Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXI-187,554 ROI (2,970 deaths) 100,319 NI (1,730 deaths)(24/01)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Some things are bigger than COVID....and many on these forums are just losing all sense of reasonableness and empathy.

Giving solace with a handshake or a hug potentially filled with an extra dose of covid is neither reasonable nor empathetic.

It's stupid and very selfish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Gradius wrote: »
    As a bare minimum, people need to stop buying stuff from China. It's just got to happen.

They are without a shadow of doubt the world's disease incubator and enriching them is like pressing fast-forward on new pandemics.

How has there not been much more condemnation of China? We should have the biggest most expensive investigation to make sure this ****e doesn't happen again. Pretty tasteless that they celebrated NY while the rest of the world is dealing with the **** they started.

peasant wrote: »
    Giving solace with a handshake or a hug potentially filled with an extra dose of covid is neither reasonable nor empathetic.

Some people here really are gorging on too much RTÉ and too many NPHET briefings. This board isn’t for me any more.

Bye everyone. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Eivor

Stheno wrote: »
    Sorry but they are idiots if they are going to behave like that

No they aren’t. The poster is right. Some things are bigger than Covid. My friends granny has a few weeks to live and has chosen to die in her own home. I can guarantee her whole family will be at that house over the coming weeks and will be crying, hugging and kissing eachother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭patnor1011

tom1ie wrote: »
    Waves are caused by lockdowns. It would be a continuous increase in infections and deaths etc if there was no lockdown.
    On the plus side that would mean herd immunity is reached quicker- as long as the virus didn’t mutate quick enough to negate any immunity gained in the population.
    On the negative side, ya know, deaths and cases etc.

That is only your opinion and not a fact. There are countries with very few lockdowns or none and they experience similar patterns or ups and downs with cases and deaths. It is because it is believed covid is a seasonal virus.
    I do not know what you understand lockdown is - because from what I understand it is just harder to buy certain things yet not much else changed. Every second house in my estate does have a person who works somewhere even during "lockdown" and then they come home potentially exposing their families who meet neighbors in local shop or supermarket.
    According to some scientists who look at data from many countries lockdowns and stay-at-home policies actually accelerated spread because they confined a lot of people in small places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

MattS1 wrote: »
    How has there not been much more condemnation of China? We should have the biggest most expensive investigation to make sure this ****e doesn't happen again. Pretty tasteless that they celebrated NY while the rest of the world is dealing with the **** they started.

It's like this...

Your neighbour from across the road comes over and sets your house on fire. So, your first priority is to put out the flames before retaliation.

If there's any justice in the world, there better be a collective hammering of China after this. That's if we don't get fooked with something else from them in the meantime, which is looking more and more likely.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Eivor wrote: »
    No they aren’t. The poster is right. Some things are bigger than Covid. My friends granny has a few weeks to live and has chosen to die in her own home. I can guarantee her whole family will be at that house over the coming weeks and will be crying, hugging and kissing eachother.

And when one or more of them end up with Covid, that's ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

A new low tonight with posters talking about family members hugging at a funeral. Absolutely obsessed with covid and the **** with everything else in life. I think we are in trouble when all this is over, it's really bringing out some disgusting traits in people.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Eivor

They’re young and healthy enough. They’ll most likely be grand. As I said, some things are greater than Covid

Some people here really are gorging on too much RTÉ and too many NPHET briefings. This board isn’t for me any more.

Bye everyone. Good luck

Some people here are very much able to make up their own minds and assess risks without the help of RTE or NPHET even.

We're not all dependent on somebody else to tell us what is right.

I'm sure there are quite a few people here that have given going to funerals of loved ones a miss in order not to endanger other attendants and cause even more grief.

• Advertisement

More than likely yes. If they think they are in vulnerable category and should protect themselves like being over 60-65 and having several other serious health issues they should probably steer clear. Other people - the absolute majority will not even know they have it.

Yeah. If it is "potentially" catching it then it is also potentially stupid and potentially selfish.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Gradius wrote: »
    As a bare minimum, people need to stop buying stuff from China. It's just got to happen.

They are without a shadow of doubt the world's disease incubator and enriching them is like pressing fast-forward on new pandemics.
    And are people prepared to pay more for that "stuff"?

The world is too globalised to roll back the supply chains that have developed without significant additional cost (which could well outweigh the financial costs of the pandemic).

Then of course the poor in China get even poorer. The wet markets then possibly harbour more of this kind of thing. And like it or not, some will continue to seek products at minimal cost, ultimately much of it emanating from China.

We need to work through solutions that look to keep changes in the way the world operates to a minimum, certainly in the short term. Any major changes are likely to result in unexpected consequences. It's taken decades to build the global economy, and would probably take longer to dismantle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

HSE operations report 23/1.

Covid cases hospitalised as of 8pm 1893 - increase from 1846.
    7 hospitals with over 100 cases.

ICU confirmed Covid cases as of 6.30pm 214 - decrease from 215.
    5 deaths in ICU 24 hours up to 8am.
    Confirmed Covid cases ventilated 131 as of 6.30pm - decrease from 137.

Available ICU beds 24 as of 6.30pm.
    10 ICUs with no available beds.
    Total open and staffed ICU beds 343.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

niallo27 wrote: »
    A new low tonight with posters talking about family members hugging at a funeral. Absolutely obsessed with covid and the **** with everything else in life. I think we are in trouble when all this is over, it's really bringing out some disgusting traits in people.

You do know I presume that there were many clusters of positive cases attributed to funerals ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

majcos wrote: »
    HSE operations report 23/1.

Covid cases hospitalised as of 8pm 1893 - decrease from 1846.
    7 hospitals with over 100 cases.

ICU confirmed Covid cases as of 6.30pm 214 - decrease from 215.
    5 deaths in ICU 24 hours up to 8am.
    Confirmed Covid cases ventilated 131 as of 6.30pm - decrease from 137.

Available ICU beds 24 as of 6.30pm.
    10 ICUs with no available beds.
    Total open and staffed ICU beds 343.

1893 is an increase from 1846, no?

It brings out selfishness. Some people are so scared for themselves that they cry wolf every time they think something somewhere may endanger them.
    Modern thing is that they can disguise their own fear with virtue signalling saying things like we all need to do this and that to help everyone...
    Every person is responsible for their own actions and will pay for them eventually. Be it covid or crossing road when a red light is on. But this hyping of fear and inciting hatred against people who do not conform to your own ideas is pretty much-telling everyone exactly who you are.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    You do know I presume that there were many clusters of positive cases attributed to funerals ?

We are talking about family members here not a 100 person lockin after a funeral. Calling family members idiots for hugging at a funeral is pretty low in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

We are talking about family members here not a 100 person lockin after a funeral. Calling family members idiots for hugging at a funeral is pretty low in fairness.

Just checking that you were aware of clusters happening at funerals among families

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

I am absolutely aching because I can't see my parents, give them a hug, talk with them at length about the goings on of the world (the phone is a poor substitute, and they're half deaf anyway).

My daughter is missing school and her friends; the silly things that happen between six year olds that she'd be full of chat about. Yet she knows to wash her hands, to keep our distance from friends and family, she actively gives out if she sees people going into a shop without a mask.

I would give every fibre of my being for her not to have to go through this. However, she's so matter of fact about why things are the way they are. I hope it doesn't scar her. It's inspiration for us grown ups, though.

We know this will not be forever, that the sacrifices we're making are for the greater good, to keep people that we don't know safe against the risk of transmission. We have less than a year before this is all over.

If it stops one family the heartbreak of having to say goodbye to their loved ones prematurely, without even the comfort of being able to provide sympathy for one another, I'll gladly do whatever it takes to follow the advice given by experts in their field. I wouldn't dream of telling a plumber or electrician how to do their job, just the same as I trust qualified epidemiologists to advise us on best practise.

Next pandemic, I could be one of the elderly or the frail that often get talked about here as the ones 'whose time was up anyway'. My parents made great sacrifices to make me the person I am, I will not cast their generation off as expendable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Just checking that you were aware of clusters happening at funerals among families

Ramsgrange Wexford a fine example and it doesn't matter if it's 100 or 10. Close contact is high risk

While that is the case, for our humanity to be put on hold for the unforeseeable future is incomprehensible to me. Now I'm not talking about a large wake and everyone back to the pub but the simple act of a handshake or a hug.

Only of big funerals, my wife lost her mother during this. I mean do people honestly expect her not to embrace other family members and to actually call her an idiot and selfish for doing it.

A new low, is it?

Let me ask you a question then:

Would you pass though two airports, take a two hour flight in a tube full of strangers and then hug an 80 year old close relative who's just evaded cancer and had several lengthy operations?

Would you?

Or would you try and minimise the risk and just fly to the funeral but keep your distance and keep two meters away at all times, denying them their hug?

Would you do that?

Or ... let's make it really personal..

That 80 year old close relative is my father, the person being buried was my mother and I didn't go to her funeral.

Should I have gone to that funeral to be less "disgusting" in your eyes?

Hmm?

Feck off ..will ya..

Oh and I don't want any sympathy, I'm sure there are plenty people here who had to make similar decisions and are equally insulted by your judgment.

Just think about it ...that'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jasna1982

The support bubble is definitely still allowed, as it was before Christmas..... between friends or family members who are isolated, alone, vulnerable. It does not have to be to provide essential care. There is a difference.
    My support bubble is with my daughter in Limerick. I live in Louth. She had a baby 7 weeks ago and she is struggling and very tired as the baby has severe reflux and she also has a 19 month old. I have travelled a few times to be with her since Christmas. Absolutely no problem at all with Garda checkpoints.

Do you just tell gardai you’re going to your support bubble? Or do you need to declare them somewhere and have proof?

Use my Tesla referral link for free charging credits: https://www.tesla.com/referral/jasna121868

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Beasty wrote: »
    And are people prepared to pay more for that "stuff"?

The world is too globalised to roll back the supply chains that have developed without significant additional cost (which could well outweigh the financial costs of the pandemic).

Then of course the poor in China get even poorer. The wet markets then possibly harbour more of this kind of thing. And like it or not, some will continue to seek products at minimal cost, ultimately much of it emanating from China.

We need to work through solutions that look to keep changes in the way the world operates to a minimum, certainly in the short term. Any major changes are likely to result in unexpected consequences. It's taken decades to build the global economy, and would probably take longer to dismantle it.

The globalist outlook is essentially the root cause of all this. And a million other problems festering in the background

When the people making money off cheap/slave labour suddenly find that it actually COSTS them money to operate in such an environment...things change.

Besides that, the overall economic shift to China is to other countrys detriment in the long run.

Would you pay an extra 20 quid for something made in France now, and have a normal life back?

Or save 20 quid and live in a prison?

Scale that up across the entire economic spectrum and it becomes much easier to change than you may think. It just doesn't add up, quite literally, anymore.

A new low, is it?

Would you pass though two airports, take a two hour flight in a tube full of strangers and then hug an 80 year old close relative who's just evaded cancer and had several lengthy operations?

Would you?

Or would you try and minimise the risk and just fly to the funeral but keep your distance and keep two meters away at all times, denying them their hug?

Would you do that?

That 80 year old close relative is my father, the person being buried was my mother and I didn't go to her funeral.

Hmm?

Feck off ..will ya..

Oh and I don't want any sympathy, I'm sure there are plenty people here who had to make similar decisions and are equally insulted by your judgment.

Do you have brother and sisters, you lost your mother and you had no contact with any of your family. Each to their own I suppose, if you lived 5km down the road would you have gone to the funeral. No I wouldn't hug an elderly relative, the original poster mentioned siblings not elderly relatives.

A new low, is it?

Would you?

Would you do that?

Hmm?

Feck off ..will ya..

That is a decision you made. I think other people may have made a different decision depending on their own circumstances.
    If I were in your position I would have done the same thing unless my dad so desperately wanted a hug more than he wanted to avoid Covid.

In moments between us we can forget about the "what if I contract Covid" or "what if I give this person Covid" and lean in to our natural way of being. The virus becomes less if even just for a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

eigrod wrote: »
    Have you the bit in bold the wrong way around?
    Yes. Error in hospitalised cases. Should have read 1893 - increase from 1846.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Only a small increase with those in hospital with Covid compared to last Saturday. 1893 v 1872

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement