Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXI-187,554 ROI (2,970 deaths) 100,319 NI (1,730 deaths)(24/01)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Vicxas wrote: »
    Am i allowed walk the dog? Is that a reasonable excuse?

No but your dog can walk you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Vicxas wrote: »
    Sorry this whole offence thing is rubbing me the wrong way.

Is the 5km thing gone, is the 2km gone!? They've done a fcuking horrible job explaining this.

Am i allowed walk the dog? Is that a reasonable excuse?

Is said deliberately in a confusing manner so people feel safer not leaving the house. There is a myriad of genuine reasons to leave ones home. Shopping is one, care for a family member or someone in your bubble. To tend a grave, many others and no distance restriction. 5km applies only to excerise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

In the last hour alone I've heard of 2 different people in their 50's who have died of Covid both based in Dublin. One a GP who was self isolating in his bedroom and didn't make it to the morning.
    I know of 4 people in my estate alone who've tested positive yesterday alone, all different households.

In the short time you've been here, you've certainly been on the receiving end of a lot of bad news alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Upstream

Vitamin D and Zinc only work for people with vitamin D or Zinc deficiencies

Too much zinc gives you copper deficiency which is bad in its own right

most Irish people eat beef regularly and beef is loaded with zinc, but even if you don't eat beef, even if you are vegan!, it's extremely difficult to be deficient in zinc, you'd have to be on some very weird diet

a vegan who isn't eating lentils and chickpeas has more problems than zinc
    zinc-1024x1024.jpg

We all need to supplement with vitamin d though

a small bit of a bell pepper has enough vitamin c for a day, vitamin c is the most fun vitamin to get imho

Thank you, have the family supplementing Vitamin D here, there should be more awareness that roughly half the population are deficient in Vit D, especially at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Is said deliberately in a confusing manner so people feel safer not leaving the house. There is a myriad of genuine reasons to leave ones home. Shopping is one, care for a family member or someone in your bubble. To tend a grave, many others and no distance restriction. 5km applies only to excerise.

It's in plain black and white print

Under the existing Level 5 restrictions people are only able to travel within 5km of their home to exercise.

Nothing confusing about that

• Advertisement

In the short time you've been here, you've certainly been on the receiving end of a lot of bad news alright.
    Just a coincidence I’m sure.

spookwoman wrote: »
    It's in plain black and white print

Under the existing Level 5 restrictions people are only able to travel within 5km of their home to exercise.

Nothing confusing about that

I believe the OP was referring to the senior Garda on the news earlier referring to a genuine reason. Thanks for confirming what I said about excerise. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Upstream wrote: »
    Thank you, glad you made it, just asking because I think vitamin C and D may also help, but a sizeable portion of the medical community seem to overlook them.

because there is no evidence that they help people who aren't deficient in them. if you are deficient it can make your covid worse but if you have enough taking extra doesn't help

both those are water soluble and high dose water soluble vitamins (higher than RDA) can give you diarrhea, dehydration is a common cause of hospitalization in Covid cases so easy on the vitamins

you probably aren't deficient in zinc unless you are on a fad diet or you have some medical reason for not absorbing it, so you don't need to take it

zinc stops copper being absorbed and people who take zinc supplements over time have been found to be at risk of copper deficiency. Here are some symptoms of copper deficiency from google:

• Fatigue and Weakness. Share on Pinterest. ...
    • Frequent Sickness. People who get sick often may have copper deficiency. ...
    • Weak and Brittle Bones. ...
    • Problems With Memory and Learning. ...
    • Difficulties Walking. ...
    • Sensitivity to Cold. ...
    • Pale Skin. ...
    • Premature Gray Hair.
    if you really really want to take it, try to increase your copper intake

here's some people with qualifications to back up what i'm saying https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Zinc-HealthProfessional/

I believe the OP was referring to the senior Garda on the news earlier referring to a genuine reason. Thanks for confirming what I said about excerise. ;-)
    No, you said

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Upstream wrote: »
    Thank you, have the family supplementing Vitamin D here, there should be more awareness that roughly half the population are deficient in Vit D, especially at this time of year.

oh absolutely! It's crazy! i feel like every time you visit a doctor they should be like.. oh you supplement vit D in the winter, right?

I mean it's so so so cheap, like 3 cents a day, and it's so important for health

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,539 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd be very surprised if we don't hear more about a GP in their 50s dying at home with Covid, going from self-isolating to dying by the morning.

If it happened, that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Are we still in level 5 of level 5 +++++++

No, you said

I heard the senior officer on the news earlier aswell I believe also he was somewhat unclear. But hey if you think labouring the point is important have at it.
    Although we still agree 5km is only an excerise which rurally is ignored by many myself included.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

Mike3549 wrote: »
    Theres only 4: apple, google, microsoft and amazon, how many of them do manufacturing?
    And in fairness, all of them are essential.

Facebook intel msd gsk and a hape more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Pretty sure all the reasons will be listed here shortly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Endintheclowns

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if we don't hear more about a GP in their 50s dying at home with Covid, going from self-isolating to dying by the morning.

If it happened, that is.

Should be in the news tomorrow. Not sure if they release the age of people who pass away though. Based in South Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Solar2021

I was grooming my pet unicorn before I read this. I believe you. He believes you too.

Grooming something sausage shaped i'd say :pac:

I heard the senior officer on the news earlier aswell I believe also he was somewhat unclear. But hey if you think labouring the point is important have at it.
    Although we still agree 5km is only an excerise which rurally is ignored by many myself included.

Why am I not surprised, suppose you have to travel between all those wives you have. They's pretty soon find out if they lived within 5km of you otherwise. :rolleyes:

Solar2021 wrote: »
    Grooming something sausage shaped i'd say :pac:

You should have known I was only joking, who ever heard of a unicorn talking. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

eggy81 wrote: »
    Facebook intel msd gsk and a hape more.

Pretty sure msd and gsk’s market cap is less than a trillion which was the statement

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like super spreader event in Washington DC! Loons!!!

Why am I not surprised, suppose you have to travel between all those wives you have. They's pretty soon find out if they lived within 5km of you otherwise. :rolleyes:[/quote
    May I ask what are you on about? Why not just scroll by instead of seeking a row which however you won’t get off me. Far to clever for that tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

prophets of doom are utd on this thread

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Looks like super spreader event in Washington DC! Loons!!!
    Yeah looks like a coup on capital hill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Not for the fainthearted this one.
    Dr John laying it out about our plight....if we haven't already grasped the situation we are now in
    https://youtu.be/toojPNAPsbs

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Just find it hard to believe that many people are catching covid standing outside with a pint. Can't be a big driver. I think a lot of people trying to stop it don't like alcohol.

Just watching a program about the immune system that's being shown on BBC1, and one of the things tested and demonstrated is that immune cells (and there are a whole range of them) are supressed by alcohol. The test subject is not a heavy drinker, and had blood samples taken in the evening, and then the following morning after drinking half a bottle of prosecco.

Some of the immune cells had been 50% supressed, and levels of all immune cells were down, so it would seem that it's not just the effect of the alcohol in reducing inhibitions, and encouraging inappropriate behaviour, the ability of the immune system is also compromised by alcohol, and not as a result of drinking massivly significant quantities.

Seems that there is some science behind the desire to reduce alcohol consumption during this pandemic. Won't suit the agenda of the wet pub lovers, but I can't help that.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Hodger

“Gardai have also warned that it is an offence for people to be outside their homes "without reasonable excuse".

Im assuming exercise and shopping are reasonable excuses, and not kids hanging around shops or just hanging around in groups

I googled 5 km exercise to find news articles from today from Wicklow news.
    People will be required to stay at home except for travel for work, education or other essential purposes, and will be permitted to take exercise within 5 km of home.

https://wicklownews.net/2021/01/schools-to-remain-closed-until-feb-1st-under-new-restrictions/

If you like a drink this disastrous what about smoking?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,258 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

yop wrote: »
    3 counties with growing rates of Covid are Dublin, Limerick and Mayo. All 3 were involved in the AI finals. Not sure what it was like in Limerick there but in Dublin talking to the various fans there and the same up here the pubs and hotels were very lax in numbers and duration.
    I know that people blame the visitors to Rathkeale but there is a lot more at play in these counties also.
    I know lots of people who came back from the UK during Xmas and didn't self isolate, add to that a few Stephens night parties in hotels and it has lit the fuse up here.

While I get the frustration and have read some of the reports on the issue, its to easy to point the figure.
    yop wrote: »
    They are indeed. Mayo, Limerick and Dublin has spikes after the Ai finals.

Some good charts here with the trends for each County.
    Donegal, like Mayo again would have a big influx of people coming home but also a large number of holiday homes.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/coronavirus-in-ireland-latest-county-by-county-data-1053316.html

I thought GAA had learned their lesson with celebrations large gatherings etc.,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Just watching a program about the immune system that's being shown on BBC1, and one of the things tested and demonstrated is that immune cells (and there are a whole range of them) are supressed by alcohol. The test subject is not a heavy drinker, and had blood samples taken in the evening, and then the following morning after drinking half a bottle of prosecco.

Some of the immune cells had been 50% supressed, and levels of all immune cells were down, so it would seem that it's not just the effect of the alcohol in reducing inhibitions, and encouraging inappropriate behaviour, the ability of the immune system is also compromised by alcohol, and not as a result of drinking massivly significant quantities.

Seems that there is some science behind the desire to reduce alcohol consumption during this pandemic. Won't suit the agenda of the wet pub lovers, but I can't help that.

Desire to reduce alcohol consumption?

All AA meetings are now illegal and instances of liver disease increased during March-May lockdown.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement