Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXI-187,554 ROI (2,970 deaths) 100,319 NI (1,730 deaths)(24/01)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

ShyMets wrote: »
    All part of blame Bingo. Cant wait to see who's going be drawn out next

Too fat ladies:D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Absolutely fcukin pathetic the amount of leaks in the government.it would be comical if it wasn’t as serious.
    Fcukin jumped up gombeens tripping over each other to send out the first tweet telling all their followers that they are in the know.
    I wouldn’t be going robbing a bank with any of the fcukers that’s for sure.you’d have Leo as bag man and the fcuker would be tweeting photos of himself with the bank manager at the counter.
    A jokeshop of a setup
    MM and LV should be clamping down in that alright, should be a single designated communication protocol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

Tandey wrote: »
    You know why the main reason they are doing this? It’s because the are after getting away with it on whatever site they’ve come from for 8-10 hours earlier.

The covid regulations on site is “ guys theirs an officer/boss coming on site masks on. Sees guy leave, take masks off and work in close proximity like usual”
    Not where we are anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

j@utis wrote: »
    I saw pictures from one Dublin hospital yesterday (taken by one of their staff). ER reception was completely empty. I won't name the hospital because their staff might get thrown into jail for "public disturbance" as it happened to that lady in UK for filming empty hospital corridors.

Do you realise people are probably scared to go to hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Of the top 5 most infectious counties, 4 are border counties and 1 Limerick has high infection rate in Rathkeale.

We can only surmise that those 5 counties must have the more infectious UK strain running riot and travel to and from the UK played a part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Will a curfew be introduced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Yes an unenforceable one , we are also closing all national borders and county borders. Well that’s what my sources on FB and WhatsApp are saying.
    Personally I’d wait until an official announcement is made but it’s still unenforceable due to available resources.

The 5km limit will be reduced to 2km again I'd assume.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Endintheclowns

Pretty shocking comparison. We are being used as the worst case scenario in peoples' analysis of global situation. Not a good look. That happened fast.
    :(

An absolute embarrassment. But hey at least the Irish had their Xmas what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Absolutely fcukin pathetic the amount of leaks in the government.it would be comical if it wasn’t as serious.
    Fcukin jumped up gombeens tripping over each other to send out the first tweet telling all their followers that they are in the know.
    I wouldn’t be going robbing a bank with any of the fcukers that’s for sure.you’d have Leo as bag man and the fcuker would be tweeting photos of himself with the bank manager at the counter.
    A jokeshop of a setup

I have found it disgusting that before every single announcement the media are first to know and get the information before we do. It seems like the FF Councillors were told to delete because the media had not been given the scoop first.

It doesn't do much against the theory that the political and media class are intertwined.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I don't think so. There's been no kite flying on this at all. The 2km limit may be seen as unfair in certain areas where there's little greenway, forcing people to congregate in smaller areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

Has there been any indication of what time any announcement will be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

It’s terrible , what must the neighbours think of us? Although I remember sneering attitude of some posts here not so long ago about our neighbours. Swings and roundabouts.

Don't think anyone cares what the neighbours think. It's that we went from being one of best countries in Europe to worst in space of a few weeks which inevitably means more people getting sick and dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Besides you don’t go to A&E with Covid. People that need and are avoiding the A&E are putting their own health at risk though. If you’re sick/potentially sick then you need to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

and completely ignored like the last one

as far as border counties everyone i know had reduced contacts (we barely left the house)

but the number of uk and out of county cars was ridiculous so i assume everyone visiting everyone seeded the virus creating the 8+ fold increases we are seeing 2 weeks later

Eod100 wrote: »
    Don't think anyone cares what the neighbours think. It's that we went from being one of best countries in Europe to worst in space of a few weeks which inevitably means more people getting sick and dying.

Irish obsessed with how we look abroad, even though no one cares or hardly knows where Ireland is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Endintheclowns

So the government is set to announce their decisions today. I’m not trying to scare anyone, I am not fear mongering or being overly dramatic, this is as critical as I have ever seen it. These decisions will have critical impacts on everyone, including the people that have to make them.

I also hear a lot about the 99% recovery rate, this recovery rate includes huge numbers of people who have been left with life long complications from this virus who will need HSE input for the rest of their lives. The recovery rate is people who have not died from the virus, not people who have made a 100% recovery. Seasonal flu has a 0.1% mortality rate, COVID currently has a huge higher mortality rate, but that mortality rate has been kept low because of remarkable work done by the HSE to keep people alive. If we continue on this trajectory, that mortality rate will only go up, not down.

Please stay safe everyone, you are all responsible for your own decisions, all I ask is you take a moment to think before you make your decision and not plot the same course as many of you did at Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I saw pictures from one Dublin hospital yesterday (taken by one of their staff). ER reception was completely empty. I won't name the hospital because their staff might get thrown into jail for "public disturbance" as it happened to that lady in UK for filming empty hospital corridors.

No point videoing the ER as this will be empty. Covid patients are kept well away, isolated and staff looking after them will be covered head to toe in PPE. Also there'll be oxygen everywhere for the patients. Take it from me - my wife is working at a Dublin hospital and they're in a bad way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Irish obsessed with how we look abroad, even though no one cares or hardly knows where Ireland is.

Nope. It's that we're in a very bad situation in general. I couldn't give a toss how we're viewed abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

If you're really sick you'd go anywhere to seek help. If you're just looking for attention - you'd probably stay at home this time, i.e. this is what happened to those patients on the trolleys years before covid, remember the reports of hospitals corridors being jammed pack with them, now suddenly they're all ok?

I’m just off the phone with my dentist where I managed to get an appointment for tomorrow. The receptionist said they are closed next week. I didn’t ask why but will do tomorrow. Surely they’re open as an essential service?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Yes an unenforceable one , we are also closing all national borders and county borders. Well that’s what my sources on FB and WhatsApp are saying.
    Personally I’d wait until an official announcement is made but it’s still unenforceable due to available resources.

Most of these measures are unenforceable. The government needs people to exercise personal responsibility.

The government also knows that if they bring in a restriction, some people will ignore it. However, a lot of other people won't so it'll mean less people moving and a reduction of the risk in spreading the virus.

This isn't a game of absolutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

If you're really sick you'd go anywhere to seek help. If you're just looking for attention - you'd probably stay at home this time, i.e. this is what happened to those patients on the trolleys years before covid, remember the reports of hospitals corridors being jammed pack with them, now suddenly they're all ok?

Any more nuggets from the whatsapp/Facebook feed? What are your thoughts on vaccines? microchips / bill gates. I've heard some suspicions but you seem to be in the know. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

That's largely down to there being little or no flu.

An absolute embarrassment. But hey at least the Irish had their Xmas what.
    There was nothing wrong with the theory of it, a brief respite where we knew there would be a return to restrictions is a useful aid in maintaining compliance. We assumed there would be a surge but nobody predicted these levels of numbers.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Most of these measures are unenforceable. The government needs people to exercise personal responsibility.

The government also knows that if they bring in a restriction, some people will ignore it. However, a lot of other people won't so it'll mean less people moving and a reduction of the risk in spreading the virus.

This isn't a game of absolutes.
    The CMO has hinted there are signs that the numbers of contacts are coming down. Once that gets to the 2-3 mark we should see a fairly rapid decline in headline numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We didn't do it before, we're unlikely to do it this time.

As far as I can tell, there has never been a curfew in the Republic, ever, and the last time there was a curfew was in Dublin during the war of independence.

The optics of a curfew are very draconian, authoritarian. It's not really in our DNA.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I’m just off the phone with my dentist where I managed to get an appointment for tomorrow. The receptionist said they are closed next week. I didn’t ask why but will do tomorrow. Surely they’re open as an essential service?
    Most dentists closed in April. Only emergency dentistry was permitted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Maybe the dentist is a vulnerable person and doesnt want to be do close to peoples mouths while performing procedures.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement