Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXI-187,554 ROI (2,970 deaths) 100,319 NI (1,730 deaths)(24/01)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

I have never been but at a guess less obesity and a younger population would help.

It's a good guess as any, but the difference between brazil and ireland (for example) is not that massive - ~25% people here are obese compared to ~22% there, and ~75% of the population here is below 54 years while there is ~81%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Longer video from Brazil here:

Doesn't seem like they are scared by the looks of it. Deaths per million are roughly the same as the EU though there might be a bit of underreporting. Probably a fair amount of immunity among the younger population.

Vibrant place, I was there shortly before this all started. Unfortunately people in Brazil are pretty much apathetic towards Covid and any health measure put in place are non enforceable due to the mass lack of compliance. The police are simply overrun. There is a lot to be said for strong controls on travel ASAP from Brazil to get ahead of this new varient.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Qwertyminger

Looks like a hole full of children who should be playing but instead are segregated by gender and trying to get laid. Scary what a rubbish education system can do to a population.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Eamon Ryan spoofing away on radio. Sounds like they'll do the usual half arsed measures about travel until forced into doing it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Qwertyminger

Like everyone he has a mother.

• Advertisement

wadacrack wrote: »
    Quality of life after Covid seems to affect quite a high proportion. People are beginning to realise this . Deniers about Covid now looking very foolish. In the net year or so your going to hear alot more about the aftereffects of the virus.

At this stage 16 people in my immediate family have had Covid19.
    All have completely recovered, with no long Covid and no lasting issues. These people include my pregnant daughter, her 17 month old baby, two parents-in-law who are in their sixties and obese ,my 52 year old sister.......
    It also includes my brother who is 61 and his wife who works in Mullingar hospital and their 3 daughters. My brother and his wife were sicker for 3 days with bad headaches and aches.... but then recovered and are back at work now. The rest are younger in their twenties. So I guess you could say a very good cross section of people. ALL are perfectly well now and all said it was no worse than a heavy cold or the regular flu.

I haven't known anyone yet who has got Covid badly. Maybe I am just lucky. But while you will read some very bad stories about people who are in hospital and on ventilation, the vast vast majority of people get over this at home and recover very quickly with no lasting effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

All have completely recovered, with no long Covid and no lasting issues. These people include my pregnant daughter, her 17 month old baby, two parents-in-law who are in their sixties and obese ,my 52 year old sister.......
    It also includes my brother who is 61 and his wife who works in Mullingar hospital and their 3 daughters. My brother and his wife were sicker for 3 days with bad headaches and aches.... but then recovered and are back at work now. The rest are younger in their twenties. So I guess you could say a very good cross section of people. ALL are perfectly well now and all said it was no worse than a heavy cold or the regular flu.

I haven't known anyone yet who has got Covid badly. Maybe I am just lucky. But while you will read some very bad stories about people who are in hospital and on ventilation, the vast vast majority of people get over this at home and recover very quickly with no lasting effects.

Majority seem to but even amongst the very healthy and fit like soccer players, majority have, but there have a minority like Lascelles and Allan Saint Maximim at Newcastle who have been out for a while. Saint-Maximim has missed nearly 2 months with it.

I know of people myself who've lost a lot of weight when they got it and knocked them out for a good month or so from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

lawred2 wrote: »
    Define affect?

I have no doubt that some people suffer with post viral syndrome after having Covid.... but like everything with this pandemic, the data just isn't there to define the % of people who do, how long for, severity of symptoms etc.

I'd be very surprised if "long covid" impacted more than a tiny % of people. No doubt i'll be dismissed as a covid denier for that statement.

I don't know many who have had Covid but none of those I know have had any lingering issues once it cleared up after a couple of weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

Glad to hear they all recovered but yes you and they are very very lucky. I know of several people who have died and one 41 year old who's life has been utterly ruined in terms of health outcomes after catching covid in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

wadacrack wrote: »
    Quality of life after Covid seems to affect quite a high proportion. People are beginning to realise this . Deniers about Covid now looking very foolish. In the net year or so your going to hear alot more about the aftereffects of the virus.

With nearly 200k cases already and our love affair with doom and misery here, these long covid stories should be all over the media but they are far and few between. Why is that. Nobody is denying covid but the narrative of that if it doesn't kill you then long covid will get you is being overblown on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

mcburns07 wrote: »
    I have no doubt that some people suffer with post viral syndrome after having Covid.... but like everything with this pandemic, the data just isn't there to define the % of people who do, how long for, severity of symptoms etc.

I'd be very surprised if "long covid" impacted more than a tiny % of people. No doubt i'll be dismissed as a covid denier for that statement.

I don't know many who have had Covid but none of those I know have had any lingering issues once it cleared up after a couple of weeks.

I doubt anyone would deny that the vast majority of people who get it will have relatively mild, few or no symptoms, that's pretty much a given at this stage. That said, in my own extended circle of acquaintances, I know one fit & healthy girl in her 20s who was hospitalised, and her mother only had a bit of a headache with it. My friends 17 year old son got it and it was a bad headache and very bad sore throat. Actually now that I think about it, of the maybe 15 people I know who got it, none of them had no symptoms at all. It so bloody random.

The problem as I see it is the significant minority of people that will need hospitalisation. Even if that minority only ran at about 5%, its an awful lot of people looking for a very limited resource in this country. If we opened everything up I don't think there's much doubt the health system would collapse in short order.
    Plus the fact that its so contagious, along with pre or asymptomatic spread, would potentially lead to all sorts of workplaces having to shut.

Not sure if all arrivals here means arrivals from Northern Ireland and Ireland. Interesting to see if it affects policy here.

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1353657496716660737

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Russman wrote: »
    I doubt anyone would deny that the vast majority of people who get it will have relatively mild, few or no symptoms, that's pretty much a given at this stage. That said, in my own extended circle of acquaintances, I know one fit & healthy girl in her 20s who was hospitalised, and her mother only had a bit of a headache with it. My friends 17 year old son got it and it was a bad headache and very bad sore throat. Actually now that I think about it, of the maybe 15 people I know who got it, none of them had no symptoms at all. It so bloody random.

The problem as I see it is the significant minority of people that will need hospitalisation. Even if that minority only ran at about 5%, its an awful lot of people looking for a very limited resource in this country. If we opened everything up I don't think there's much doubt the health system would collapse in short order.
    Plus the fact that its so contagious, along with pre or asymptomatic spread, would potentially lead to all sorts of workplaces having to shut.

Completely agree that we'd have huge issues if we "let it rip". My concern is the amount of disinformation. Some people have been convinced / convinced themselves that if you don't end up in hospital or god forbid die from it, that your chances of having long term health problems are high. It's simply untrue and it does nobody any good to have unfounded concerns like this playing on people's minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Completely agree that we'd have huge issues if we "let it rip". My concern is the amount of disinformation. Some people have been convinced / convinced themselves that if you don't end up in hospital or god forbid die from it, that your chances of having long term health problems are high. It's simply untrue and it does nobody any good to have unfounded concerns like this playing on people's minds.

yeah - if it doesn't get you one way it'll get you another way

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

Russman wrote: »

And that was the goal (and still is, I think) all along - flatten the curve so that hospitals don't get overwhelmed. It does get forgotten from time to time.

You don't have to guess the % of hospitalization, the HSE publish this data every two weeks.
    https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/covid-1914-dayepidemiologyreports/COVID-19_14_day_epidemiology_report_20210124_Website.pdf
    You can see the average % of hospitalization/ICU of the whole country on the first page, and an age breakdown on page 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

The thing for me as well is that, whilst the 5% or so that are hospitalised are the minority there is likely a larger percentage who were sick and on the edge of hospitalisation during their sickness. That, to me, is awful.

Also, those with mild cases can still get long Covid, I know someone (I believe in their 30s) who had it mildly for 3 days in Feb and has suffered ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Probes wrote: »
    The thing for me as well is that, whilst the 5% or so that are hospitalised are the minority there is likely a larger percentage who were sick and on the edge of hospitalisation during their sickness. That, to me, is awful.

Also, those with mild cases can still get long Covid, I know someone (I believe in their 30s) who had it mildly for 3 days in Feb and has suffered ever since.

How do you know that was Covid in February? I had a virus back in 2018 or so and had post viral symptoms for about 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Good progress on hospital admissions over the weekend. Down to their lowest level since 4th January. Means we should see a good solid dent made in the hospital numbers this week. Could be down as low as 1,600 by next weekend.

And lower hospital admissions means fewer ICU admissions. Which means the pressure on ICU should begin to ease off imminently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

seamus wrote: »
    Good progress on hospital admissions over the weekend. Down to their lowest level since 4th January. Means we should see a good solid dent made in the hospital numbers this week. Could be down as low as 1,600 by next weekend.

And lower hospital admissions means fewer ICU admissions. Which means the pressure on ICU should begin to ease off imminently.

Looks like Level 5 is working but meanwhile the political storm is focusing elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Looks like Level 5 is working but meanwhile the political storm is focusing elsewhere.

If anything can be down to increase decrease of cases or prevent further importation of cases or variants then it should be done. Every extra barrier helps if we want to have a sustainable exit from restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

GP referrals were up on Friday. Looking back at previous weeks that is unusual. See https://tomorrowscare.ie/covid/

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

https://mobile.twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1353654440113414144

Fining one man at a beach by himself, absolutely daft

ek motor wrote: »

I don't like the 5k limit but think they need to explain the public health rationale better, I guess it's about controlling movement of people in general, making sure people don't travel from high risk areas to low risk areas, or areas with higher elderly population where they may be only small number of shops/petrol station etc. And dunno is it an urban myth but maybe to decrease risk of car crashes while hospitals and ICUs are under such pressure.

All that said bit rich for government to say that quarantine is disproportionate but restriction of 5k on exercise isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

He wasn't fined for being on a beach by himself - it clearly states that the Gardai let him off and he agreed to go home.... then went to a second beach where he was fined.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

They gave him a warning to go home and he said he would. Then he did not as he just went to another beach.

Seems fine to me to fine him

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I think it was more the case that he told the Gard in question that he would go home after travelling 20km to get there, and then was found nearby...not following the instruction of the Gardai is enough justification?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

seamus wrote: »

It takes ages for ICU numbers to go down. An acquaintance was in ICU last April/May so I was watching the ICU numbers closely back then. So yes it should begin to ease soon but it will take a good bit longer to reduce than the case numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

How do you know that was Covid in February? I had a virus back in 2018 or so and had post viral symptoms for about 6 months.

Because it's more trendy to call it "long Covid".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

One rule for some? Is that what you want?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement