Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXI-187,554 ROI (2,970 deaths) 100,319 NI (1,730 deaths)(24/01)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

oceanman wrote: »
    this is level 4

No, this is level 5.69
    Schools and constr are openin level 5

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

To be precise, there were 205 new cases on November 27th when the Government took the decision to ease restrictions. 725 new cases a month later on December 27th.

What was the positivity rate around then?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

titan18 wrote: »
    No, but I'd say hospitality being closed til after then is pretty much guaranteed.

I'd personally hope once we're sub 500 the non hospitality stuff that are closed will be allowed reopen so hairdressers, gyms, non essential retail etc.

I can't see hospitality reopening for a long while and when it does probably start as outdoor only.

What about inter county travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

oceanman wrote: »
    this is level 4

How the **** is it level 4, no schools, no construction, no non essential retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Gael23 wrote: »
    What about inter county travel?

I'd say no. Likely get the removal of 5k to county wide first (I'd imagine that would move when gyms and non essential retail open) and when outdoor dining opens you get the inter county travel loosened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭BredonWimsey

fits wrote: »
    I thought she was amazing actually. And she wanted to get the message through to people of how this can go. Nigel Pim her husband was only 50. I’m grateful people like Jenni are talking about it.

100 people’s deaths were announced this weekend. 100.

i'm not commenting on the poor lady- its a bit vulgar of RTE to be calling someone 2 days after their partner dies and asking them to go on TV. its vulture journalism. on the other hand if she called RTE thats another story.

i dont know the circumstances but surely someone is extreamly vulnerable after their partner has died - this was just a few days later- so were they really having her best interests at heart or were they just wanting to get the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

titan18 wrote: »
    I'd say best case scenario we'll be on their group so some of them might have got first dose by mid to late March. Should hopefully have all healthcare workers and long term care residents over 65 done and I'd imagine a large amount of over 70 will have had the first dose. Some of group 6 will be done too.
    Groups 1 & 2 should be done and dusted next month. I think they had hoped to start on Group 3 in February but early March is a better guess now as a kickoff. Over 70s are about 500,000 so that's about 4 weeks if we have supplies. Over 65s more like April or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭BredonWimsey

Jesus yeah the cheek of the woman coming on RTE telling us how serious this virus is just after she'd lost her husband.

Do some of you ever listen to yourselfs??

can you read. my comment was at RTE not the lady.

I cant speak for the other poster as to their intention - they merely commented on how depressing it is.

if you want to give out to people dont use the boards as your excuse to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

is_that_so wrote: »
    Groups 1 & 2 should be done and dusted next month. I think they hoped to start on Group 3 in February but early March is a better guess now as a kickoff. Over 70s are about 500,000 so that's about 4 weeks if we have supplies. Over 65s more like April or later.

I'd be hoping we have AZ and J&J with us by late March so a lot of progress will start getting made when we have decent supply of those coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Agreed, its very good news. No reason it won't continue to drop while in level 5.

Kent's cases continued to grow under restrictions very similar to level 5.

Pubs, restaurants and non essential retail shut. Schools open.
    It was well adhered to, but cases got out of control anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Groups 1 & 2 should be done and dusted next month. I think they hoped to start on Group 3 in February but early March is a better guess now as a kickoff. Over 70s are about 500,000 so that's about 4 weeks if we have supplies. Over 65s more like April or later.

Given the priority given to opening schools, I'm wondering might teachers jump the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Sickos..honestly just :(:( A different breed of humanity

i'm not commenting on the poor lady- its a bit vulgar of RTE to be calling someone 2 days after their partner dies and asking them to go on TV. its vulture journalism. on the other hand if she called RTE thats another story.

i dont know the circumstances but surely someone is extreamly vulnerable after their partner has died - this was just a few days later- so were they really having her best interests at heart or were they just wanting to get the story.

Exactly. RTÉ are exploiting people far too much, come years ahead it will not be a good look. If it actually does some good to individuals and gets the message across to people, maybe it's appropriate, but I have my reservations.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Given the priority given to opening schools, I'm wondering might teachers jump the queue.
    Very doubtful. THE HSE seem intent on following the vaccination groups rigidly. The only group who might be moved up are the 18-34s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

a
    iamwhoiam wrote: »

It is amazing that the government has not rolled out a health programme involving the population be encouraged to take Vitamin D. There are no downsides and many indications that having high levels of vitamin D will save you from the worst effects of covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

vienne86 wrote: »

There will be uproar if they do . So many vulnerable people waiting for it now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

The most frustrating part of this is they could have done it so much earlier and that government here with all their excuses will now bring it in..

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1353416446047621124

It is amazing that the government has not rolled out a health programme involving the population be encouraged to take Vitamin D. There are no downsides and many indections that having high levels of vitamin D will save you from the worst effects of covid.
    No proper clinical studies finished yet in relation to COVID is why the HSE/DoH don't but they do encourage Vitamin D for immune systems boosts.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

Kent's cases continued to grow under restrictions very similar to level 5.

Pubs, restaurants and non essential retail shut. Schools open.
    It was well adhered to, but cases got out of control anyways.

If schools are open that'd explain it. They had loads of cases here which were massaged and called community transmission

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    There will be uproar if they do . So many vulnerable people waiting for it now

Yeah, especially if schools only open at the end of February - between the Easter break and finishing up at the end of May, they’ll only be in the classroom for 2.5 months. Primary school - 3.5 months. By the time schools open again in September, every adult in Ireland will have gotten the vaccine, according to Stephen Donnelly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Qwertyminger

You've fallen victim to the 'curse of the newly registered' - they all end up on the receiving end of societal carry on that is beyond most people's normal experience.
    "Beyond most normal people's experience" sounds like you're accusing me of lying.

I don't see how my registration status has anything to do with the message my friend sent where i can hear a crowd? I can upload it for you and you can have a listen if you don't believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

There is I think a small chance of kidney damage from taking too much vitamin d, how much is 'too much' is something I don't know but I wonder if that could be a reason for being not saying much about it.

Along with the fact that the existing data 'suggests' that it could help avoid poor outcomes with covid, but nothing much to prove that it will. Diet is also important for vitamin d absorption.

fwiw I've been taking it since late 2019, my levels were checked at the time and were below normal. Once I completed that course the pandemic started, so I've been supplementing with a less high dose than I was on. Tbh I would like to get my levels checked again when things get safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

RTÉ rubbing in the depressing aspects.

Agreed. RTE have been a ghoulish disgrace since March. They have also dumbed down everything on their previously prestigious shows (e.g. LLS, Claire Byrne Live, Prime Time) to the point that they are unwatchable and just plain silly.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

No proper clinical studies finished yet in relation to COVID is why the HSE/DoH don't but they do encourage Vitamin D for immune systems boosts.

So many studies are saying there is a correlation between low vitamin D levels and more severe effects of covid on that cohort. These early studies also show a correlation between high vitamin D levels and much less severe symptoms and better outcomes. There are so many studies at this stage and so many doctors saying this that it is really time to act on it. There are no downsides to taking viaminD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Agreed. RTE have been a ghoulish disgrace since March. They have also dumbed down everything on their previously prestigious shows (e.g. LLS, Claire Byrne Live, Prime Time) to the point that they are unwatchable and just plain silly.

Agreed. Claire Byrne Live is like something you’d see on daytime TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Trouble is people who are generally in lower health tend to have lower vitamin D levels. Many use this to conclude that Vitamin is a contributory factor in this poor health. Others see it as an the underlying poor health contributing to the low vitamin D levels.

Correlation doesn't imply causation. Mass supplements of Vit D needs evidence just like any other treatment does.

It is also not helped by there being an almost fad like devotion to the alleged benefits of vitamin D with over a decade now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Are close contacts currently being tested or is it just symptomatic people at the moment? Cases are going in the right direction thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Claire Byrne Live was once a prestigious show?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Eod100 wrote: »
    The most frustrating part of this is they could have done it so much earlier and that government here with all their excuses will now bring it in..

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1353416446047621124

This is fantastic news.

It's tough not to think of all the lives and livelihoods that could have been saved over the past year if we had done this at the start.

But better late than never.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Very bad figures for a Sunday....cant read too much into them...will have to wait until Tuesday to get a better idea of how its going.

What?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement