Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXI-187,554 ROI (2,970 deaths) 100,319 NI (1,730 deaths)(24/01)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

seamus wrote: »
    We didn't do it before, we're unlikely to do it this time.

As far as I can tell, there has never been a curfew in the Republic, ever, and the last time there was a curfew was in Dublin during the war of independence.

The optics of a curfew are very draconian, authoritarian. It's not really in our DNA.
    Looking out my windows of an evening, as one does, traffic and footfall is very reduced. Even now the streets are fairly deserted. It is March+!

Maybe the dentist is a vulnerable person and doesnt want to be do close to peoples mouths while performing procedures.

Perhaps. He’s a chatty fella so I’ll ask him tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

j@utis wrote: »
    If you're really sick you'd go anywhere to seek help. If you're just looking for attention - you'd probably stay at home this time, i.e. this is what happened to those patients on the trolleys years before covid, remember the reports of hospitals corridors being jammed pack with them, now suddenly they're all ok?

Covid made the hypochondriac’s well .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Covid made the hypochondriac’s well .

Hypochondriacs don't end up on trolleys.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

is_that_so wrote: »
    There was nothing wrong with the theory of it, a brief respite where we knew there would be a return to restrictions is a useful aid in maintaining compliance. We assumed there would be a surge but nobody predicted these levels of numbers.
    The theory was sound; there was going to need to be a pressure valve. One way or another people were going to meet up for Xmas regardless of the rules. So a loosening of restrictions to a reasonable level might encourage people to do their best to be safe.

But, people are people. Opening hospitality was probably a mistake which should have been avoided. NPHET signalled it, plenty of people were wary of what it meant.

But that doesn't mean it's hospitality's fault. For all we know, we'd be in exactly the same situation even without hospitality open. I know lots of people who broke even the loose restrictions; with 10+ people in their homes from 5/6/7 different households.

There are plenty of people who lay all the blame here with government policy; but you're living in fantasy land if you think that maintaining level 5 (or even level 3) through December would have kept people at home and kept numbers down. The same people who went to restaurant five nights a week, would have hosted dinner at their house five nights a week.

The open question is to what extent the opening of hospitality fanned the flames. But there was always going to be an explosion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

j@utis wrote: »
    I saw pictures from one Dublin hospital yesterday (taken by one of their staff). ER reception was completely empty. I won't name the hospital because their staff might get thrown into jail for "public disturbance" as it happened to that lady in UK for filming empty hospital corridors.

I saw a picture of Heathrow airport today and there wasn't a single person standing on the runway, can't believe they are trying to tell us the airport is busy!

#sheeple
    #antivax
    #itsjustflu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

We didn't do it before, we're unlikely to do it this time.

As far as I can tell, there has never been a curfew in the Republic, ever, and the last time there was a curfew was in Dublin during the war of independence.

The optics of a curfew are very draconian, authoritarian. It's not really in our DNA.

Im in Spain where curfew is from 11pm to 6am. No big deal here. Got used to it quick enough.

Everything is closed so the curfew doesn't make a lot of difference.

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Im in Spain where curfew is from 11pm to 6am. No big deal here. Got used to it quick enough.

Curfew makes little difference to those who follow the lockdown, it did make it much easier to spot and punish the idiots though, so I'm in favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

jobeenfitz wrote: »

People say it's unenforceable but presumably a threat of fine say and default position that you have to be at home unless for essential reasons would reduce number of people about. I don't think there's any of it being introduced here now though

polesheep wrote: »
    Hypochondriacs don't end up on trolleys.

They tend to clog up doctors waiting rooms and A&Es. Since Covid not so much, seems the fear of actually getting sick has changed things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

They tend to clog up doctors waiting rooms and A&Es. Since Covid not so much, seems the fear of actually getting sick has changed things.

Sure, but the OP referenced trollies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

GreeBo wrote: »
    Is that you "some random covid denier potato thanks whore"?
    Read the post. Sounds like it’s come from someone with authority on the whole situation. I’m not a potato denier thingy whatever your talking about there.

polesheep wrote: »
    Sure, but the OP referenced trollies.

The OP also referenced pre Covid. Point is Covid seems to have cured Hypochondria.
    Although I’m sure there is genuine sick people terrified to go to their doctor or A&E which is not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

Really need to stop reading the news on this and the lockdown rumors. Have just got on with things and followed everything so far but just feel so deflated after doing all that we are back to the start again and maybe worse off . I imagine loads feel the same but this lockdown will be brutal and is finally getting to me. Having said that I agree and know it needs to be done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

The theory was sound; there was going to need to be a pressure valve. One way or another people were going to meet up for Xmas regardless of the rules. So a loosening of restrictions to a reasonable level might encourage people to do their best to be safe.

But, people are people. Opening hospitality was probably a mistake which should have been avoided. NPHET signalled it, plenty of people were wary of what it meant.

But that doesn't mean it's hospitality's fault. For all we know, we'd be in exactly the same situation even without hospitality open. I know lots of people who broke even the loose restrictions; with 10+ people in their homes from 5/6/7 different households.

There are plenty of people who lay all the blame here with government policy; but you're living in fantasy land if you think that maintaining level 5 (or even level 3) through December would have kept people at home and kept numbers down. The same people who went to restaurant five nights a week, would have hosted dinner at their house five nights a week.

The open question is to what extent the opening of hospitality fanned the flames. But there was always going to be an explosion.

That's right on the money.

rafi bomb wrote: »
    Really need to stop reading the news on this and the lockdown rumors. Have just got on with things and followed everything so far but just feel so deflated after doing all that we are back to the start again and maybe worse off . I imagine loads feel the same but this lockdown will be brutal and is finally getting to me. Having said that I agree and know it needs to be done

I’m having one of those days too.

Apologies to all but most of my posts today will be me whinging :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The message which I think should be communicated is that this is the worst of it, it's heads down everyone and let's get through the next few months until the vaccines begin to make a difference. I don't want to see any TDs breaking ranks.

We can afford to borrow and keep businesses and people supported for a few months.

People should get out and go for a walk to keep themselves sane. Despite the cold it's a beautiful time of year, it's very quiet but you can feel a sense of anticipation in the air from nature waiting to spring back.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I’m having one of those days too.

Apologies to all but most of my posts today will be me whinging :D

Same here just feeling deflated

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Besides you don’t go to A&E with Covid. People that need and are avoiding the A&E are putting their own health at risk though. If you’re sick/potentially sick then you need to go.

I know people should go. But if it was me falling and breaking a leg, I wouldn't be going.

Stheno wrote: »
    Same here just feeling deflated

Have you even ventured into the Forum Games section of boards? It’s good fun and is a great way to take your mind off things.

• Advertisement

Just heard her speak on Sky news. A strong message of no return to “normal” expected this year with masks becoming a long term requirement beyond this year, similar to how Asia have done for sometime now.

However, I do get a sense that anybody in such a position as the CMO, the last message they want to be conveying to mass public is that it is that they expect life to return to normal and we can start to let our guard down as the light at the end of the tunnel is approaching.

Was it Dr Jenny Harries? I'm trying to find where a CMO said this. Maybe it was on the news only and not reported on the Sky website.

I know people should go. But if it was me falling and breaking a leg, I wouldn't be going.

Reasonable and well thought out as always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Complete madness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

is_that_so wrote: »
    There was nothing wrong with the theory of it, a brief respite where we knew there would be a return to restrictions is a useful aid in maintaining compliance. We assumed there would be a surge but nobody predicted these levels of numbers.

Exactly. It was a bit of respite. It was my first time in ages going home and catching up with family and friends. It allowed us to act normally for a week or so and forget about this bloody virus. In fact because of the time I had with my family I now don't feel so anxious for this lockdown.

Bring on the vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

Yeah I probably wouldn't go either unless I was in a very bad way.

There's a third less staff than there was in the first wave. The temps are all in limbo at the moment, they were supposed to be starting placements and that's been cancelled.

So you wouldn't go to hospital with a broken leg?

Let me guess, you would use kale and hummus to fix it?

Yeah I probably wouldn't go either unless I was in a very bad way.

Ah so you'd go for a bad broken leg, but stay at home if it was just a regular broken leg? Walk it off maybe? Magic sponge?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Have you even ventured into the Forum Games section of boards? It’s good fun and is a great way to take your mind off things.

Am back to work tomorrow that will sort it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

You would be potentially leaving yourself with a lifelong disability depending on how bad the break is. That is why an xray would be required.

Not going would be simply madness.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

GreeBo wrote: »
    So you wouldn't go to hospital with a broken leg?

Let me guess, you would use kale and hummus to fix it?

I wouldn't go to hospital with a broken leg while covid is rampant. I'll get over a broken leg, i may not get over covid. It will probably heal improperly, but that's what I'll pay for not catching covid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement