Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXI-187,554 ROI (2,970 deaths) 100,319 NI (1,730 deaths)(24/01)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Drumpot wrote: »
    Ah sorry, it’s that it hasn’t been approved for use in EU yet, I was getting it mixed up. Do you know why the EU has delayed approvement?

I don't think EU delayed approvement. Astra Zeneca delayed submitting documents for approval. Maybe to supply them first to UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Drumpot wrote: »
    Ah sorry, it’s that it hasn’t been approved for use in EU yet, I was getting it mixed up. Do you know why the EU has delayed approvement?

EU don't approve. AZ were late with their application to the EMA. EMA are independent for a reason.

There is also a whole side story here as to how sloshed the original AZ trial data was. Which is why Pfizer and Moderna have been approved quicker everywhere.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    None of those charts are active cases. I can't see where Israel 2 days ago reported only 615 new cases. Have you a link? I'm not saying you're wrong, just trying to wrap my head around the differences in charts.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/israel/

For 22nd it was exactly 6,159 per million, so 616 per 100000

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

JoChervil wrote: »
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/israel/

For 22nd it was exactly 6,159 per million, so 616 per 100000

I thought you meant new cases (not per 100k)
    My point is there's 3 tables showing decreases in cases in Israel over 7 days:
    30% / 20% / 15%
    That's what I cant wrap my brain around. Either 7 day new cases absolute/per 100k / per mil etc.... they should all show the same %
    The FT one going around twitter shows a 30% drop in 2 days and people are assuming it's correct and it's down to the vaccine rollout.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    I thought you meant new cases (not per 100k)
    My point is there's 3 tables showing decreases in cases in Israel over 7 days:
    30% / 20% / 15%
    That's what I cant wrap my brain around. Either 7 day new cases absolute/per 100k / per mil etc.... they should all show the same %
    The FT one going around twitter shows a 30% drop in 2 days and people are assuming it's correct and it's down to the vaccine rollout.

Oops my fault. It was me who confused numbers, sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

well what do you mean by responsible business

you have businesses that may not be responsible

its an oxymoran

check out what happened in bellmullet

What happened in belmullet ?

The lockdown restrictions is not great or ideal but its what you make of it. The weather is OK, cold but dry for the most part. It's great to see so many people and families out walking. I remember the day I finished a long week in work just to rush to a pub on Friday night, suffer with a hangover Saturday, then come Sunday the weekend is almost gone and the Sunday evening fear sets in. The weekend is now more relaxed and I have more energy come Monday morning.

I would get the train to Galway on a Saturday just to have a wander around or I'd stay put and go to my local farmers market. Saturday night we'd go for a few drinks and something to eat. On Sunday I might visit my friend and her kids. Maybe we would all go to the cinema that evening.

It feels like the endless possibilities in my life have stopped. There is no choice to do anything but go for a walk or stay at home. That's very bleak.

We all have such different experiences of this pandemic and a lot is dependent on how much has changed for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

The EU hasn't ordered any Oxford vaccine ?? There's an order for 400 million in
    https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_20_1438

I admire your patience, it is like the online equivalent of Sunday drivers here today.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

How did a remote Mayo town become Ireland’s most Covid-infected place?
    How one of the most remote parts of Ireland became the most Covid-infected place in the entire country is unclear. Locally, people and healthcare professionals cite three probable infection drivers, all relating to people letting their guard down compared to how they reacted during the initial Covid surge in March and April 2020.

The first was the All-Ireland GAA football final on December 19th when, amid excitement and hopeful anticipation that 2020 might be Mayo’s year, people gathered in each other’s homes, in food-serving bars and hotels to watch the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭BredonWimsey

ek motor wrote: »
    What happened in belmullet ?

they are riddled with it - highest rate in the country. there was an article on it giving some causes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,357 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Has there been any word on the J&J vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Idiot boy

marno21 wrote: »
    Any chatter today about when construction may reopen?
    Did it ever really stop...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Idiot boy wrote: »
    As far as I can tell most construction companies have just declared themselves essential. A relative of mine signed up for the PUP after the kitchen company he works at closed due to the restrictions, just as they had during the first wave last March/April. Then on Thursday of their first week closed he got a text from his boss saying to go back to work the following Monday as no other kitchen companies were closed, and the building sites they served were still working.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Eivor wrote: »
    How did you see them?

They're stupid enough to post it on Instagram

• Registered Users Posts: 18,450 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Idiot boy wrote: »

Bunch of lads in knocking down walls in a small retail unit across the street from us yesterday, all day on top of each other going in and out of the place. Unless this ex architects office is being turned into a pop-up ICU I don't think they were doing anything essential, but I suspect they didn't care. Neither did I to be honest, apart from the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

As far as I can tell most construction companies have just declared themselves essential. A relative of mine signed up for the PUP after the kitchen company he works at closed due to the restrictions, just as they had during the first wave last March/April. Then on Thursday of their first week closed he got a text from his boss saying to go back to work the following Monday as no other kitchen companies were closed, and the building sites they served were still working.

Not a kitchen company but same thing happen to me, boss rang asking us all back to work saying all our customers are open so we will.
    if one opens all will follow, we are very little to do with construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

One thing I can't understand. In WW2 governments raided patent offices and took over factories to crank out thousands of tanks and jeeps and missiles and whatever they needed for their war efforts.

In 2021, why are the covid vaccines still in the hands of private companies? We are now seeing supply delays, why are more powerful countries like the US etc not building factories and massively ramping up production of what are now known products?

Is Covid not important enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Scum! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

One thing I can't understand. In WW2 governments raided patent offices and took over factories to crank out thousands of tanks and jeeps and missiles and whatever they needed for their war efforts.

In 2021, why are the covid vaccines still in the hands of private companies? We are now seeing supply delays, why are more powerful countries like the US etc not building factories and massively ramping up production of what are now known products?

Is Covid not important enough?

I think in the USA that is called the Defense Production Act and I think Biden has started using it for production of PPE, I'm just not sure there are facilities capable of producing the new vaccines that are doing something else at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Theres also this text scam doing the rounds. Someone else may have already mentioned it
    I’ve just received a warning about a scam text doing the rounds, purportedly from HSE. It asks people to confirm availability for vaccination and provide PPS number, date-of-birth and address.

Please do not respond to it. Inform any elderly or vulnerable person you know. They will be contacted by their GP about vaccination.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

There is now the suggestion that mink may be the intermediary host that has resulted in the current pandemic. China is the biggest exporter of finished fur products and interestingly, the sale of fur pellets dropped from by nearly 9 million in one province from one year to the next.

'
    A little known fact is that in 2019 Shandong produced 6.5 million mink pelts, down from nearly 15 million in 2018. This means nearly 9 million mink disappeared from one year to the next, a 55% drop in production for just one province.'

Shandong province, which is the hub of fur production in China, is a mid-mountainous region, and bats in nearby caves which are known Coronavirus carriers are attracted to the farm warehouses where the minks are kept. The bats defecate into the minks cages from the rafters.

There is also evidence to suggest that minks were also being sold at the Wuhan market (CNN and Canada's Public Health Agency).

Interesting article covering the matter:

[URL] https://reporterre.net/Mounting-evidence-suggests-mink-farms-in-China-could-be-the-cradle-of-Covid-19-22020[/URL]

DaSilva wrote: »
    I think in the USA that is called the Defense Production Act and I think Biden has started using it for production of PPE, I'm just not sure there are facilities capable of producing the new vaccines that are doing something else at the moment

But thats what I mean, if there are not facilities capable then throw billions at the problem until there are, they have done it before.

I am well aware some things are easier said than done but when I hear of powerful countries lobbying for a place in line to buy vaccines from private companies I just wonder when the tail started wagging the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

You'd want to be some lowlife to try that. Presume they're trying to get a list of people who live alone to burgle later. Scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭BredonWimsey

Eod100 wrote: »
    You'd want to be some lowlife to try that. Presume they're trying to get a list of people who live alone to burgle later. Scumbags

Evil

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

23 deaths.

1,378 new confirmed cases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

23 deaths.

1,378 new confirmed cases

Good news on cases

23 deaths is 23 too many obviously but at least not another huge number.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement