Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXI-187,554 ROI (2,970 deaths) 100,319 NI (1,730 deaths)(24/01)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

You need to quote the essential bits and post them here. Not signing up just to read an article.

Edit: I actually tried, I AM interested, but they want google account, email and now they want my phone number to send me the link to the article. Sorry, but no.

Would also be nice if people could send links and info without these childish side digs like 'taking head out of sand'.

What are you talking about? I have just read the article in full without needing to sign up to the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Symptomatic close contacts will get tested anyway, so it’s an even smaller effect than your estimate.

Yes, sorry you're totally correct on that, I completely forgot about that.
    Assuming 25% are asymptomatic, those close contact figures would be 1/4, so even less.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

re NYtimes article, if you delete all your cookies you can read their articles. Best to do it in a browser you don't use much cause you'll be deleting google cookies too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

What are you talking about? I have just read the article in full without needing to sign up to the site.

Weirdly enough it now worked for me too.

Having read the article however I am struggling to find the evidence bit.

The closets I got to it was at the end where they say that evidence (they call it surety) can only be gained over a long period but they managed to string together other evidence. Only they fail to mention what that other evidence actually is. I did kinda cross read it though, maybe it escaped me.

Weirdly enough it now worked for me too.

Having read the article however I am struggling to find the evidence bit.

The closets I got to it was at the end where they say that evidence (they call it surety) can only be gained over a long period but they managed to string together other evidence. Only they fail to mention what that other evidence actually is.

Seems to be more an article on how they found it rather than how it's more infectious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Seems to be more an article on how they found it rather than how it's more infectious.

Seems that way to me too.

Maybe the 'take your head out of the sand' poster can point us to the evidence part? Probably gone to bed which is what I'll do now. G'night everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

Cerveza wrote: »
    Numbers are nearly there to get schools back. Norma needs to buck up this week and make it happening.

Numbers are weeks away from schools reopening I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭josip

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Does anyone else think joggers and runners should be asked to wear masks when running . ? We walk in parks within 5k and constantly have to step aside from puffing and blowing joggers . They pass us out and we have to wait and not step straight into their blown out breath

If you're worried about joggers or groups of people, just fake a bout of coughing before they pass and they'll give you a wide berth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

You need to quote the essential bits and post them here. Not signing up just to read an article.

Edit: I actually tried, I AM interested, but they want google account, email and now they want my phone number to send me the link to the article. Sorry, but no.

Would also be nice if people could send links and info without these childish side digs like 'taking head out of sand'.
    I scanned the article that was linked and don't think it addressed how much more transmissible the UK variant (B.1.1.7) is. But there's another article at NYT which says:
    B.1.1.7 is estimated to be roughly 50 percent more transmissible than other variants. Federal health officials warn that it may become the dominant variant in the United States by March. It is no more deadly than other forms of the coronavirus. But because it can cause so many more infections, it may lead to many more deaths.
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/health/coronavirus-mutations-B117-variant.html

leck wrote: »
    I scanned the article that was linked and don't think it addressed how much more transmissible the UK variant (B.1.1.7) is. But there's another article at NYT which says:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/health/coronavirus-mutations-B117-variant.html
    B.1.1.7 is estimated to be roughly 50 percent more transmissible than other variants. Federal health officials warn that it may become the dominant variant in the United States by March. It is no more deadly than other forms of the coronavirus. But because it can cause so many more infections, it may lead to many more deaths.
    Yes, that's so definitive, lots of may's and if's.... They are saying it's not more deadly, but the UK is saying it is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Or could it be that with Christmas more people arrived in Ireland from the UK who were positive than the number of positive people in Ireland?
    If 100 in Ireland are infected and 200 positive people from the UK arrive. Right then the UK variant is 66.66% without any additional transmission.

Not necessarily.It would depend on the percentage of the 200 arrivals that had the UK variant.

Not necessarily.It would depend on the percentage of the 200 arrivals that had the UK variant.

Assuming it was as rampant as the UK say, I was using a 100% figure. But any % higher than the native strain would make it the dominant strain.

You could also argue with such a massive influx of people who have been away for a prolonged period, they may have more close contacts than a native person, thus pushing up the infection rate of the strain and making it appear more infectious.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,994 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

When ever you see vaccinating on tv in US its always young rich white people in big pickups, wtf

When ever you see vaccinating on tv in US its always young rich white people in big pickups, wtf

I'm curious as to how the US will vaccinate illegal immigrants?
    There has to be a way to record vaccinations, but they may be reluctant to come forward for fear of deportation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

No idea how this Brazil mutation started

https://twitter.com/DrEliDavid/status/1353159294879981568

Longer video from Brazil here:

Doesn't seem like they are scared by the looks of it. Deaths per million are roughly the same as the EU though there might be a bit of underreporting. Probably a fair amount of immunity among the younger population.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Doesn't seem like they are scared by the looks of it. Deaths per million are roughly the same as the EU though there might be a bit of underreporting. Probably a fair amount of immunity among the younger population.

Looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

This may have been asked earlier so apologies if it has...
    Why are they looking at only 5 days quarantine for travellers without a PCR test,when it’s 14 days elsewhere -and people here without symptoms but possibly close contacts have to isolate for 14 days....would the 5 days not be just a monumental waste of time and money (if they actually want to catch people who may be “brewing “ the virus)???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Account by FT journalist of his experience with covid. Worth reading.

https://www.ft.com/content/2b0dbba3-6fe8-4c2d-8cca-90e87261d436

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

stone de crows that video is unreal.
    I feel like an alien watching a different species...

fits wrote: »

Something of the narrative doesn't ring true, though I imagine he really couldn't recollect or reassemble as much as he thinks he might have done. The fact that he was put on a ventilator awake and was able to make a phone call with tubes down into his respiratory tract (ahead of being put under anaesthetic/deep sedation) doesn't ring true. Even if he had a tracheostomy the voice is so seriously compromised that conversation isn't possible. I know, I've spent 10 weeks by somebody's side on a trachy on ventilator and all communication was by pencil & paper as voice is bypassed. I'm being a bit pedantic here, though, he must have been on a NIV mask, and went in through the full hog on the ventilator. But I'd caution against taking the full account as a completely accurate narrative. Sobering nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

fits wrote: »

Well that's terrifying. I think it gets lost when people focus on death rates that even if you get it and survive it's a horrible illness.

I have heard a lot of people say oh it's only old people who die and forgetting that it can be really awful if you get it.

niallo27 wrote: »
    How the **** is it level 4, no schools, no construction, no non essential retail.

As a side note ive noticed every other post of yours includes a curse or some form of anger. You really should learn to just respond to people without the passive aggressive nature. Life will be a lot better in the long run:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Well that's terrifying. I think it gets lost when people focus on death rates that even if you get it and survive it's a horrible illness.

I have heard a lot of people say oh it's only old people who die and forgetting that it can be really awful if you get it.

Quality of life after Covid seems to affect quite a high proportion. People are beginning to realise this . Deniers about Covid now looking very foolish. In the net year or so your going to hear alot more about the aftereffects of the virus.

Men are 44% more likely to get seriously ill and die, irrespective of other risks, according to Dr Ronx in a BBC documentary. It's missed out altogether in the general narrative that men are substantially more at risk than women.

No idea how this Brazil mutation started

https://twitter.com/DrEliDavid/status/1353159294879981568

That is frankly bonkers. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Please feed the birds today.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

You really wonder how it's possible for their death rate to be even close to the EU one. I guess a mix of under-reporting and being summer over there at the moment, but damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

wadacrack wrote: »
    Quality of life after Covid seems to affect quite a high proportion. People are beginning to realise this . Deniers about Covid now looking very foolish. In the net year or so your going to hear alot more about the aftereffects of the virus.

Define high proportion?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

muddypuppy wrote: »
    You really wonder how it's possible for their death rate to be even close to the EU one. I guess a mix of under-reporting and being summer of there at the moment, but damn.

I have never been but at a guess less obesity and a younger population would help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Define high proportion?

Define affect?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement