Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXI-187,554 ROI (2,970 deaths) 100,319 NI (1,730 deaths)(24/01)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It's snowing!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Eod100 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is ignoring the deaths tbf. Any loss of life to this virus is awful and 77 is very high. I can understand people seeking a glimmer of hope from the cases declining. I don't think people should be made guilty for that. This has been a terrible time. Obviously anyone who has been sick with this or lost family or friends experienced the worst of it. Nobody is ignoring that.

Maybe. Though people definitely are ignoring the rising age profile of cases, and accordingly the rising
    rate of hospitalisation.

We've gone from a little over 2% a couple of weeks ago to 5.28%

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

New research paper in the journal Nature shows an “impressive linear correlation with latitude” and the surge in new Covid cases in most European countries during autumn – pointing to vitamin D as a contributing factor.

The conclusion from their research is thus:

'As already evidenced by previous correlation studies, a low 25(OH)D concentration should be considered a contributing factor to COVID-19 severity.

Europe and the northern USA are starting a long COVID-19 crisis this autumn, as they will return to a level above the October sun UV daily dose only at the end of March 2021.

Measures to reduce the pandemic severity during the coming winter using controlled preventive vitamin D supplementation should be considered.'

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-81419-w

Bolded emphasis is mine.
    Will the government/NPHET start giving consideration to launching a national public health campaign encouraging people to increase their Vitamin D intake with this in mind? It's becoming harder to understand why they don't push this, they're very slow to react at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

It's snowing!

Is this good news or bad news??Jaysus I can’t tell any more....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

New research paper in the journal Nature shows an “impressive linear correlation with latitude” and the surge in new Covid cases in most European countries during autumn – pointing to vitamin D as a contributing factor.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-81419-w

Will the government/NPHET start giving consideration to launching a national public health campaign encouraging people to increase their Vitamin D intake with this in mind? It's becoming harder to understand why they don't push this, they're very slow to react at times.
    There is a programme for kids and a general you should take Vitamin D advice. They don't push it as advice with COVID for the lack of clinical trials data. There are some ongoing now I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

polesheep wrote: »
    No, it simply shows an ability to deal with the different elements separately.

but a few months ago posters were just focusing on low deaths all the time when cases going up

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Lower case numbers now means lower deaths in a few weeks, that has to be a reason to be optimistic about todays case numbers if nothing else.

is_that_so wrote: »
    There is a programme for kids and a general you should take Vitamin D advice. They don't push it as advice with COVID for the lack of clinical trials data. There are some ongoing now I believe.

We shouldn't have to wait for clinical trials data on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

If you read the carry on of what went on in Belmullet in the Irish Times article (pints being passed out windows and the like), it would make you feel very angry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

World of its own down there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

niallo27 wrote: »
    Lower case numbers now means lower deaths in a few weeks, that has to be a reason to be optimistic about todays case numbers if nothing else.

Surely that was known

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Agree completely. We cannot reverse what happened around Christmas. And these numbers are a cause for optimism and hopefully continue to go down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Mehole should be charged with criminal negligence. What kind of idiot thought one single person arriving home would self isolate? The very type of person to travel is by default the type least likely to take even the most basic precautions.

Surely that was known

You would think but obviously not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It's snowing!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

We shouldn't have to wait for clinical trials data on this.

We should wait for further studies and datas though.

If you read the carry on of what went on in Belmullet in the Irish Times article (pints being passed out windows and the like), it would make you feel very angry.

Heard stories about a pub in Malahide also.

wadacrack wrote: »
    Its not about being optimistic or pessimistic, showing a decent level of emotional intelligence in a pandemic would help alot of posters here.

People need something to be optimistic about, I'm personally finding it very tough and I'm really low at the moment so seeing these case numbers is something to hope for. That doesn't mean I can't have empathy for the people that died.

Mehole should be charged with criminal negligence. What kind of idiot thought one single person arriving home would self isolate? The very type of person to travel is by default the type least likely to take even the most basic precautions.

No, the hotel owners and operators down there along with those that facilitated this disaster should be charged with criminal negligence. CCTV should be taken from the venue and every single bollocks in attendance should be fined.

The greedy venue operators should never open their doors again.

The ara be grand bull**** needs to end.

People need something to be optimistic about, I'm personally finding it very tough and I'm really low at the moment so seeing these case numbers is something to hope for. That doesn't mean I can't have empathy for the people that died.

I have had 5 weeks now with no contacts. Got into bad habits of not exercising or walking but had a 10km walk today which has done me a world of good and seeing those lower numbers was another nice tonic for the soul.

• Advertisement

Heard stories about a pub in Malahide also.

As have I. It's license should be taken from it and never ever renewed.

Turtwig wrote: »
    We should wait for further studies and datas though.

There is an abundance of data though, time is of the essence.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

As have I. It's license should be taken from it and never ever renewed.

The infamous lockin after the All Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

7-day average of 2349 today which shows we are very much on track. What do you reckon the 7-day average will be this day week?
    On mobile, so completely winging this more than usual with no data to refer to, but we should be conservative about our expectations. The rate of case decline will slow over the next 14 days, and especially when we throw close contact testing back into the mix.

7-day average below 1,800 this day next week would be about the most pessimistic projection. We'd still be on track, but looking at a really slow decline in cases into February.

More realistic is 1,500, but I'm skeptical we'll hit that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,172 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Is The Irish Times article behind a paywall?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

It's snowing!

What county you in?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is The Irish Times article behind a paywall?

Which one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

but a few months ago posters were just focusing on low deaths all the time when cases going up

It's not the same thing. You can be happy about the numbers falling while at the same time be saddened by the deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

No, the hotel owners and operators down there along with those that facilitated this disaster should be charged with criminal negligence. CCTV should be taken from the venue and every single bollocks in attendance should be fined.

The greedy venue operators should never open their doors again.

The ara be grand bull**** needs to end.

500 people dead in the last 10 days and people like this are responsible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement