Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXI-187,554 ROI (2,970 deaths) 100,319 NI (1,730 deaths)(24/01)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

County cases per day average over the last two weeks. In brackets is what it was last Sunday.

Dublin 902 (1695)
    Cork 310 (614)
    Galway 164 (202)
    Limerick 136 (265)
    Mayo 123 (156)
    Louth 116 (204)
    Wexford 113 (193)
    Kildare 111 (191)
    Meath 108 (171)
    Donegal 94 (158)
    Waterford 82 (171)
    Monaghan 73 (117)
    Tipperary 73 (109)
    Clare 56 (124)
    Wicklow 53 (81)
    Kerry 46 (110)
    Carlow 45 (68)
    Cavan 44 (78)
    Laois 41 (58)
    Offaly 39 (55)
    Kilkenny 33 (81)
    Roscommon 30 (43)
    Westmeath 29 (45)
    Sligo 20 (39)
    Longford 11 (21)
    Leitrim 6 (13)

Surely those figures give cause for a little positive news?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Does anyone else think joggers and runners should be asked to wear masks when running . ? We walk in parks within 5k and constantly have to step aside from puffing and blowing joggers . They pass us out and we have to wait and not step straight into their blown out breath

Some of them can be very annoying alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

So just becasue there are some idiots don't make a recommendation that would improve public health.

Ye exactly. We have to stop pandering to the lowest common demoniator in this country.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Does anyone else think joggers and runners should be asked to wear masks when running . ?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

No.

Do you think its ok that they blow out there breath while passing others ?
    If I was standing in a Supermarket queue puffing and panting my breath like that I am almost sure people would be annoyed

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Does anyone else think joggers and runners should be asked to wear masks when running . ? We walk in parks within 5k and constantly have to step aside from puffing and blowing joggers . They pass us out and we have to wait and not step straight into their blown out breath

Not only that, I think there should be a one way system for footpaths. Like if there's two footpaths on a road, there should be one going for one direction and other side for the other direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Do you think its ok that they blow out there breath while passing others ?

Only runners and joggers breathe is it?

I miss 2019.

mcburns07 wrote: »

I miss 2019.

I dont puff and pant into people space actually

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I miss 2019.

They're less likely to be wearing masks. So can possibly still spread it. I have seen people out walking with masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Wear a mask yourself in the park if you’re worried.
    It’s easy to walk with a mask, especially in this weather.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

At least joggers are generally by themselves so easy to avoid. The worst are people who think they're the only ones out for a walk and crowd the place or stop to chat so you end up very close to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You breathe don’t you?

Wear a mask yourself in the park if you’re worried.
    It’s easy to walk with a mask, especially in this weather.

I do now actually . Simply to avoid the joggers air in my face

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

titan18 wrote: »
    At least joggers are generally by themselves so easy to avoid. The worst are people who think they're the only ones out for a walk and crowd the place or stop to chat so you end up very close to them.

Or the people having a chat across a path instead of along it... so you have to walk between them.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Definitely , and the ones who walk three in row so everyone else has to walk in the mud

I do now actually . Simply to avoid the joggers air in my face

I’m in Spain And everybody has to wear a mask in public.......unless your jogging or cycling.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭brickster69

No idea how this Brazil mutation started

https://twitter.com/DrEliDavid/status/1353159294879981568

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

If cases are around the same level as October when we did 6 weeks lockdown. Shouldn't we be looking at most, 6 weeks from now before lifting some restrictions? Obviously a bit slower this time.

I’m in Spain And everybody has to wear a mask in public.......unless your jogging or cycling.

Why not the joggers or cyclists ? I don’t get that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

No idea how this Brazil mutation started

https://twitter.com/DrEliDavid/status/1353159294879981568

1014 deaths per 1m. Sure he's just being a smart ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Presumably it's deeply unpleasant trying to breathe through a mask when you are working out? Try jogging with a mask on and let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The time for doom is over, we have done really well at crushing this surge, we should have a positive outlook and constructive discussions on how to maintain low spread once we get figures down into the 100s, likely by mid-Feb.

The hysteria around travel is mis-placed, the surge may have been aided by the new variant (that is very much open to debate though, it seems widely accepted now which is a bit scary as there is no hard evidence).

The simple truth is there was a huge amount of socializing from early December, this was when cases were still around 300 per day with community transmission..

We did this to ourselves, 'd bleedin foreigners' didn't do this or cause this.

It is great to have a scapegoat to kick and blame though, it can deflect from the truth that lots of us let our guards down over December and it cost us.

Presumably it's deeply unpleasant trying to breathe through a mask when you are working out? Try jogging with a mask on and let us know how you get on.

Ah ! So they do breathe heavier ! My point entirely

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ah ! So they do breathe heavier ! My point entirely

Possibly sweating so they're damp makes them less effective that they become pointless

I suppose it’s just not easy to run with a mask on.
    I’m no expert but I don’t think there has been many cases linked with people Briefly passing each other outside.

Whatever happened to ‘viral load’ and the 15 minutes Rule for close contact. Cases in Ireland and elsewhere went haywire over Christmas because people spent long periods in confined conditions Together not because they walked by a jogger.

Possibly sweating so they're damp makes them less effective that they become pointless

I know that choirs were a big spreading risk ad they were blowing out under pressure when singing . I would presume any exercise including jogging would have a similar risk ?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭New2Dubs

When I’m running I go out of my way to avoid others for this very reason, I would hate for someone to think I was puffing near them. I’ll run on road if needs be. I don’t think you can generalise that runners are the worst offenders. I give up on groups walking 3 or 4 abreast - the 2 metre rule has gone out the window for some.

I suppose it’s just not easy to run with a mask on.
    I’m no expert but I don’t think there has been many cases linked with people Briefly passing each other outside.

Whatever happened to ‘viral load’ and the 15 minutes Rule for close contact. Cases in Ireland and elsewhere went haywire over Christmas because people spent long periods in confined conditions Together not because they walked by a jogger.

Yeh fair enough , it is probably a low risk all right . But being honest I avoid stepping into their jet stream if I can !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I know that choirs were a big spreading risk ad they were blowing out under pressure when singing . I would presume any exercise including jogging would have a similar risk ?

Choirs don't generally move do they? And would assume they're mostly indoors?
    How many people are in a choir ? How long are they singing together

Joggers jogging on their own is very very low risk.

The 2 aren't comparable at all imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The time for doom is over, we have done really well at crushing this surge, we should have a positive outlook and constructive discussions on how to maintain low spread once we get figures down into the 100s, likely by mid-Feb.

The hysteria around travel is mis-placed, the surge may have been aided by the new variant (that is very much open to debate though, it seems widely accepted now which is a bit scary as there is no hard evidence).

The simple truth is there was a huge amount of socializing from early December, this was when cases were still around 300 per day with community transmission..

We did this to ourselves, 'd bleedin foreigners' didn't do this or cause this.

It is great to have a scapegoat to kick and blame though, it can deflect from the truth that lots of us let our guards down over December and it cost us.

There was nothing said about foreigners. The people returning to Ireland are mainly Irish people abroad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement