Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXI-187,554 ROI (2,970 deaths) 100,319 NI (1,730 deaths)(24/01)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

24-01-2021-p1.jpg
    24-01-2021-p2.jpg
    24-01-2021-p3.jpg
    24-01-2021-p4.jpg
    24-01-2021-p5.jpg
    24-01-2021-p6.jpg
    24-01-2021-p7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Of course we can't but we will be until March, at the earliest. It's fairly obvious now that Government don't intend on easing the restrictions until a sizeable proportion of the country is vaccinated.
    They will have to look at construction at the earliest opportunity. That and schools will be the first on the list. As for vaccinations keep an eye on the data from Israel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

It's all about opening up at the right time and what you open up.

It's not easy to get right as we saw at Christmas. I'd say Holohan and co are planning for St. Patrick's Day and festival. What do you do if you have 150 cases per day, the UK variant and others have to be taken into account. And the numbers vaccinated and what groups. A mild spell of 15/16c ensues we all meet for a few beers.

It's not easy planning, and it's a moveable target too!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Stheno wrote: »
    Case numbers were in the low hundreds before Christmas when we opened up

I would hope if case numbers drop that far, we're reopening non essential retail, gyms, hairdressers etc. I do think it's nearly pointless to reopen hospitality after what happened. Opening things up for 4-5 weeks and locking everything down again is just pointless. Might as well reopen 80% of stuff and be able to keep them open until the vaccinations take hold.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Lol at RTE News . Interviewing a funeral director while he slowly walked through a graveyard . Could they be anymore dramatic if they tried .

On Late Late Show a newly grieving widow with children was interviewed whose husband had died only 8 days earlier from Covid.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Any update on the situation regarding take away pints?

Arduach wrote: »
    It's all about opening up at the right time and what you open up.

It's not easy to get right as we saw at Christmas. I'd say Holohan and co are planning for St. Patrick's Day and festival. What do you do if you have 150 cases per day, the UK variant and others have to be taken into account. And the numbers vaccinated and what groups. A mild spell of 15/16c ensues we all meet for a few beers.

It's not easy planning, and it's a moveable target too!
    Pretty sure Paddy's Day is gone already.

is_that_so wrote: »

Ya, no chance we have one bar the day off work. Easter and May back holiday are the two that will be interesting.

A 'meaningful' Paddy's Day might be possible ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭BredonWimsey

On Late Late Show a newly grieving widow with children was interviewed whose husband had died only 8 days earlier from Covid.

how is this point related to the other point?:confused:

• Advertisement

titan18 wrote: »
    Ya, no chance we have one bar the day off work. Easter and May back holiday are the two that will be interesting.

Do you think level 5 til after 17 March is pretty much guaranteed?

i would say so - they are already planting the seeds in the media

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

mean gene wrote: »
    Any update on the situation regarding take away pints?

Nope. The prognosis is still the same for any fool who will pay 6 euro for a pint of overpriced slop that has been sitting in a barrel for 9 months, when you can get a fresh can of beer for a euro.

how is this point related to the other point?:confused:

RTÉ rubbing in the depressing aspects.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

For hospitality definitely, and possibly until after the May Bank holiday

RTÉ rubbing in the depressing aspects.

aww i see - yes indeed and thats vulgar actually - she is grieving the poor woman

Nope. The prognosis is still the same for any fool who will pay 6 euro for a pint of overpriced slop that has been sitting in a barrel for 9 months, when you can get a fresh can of beer for a euro.

haha:pac:

No, but I'd say hospitality being closed til after then is pretty much guaranteed.

I'd personally hope once we're sub 500 the non hospitality stuff that are closed will be allowed reopen so hairdressers, gyms, non essential retail etc.

I can't see hospitality reopening for a long while and when it does probably start as outdoor only.

titan18 wrote: »
    No, but I'd say hospitality being closed til after then is pretty much guaranteed.

I'd personally hope once we're sub 500 the non hospitality stuff that are closed will be allowed reopen so hairdressers, gyms, non essential retail etc.

I can't see hospitality reopening for a long while and when it does probably start as outdoor only.
    When we wrap up the over 65s will also influence things.

Maybe it might drown the virus :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

Probably a level 5 minus similar to October from middle of Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

One thing I can't understand. In WW2 governments raided patent offices and took over factories to crank out thousands of tanks and jeeps and missiles and whatever they needed for their war efforts.

In 2021, why are the covid vaccines still in the hands of private companies? We are now seeing supply delays, why are more powerful countries like the US etc not building factories and massively ramping up production of what are now known products?

Is Covid not important enough?

Pharmaceutical manufacturing is one of the most heavily regulated industries worldwide. For good reason.

Anything that gets injected directly into people needs to be manufactured in sterile conditions. So you need clean rooms and staff that are trained to work in this environment. The vaccine itself gets regulatory approval to be given to patients. The manufacturing sites themselves also need regulatory approval. There is only so much ramping up of production that can be done. Buying new equipment is a hugely time intensive process. It’s often made to order and installation can take months and months. Also important to remember that the likes of Pfizer make a lot of other products that people are depending on. So it’s not like they can convert all their factories to this one product.

Building new factories isn’t really feasible to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

Pure nonsense.

Compared to the previous Sundays it's way down.

17/01: 2944
    10/01: 6888
    03/01: 4962

Don't have to wait, you get a better idea by the 7-day average. 2125 today and Last week 3602.

Agreed, its very good news. No reason it won't continue to drop while in level 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

aww i see - yes indeed and thats vulgar actually - she is grieving the poor woman

I thought she was amazing actually. And she wanted to get the message through to people of how this can go. Nigel Pim her husband was only 50. I’m grateful people like Jenni are talking about it.

100 people’s deaths were announced this weekend. 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

Yes bar schools construction and shops if things go well. Everything else needs to stay shut if we dont want to go through this again. The opening of schools will arrest our progress when it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Maybe we will see Level 4 for the first time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

Jesus yeah the cheek of the woman coming on RTE telling us how serious this virus is just after she'd lost her husband.

Do some of you ever listen to yourselfs??

When we wrap up the over 65s will also influence things.

I'd say best case scenario we'll be on their group so some of them might have got first dose by mid to late March. Should hopefully have all healthcare workers and long term care residents over 65 done and I'd imagine a large amount of over 70 will have had the first dose. Some of group 6 will be done too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

Mike3549 wrote: »
    Maybe we will see Level 4 for the first time.
    this is level 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Latest Briefing Vs Confirmed Numbers

daily-report-24-01-2021.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement