sometimes. People dieing in a global pandemic shock.

Its not about being optimistic or pessimistic, showing a decent level of emotional intelligence in a pandemic would help alot of posters here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I don't think anyone is ignoring the deaths tbf. Any loss of life to this virus is awful and 77 is very high. I can understand people seeking a glimmer of hope from the cases declining. I don't think people should be made guilty for that. This has been a terrible time. Obviously anyone who has been sick with this or lost family or friends experienced the worst of it. Nobody is ignoring that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement