Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXI-187,554 ROI (2,970 deaths) 100,319 NI (1,730 deaths)(24/01)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

mohawk wrote: »
    I am inclined to agree with you. I know of many who were not obeying the household restrictions in November but are now. As the numbers got really big really fast a huge amount of people just cut out whatever visiting they were doing previously. I am not convinced that it’s a genuine drop though.

I think the drastic rise cases shocked many. I certainly never expected cases to go as high they did after Christmas. I expected a significant rise but definitely not what we saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

froog wrote: »
    The problem with the health service has always been too many unnecessary people in management that are untouchable because of unions. That's your money sink right there. Investment is definitely needed but its a mexican stand off with the government who are reluctant to throw money at them unless the bloat is sorted.

Need admin staff to cover this :

" The State is facing a liability of almost €2.8 billion to fund future personal injury and property claims against the Health Service Executive.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/state-faces-2-8bn-in-hse-legal-claims-1.3921203

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Has information been published on the growth or decline of the English variant. Our overall numbers are declining nicely (imo), but
    is the English variant still growing or is that too in decline?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Eod100 wrote: »

Very happy to see this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭BredonWimsey

Two Doctors have held the portfolio of MOH both of whom were useless in the role.

i dont necessarily think a doctor has the necessary experience to head up the position of MOH - u need someone who is an expert in writing, implementing or adopting health policy and strategy whether it is as the head of a hospital or someone who has been trained to do such whether it is in education or grassroots or prior consulting roles. these ministers dont have a particular expertise in areas that require it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Eamon ryan has fought tooth and nail not to restrict travellers. He only reluctantly brought in a a negative pcr test requirement pre travel from some countries after massive pressure from nephet and the opposition. He also completely rejected the Nephets plea that travellers be tested 5 days after arrival as well.

He was also been behind the ridiculous travel forms that nobody follows up on.

More smoke and mirrors today from him that south Africans without a pcr test will be quarantined. As if that shouldnt have been an obvious corollary once the initial ban was brought in from those countries.

90 percent in a recent poll are now asking fo real quarantine, as are the opposition and Nephet.

I dont say this lightly, him and whoever else that have been slyly and deliberately thwarting attempts to restrict travel have blood on his hands.

I think part of the issue regarding travel controls is that our 2 traditionally biggest parties are uncomfortable with anything more than the minimum of border control. They do see advantages to it, but reckon nothing is worth the accusations of being called xenophobic or racist. A lot of these politicians are also gunning for EU/UN/International roles in future, where being in favour of lots of immigration is a bare minimum requirement for your CV. So even those with logical reasons for border control have to be seen to do the opposite.

But every other party in the Dáil are ideologically in favour of open borders and almost any form of control is anathema to them.

As a result the center of gravity on border control leans heavily towards doing as little as possible and we get the deliberately useless measures we've seen so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

I think part of the issue regarding travel controls is that our 2 traditionally biggest parties are uncomfortable with anything more than the minimum of border control. They do see advantages to it, but reckon nothing is worth the accusations of being called xenophobic or racist. A lot of these politicians are also gunning for EU/UN/International roles in future, where being in favour of lots of immigration is a bare minimum requirement for your CV. So even those with logical reasons for border control have to be seen to do the opposite.

But every other party in the Dáil are ideologically in favour of open borders and almost any form of control is anathema to them.

As a result the center of gravity on border control leans heavily towards doing as little as possible and we get the deliberately useless measures we've seen so far.

Interesting point of view. We are very eager to have a go at the DUP for not having stricter travel restrictions between GB and NI, but your theory about the Dail parties and TDs putting political considerations above health concerns may have a ring of truth to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Eod100 wrote: »

If you read the full story its less positive. The SA variant caused a six fold decrease in (i think) antibodies but Moderna still think its vaccine should be effective against it - but it could reduce duration of effectiveness. Not all good news I'm afraid (to my very unscientific way of reading it)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

The problem with the health service has always been too many unnecessary people in management that are untouchable because of unions. That's your money sink right there. Investment is definitely needed but its a mexican stand off with the government who are reluctant to throw money at them unless the bloat is sorted.

This ain't true, for a number of reasons. If these managers are not doing their job then the union's can't protect them, on the flip side you don't sack people for no reason. Given the age profile of management in the HSE anyway there is no need to fire people to reduce the management numbers, you just don't hire replacements once people retire.

Financial investment is not required, not even a little. We have a well funded public health system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Am i correct in thinking that once someone has the vaccine, after the immunity has taken hold, (2 weeks?), they can still get Covid but have very mild to no symptoms?
    in this case they can also still pass on covid to someone who hasn't been vaccinated? (albeit it at a much less transmissible rate, but still possible.)
    are people being told this when they get the vaccine?

or am i totally wrong here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

This ain't true, for a number of reasons. If these managers are not doing their job then the union's can't protect them, on the flip side you don't sack people for no reason. Given the age profile of management in the HSE anyway there is no need to fire people to reduce the management numbers, you just don't hire replacements once people retire.

Financial investment is not required, not even a little. We have a well funded public health system.

I can't be bothered getting into this with you to be honest and its off topic but every single thing you posted is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

muddypuppy wrote: »
    You really wonder how it's possible for their death rate to be even close to the EU one. I guess a mix of under-reporting and being summer over there at the moment, but damn.
    I think also a relatively young population.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

tom1ie wrote: »
    Am i correct in thinking that once someone has the vaccine, after the immunity has taken hold, (2 weeks?), they can still get Covid but have very mild to no symptoms?
    in this case they can also still pass on covid to someone who hasn't been vaccinated? (albeit it at a much less transmissible rate, but still possible.)

You're correct

I can't be bothered getting into this with you to be honest and its off topic but every single thing you posted is wrong.

It's not like, but you do what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

All of the below is my understanding of how it works:

Yes, you can probably catch covid if you are vaccinated but because you are vaccinated you probably won't notice and probably have no symptoms, this is how it is supposed to work.

There is no evidence that a vaccinated person who catches covid (most probably without noticing) will not be infectious, the opposite is also true, there is also no evidence that a vaccinated person will be infectious.

You're correct

Ok so Is this being explained to people when they get their vaccine does anyone know?

OwenM wrote: »
    All of the below is my understanding of how it works:

Yes, you can probably catch covid if you are vaccinated but because you are vaccinated you probably won't notice and probably have no symptoms, this is how it is supposed to work.

There is no evidence that a vaccinated person who catches covid (most probably without noticing) will not be infectious, the opposite is also true, there is also no evidence that a vaccinated person will be infectious.

Was there not a study showing the vaccine reduces transmissibility by 40% or something (maybe more) hence you can still pass it on but at a reduced amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Ok so Is this being explained to people when they get their vaccine does anyone know?

The penny is starting to drop.

If you refuse to take the necessary steps to control a disease and entirely rely on medication, you'll get your half-arsed solution :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Was there not a study showing the vaccine reduces transmissibility by 40% or something (maybe more) hence you can still pass it on but at a reduced amount.

I believe that was based on the first injection only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

The_Brood wrote: »
    The Dutch, previously the only E U nation more placid and obedient to authority than Ireland, now out fighting for their freedom on the streets. I dont know if they are normal people or anti mask nutters, but governments must pay for their lack of clarity and organisation that is causing devestation.

Meehoe Tony and Leo still doing whatever they want unabated.

Ok I have to come in here. No way is this true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

1084 swabs, +7.28% positivity rate (Monday)

Good :)

Gradius wrote: »

If you refuse to take the necessary steps to control a disease and entirely rely on medication, you'll get your half-arsed solution :p

It dropped with myself a long time ago! But I’m wondering are people being made aware of this when they get the vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Isn’t that the same as every vaccine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

1084 swabs, +7.28% positivity rate (Monday)

Good :)

Open the pubs..... I mean schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Gradius wrote: »

Many diseases respond very well to medication. The half-arsed solution to diseases like measles and cancer is medication.

BlondeBomb wrote: »
    Isn’t that the same as every vaccine?

possibly, but from what im hearing on radio or online people think they are completely immune after getting the vaccines and no longer have to take preventative measures, mask wearing SD etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

It's on page 10 of the patient information booklet:

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/covid-19-vaccine-materials/covid-19-vaccine-information-leaflet-after-18-jan.pdf

possibly, but from what im hearing on radio or online people think they are completely immune after getting the vaccines and no longer have to take preventative measures, mask wearing SD etc

People are thick, the info around how the vaccines work has been made available from day one. Transmission data, while looking promising, is not complete.

• Advertisement

ah yeah but do people actually read this.
    should the HSE/nphet not be hammering home the point on the daily updates and likewise with RTE.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement