Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News Media Spin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Kivaro wrote: »
    That is so funny. It sounds like RTE's "Trust Matters" advertisement.
    So called mainstream media outlets (CNN, SKY, FOX etc.) outside of Ireland are owned by billionaires who's primary purpose for those outlets is to make money. The fact that these billionaires have their own agenda would make these media outlets untrustworthy, with no little to no integrity in their reporting and editorials. Similarly, mainstream media in Ireland is agenda driven.

All media is agenda driven. At the end of the day it is a person who is writing/reporting etc and they all have a personal opinion which they allow to sway their point of view.
    People holding aloft non mainstream media as the only valid source of information is laughable.
    Which media source do you think has integrity?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Kivaro wrote: »
    That is so funny. It sounds like RTE's "Trust Matters" advertisement.
    So called mainstream media outlets (CNN, SKY, FOX etc.) outside of Ireland are owned by billionaires who's primary purpose for those outlets is to make money. The fact that these billionaires have their own agenda would make these media outlets untrustworthy, with no little to no integrity in their reporting and editorials. Similarly, mainstream media in Ireland is agenda driven.

RTE isn’t exactly profitable, so what billionaire is pulling the strings there?

“In this day and age, people want something that tends to affirm their views and opinions”, Christopher Ruddy - owner of Newsmax. It shows that he has an agenda. He is actually running an openly biased news outlet that tells his target audience exactly what they want to hear and that is not necessarily the truth.

No one is disagreeing that many news outlets (if some can even be called that) are not heavily biased.

Critical thinking comes into play, and Ruddy seems to acknowledge that some people don’t want to be thinking and just spoon fed nonsense. There is a portion of the population that are not capable of critical thinking, another that never want to critically think either. Maybe critical thinking should be taught (better) in school.

It may be worth reading the whole thread as it does identify some potential reasons why stories are not as in-depth as they once were, are not followed up on etc. It does not mean that the particular stories are wrong even if they clash with an individual’s ingrained beliefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

AllForIt wrote: »
    As valid unbiased news sources go, RTE, - forget it.

Can somebody explain this one to me? Both the left in all its forms and the very small far right in this country always make this claim. That RTE has a FF FG bias.

Prime Time, and other RTE documentaries, have in recent years done widely recevied special investigations on issues which are either directly run by government, regulated by government, or are a monumental failure of government policy.

Off the top of my head

- mismanaged creches

- mismanaged nursing homes

- overcrowded unsafe rental accommodation

- more features on the housing crisis and hotel living than I care to remember

- that local FF or FG councillor in Monaghan or wherever it was taking bribes

- hospital beds crisis

- frequently giving a roasting to incompetent FF/ FG figures on Prime Time, the Week in Politics etc etc

The above are just a handful of examples of RTE shining a light on government mismanagement, either direct or regulatory.

They also give a more than equal billing to the hard left. They get 4 percent of the vote yet it is rare to see a four person panel discussion without one of Murphy, Barrett, Smith or, in the past, the odious Coppinger in attendance.

Regarding those who claim it has a left wing bias, I've seen a handful of pieces which would go against that. Prime Time broadcast a piece that asked questions about what exactly Ibrahim Halawa was doing in Egypt and who his father was really connected to. They did a piece on the decline of the Irish population in inner city Dublin.

They dropped the ball banning MLMD from the leaders debate that time (and I am no SF voter) but aside from that RTE really do tend to give everyone a fair slot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

All media is agenda driven. At the end of the day it is a person who is writing/reporting etc and they all have a personal opinion which they allow to sway their point of view.
    People holding aloft non mainstream media as the only valid source of information is laughable.
    Which media source do you think has integrity?

Already provided earlier.

• Advertisement

Can somebody explain this one to me? Both the left in all its forms and the very small far right in this country always make this claim. That RTE has a FF FG bias.

Prime Time, and other RTE documentaries, have in recent years done widely recevied special investigations on issues which are either directly run by government, regulated by government, or are a monumental failure of government policy.

Off the top of my head

- mismanaged creches

- hospital beds crisis

- frequently giving a roasting to incompetent FF/ FG figures on Prime Time, the Week in Politics etc etc

The above are just a handful of examples of RTE shining a light on government mismanagement, either direct or regulatory.

They also give a more than equal billing to the hard left. They get 4 percent of the vote yet it is rare to see a four person panel discussion without one of Murphy, Barrett, Smith or, in the past, the odious Coppinger in attendance.

Regarding those who claim it has a left wing bias, I've seen a handful of pieces which would go against that. Prime Time broadcast a piece that asked questions about what exactly Ibrahim Halawa was doing in Egypt and who his father was really connected to. They did a piece on the decline of the Irish population in inner city Dublin.

They dropped the ball banning MLMD from the leaders debate that time (and I am no SF voter) but aside from that RTE really do tend to give everyone a fair slot.

As you rightly point out, RTE are not afraid to tackle the government. It seems like RTE isn’t backing some people’s beliefs 100% and so is completely discounted just for that reason alone. Big bad government/billionaire is in charge...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I think some people look for media that fits their own personal bias regardless of facts.

🙈🙉🙊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

It's not the lack of coverage, it's how that coverage is used. Compare the treatment of one Dr Joseph Ebun in her racist rhetoric on prime time vs the racist rhetoric of a presidential candidate.

One gets pilloried and follow up questions, the other gets soft ball agreement. That's the "bias" we are discussing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Off the top of my head

- mismanaged creches

- hospital beds crisis

the only area where RTE has a bias against a left wing party or left wing ideals is with respect of SF , they are undoubtedly very anti Sinn Fein

RTE has always been a Labour party home , with the demise of Labour , they have since devoted their love to the Soc Dems and the Greens but PBP are seen as at worst well meaning if a little naive

they might scratch the backs of FF and FG in order to pay the bills but they share no ideological thinking with either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    the only area where RTE has a bias against a left wing party or left wing ideals is with respect of SF , they are undoubtedly very anti Sinn Fein

RTE has always been a Labour party home , with the demise of Labour , they have since devoted their love to the Soc Dems and the Greens but PBP are seen as at worst well meaning if a little naive

they might scratch the backs of FF and FG in order to pay the bills but they share no ideological thinking with either

RTE are far from anti Sinn Fein, just look at the interview on the Late Late Show with Mary Lou. Ryan nearly tripping over himself to tell her how great she was.

The news every night has a huge push of SF into every story even if they have zero to add. Maybe 20 years ago when old Gaybo couldn't stomach sitting beside Gerry but that has long passed. RTE are more than happy to push the SF agenda as much as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

RTE are far from anti Sinn Fein, just look at the interview on the Late Late Show with Mary Lou. Ryan nearly tripping over himself to tell her how great she was.

The news every night has a huge push of SF into every story even if they have zero to add. Maybe 20 years ago when old Gaybo couldn't stomach sitting beside Gerry but that has long passed. RTE are more than happy to push the SF agenda as much as possible.

They push any progressive agenda that SF share with the middle class left

RTE never showed much sympathy for Northern nationalists

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Off the top of my head

- mismanaged creches

- hospital beds crisis

The highlighted part above is subject to a legal challenge later this year, if the whispers are true, and the challenge is upheld, there could be a payout to the crèche(s).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I think we need to look at the coverage of covid after all of this is done. I would argue that the opinion pieces by journalists masqueraded as news has been really unhelpful during the pandemic. It's created a sense of safety when there was only the illusion of safety and pitted certain businesses,lobby groups and organisations against one another. It's increased the cynicism and undermined health professionals and must shoulder a large amount of blame for where we are. The opinions should have been toned down and objective factual reporting increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

“In this day and age, people want something that tends to affirm their views and opinions”, Christopher Ruddy - owner of Newsmax. It shows that he has an agenda. He is actually running an openly biased news outlet that tells his target audience exactly what they want to hear and that is not necessarily the truth.

No one is disagreeing that many news outlets (if some can even be called that) are not heavily biased.

Well at least Ruddy and Newsmax are being honest and upfront about it unlike so many other so called News channels.

Some channels have more scripted storylines than the WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Late Late Show is a light entertainment show. We're talking about News and Current Affairs.

The Late Late Show is a light entertainment show. We're talking about News and Current Affairs.

The Late Late show is supposed to be light entertainment.
    But somewhere over the last year it morphed into a propaganda brainwashing experiment.

Most weeks the show is a box ticking exercise in wokism and political correctness gone mad.
    For example on one show there was a black singer suffering racism, an Asian ethnicity politician, some US political spiel with Gloria Estefan, the Covid fearmongering , and the weekly Trump bashing slot.

Its like something off the Twilight Zone and insulting to viewers, repeatedly shoving this garbage down their throats.

Tubs the teacher, teaching his audience to be better people.
    We are so lucky to have him.

RTE are still very easy on SF. Mary-Lou took over leadership of SF from a guy who protected a paedophile, not once (afaik) has she been asked why she didn't try to have him removed from his position in the party as soon as that story broke.

Every time I see her I can't help but think "this woman worked with a person who protected a child rapist". It's such an obvious question and yet we'll be dead in the ground before RTE ask it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The mainstream media always had spin and pushed an agenda, its always courted polticians favour and vice versa.

What you're seeing now is that the spin has become more blatant as the agenda has become more extreme and is being challenged by more people. MSNBC, CNN, the New York times, the Guardian, they are all almost beyond parody.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I’ll ask again.

What exactly is the spin? Is it that you just don’t like what you hear/read? What are your alternatives? How can you trust non main stream that have no standards?

What do you trust?

Spin = biased = one-sided = economical with the facts = brainwashing (e.g. fake discussions as per CNN), = favouritism = insinuations = targeted vilifications = ignoring some stories, pushing others. Etc.

I just tuned into Sky News and watched a story Sky News themselves created - which was Priti Patel didn't condemn Trump enough according to THEIR standards. After their initial interview with her they ran with a story about her in later updates. That's not the news, that's their spin/slant on things. The news is about what happened in the US not Patel. The news is not what SKY NEWS's opinion is on anything, unless you prefer for the media to think for you? Maybe you do.

• Advertisement

AllForIt wrote: »
    I just tuned into Sky News and watched a story Sky News themselves created - which was Priti Patel didn't condemn Trump enough according to THEIR standards. After their initial interview with her they ran with a story about her in later updates. That's not the news, that's their spin/slant on things. The news is about what happened in the US not Patel. The news is not what SKY NEWS's opinion is on anything, unless you prefer for the media to think for you? Maybe you do.

Sky News has become largely unwatchable over the last 2 years since Comcast took them over.

BBC News is another channel that has deteriorated dramatically in the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Sky News has become largely unwatchable over the last 2 years since Comcast took them over.

Yes, nowhere like the standard it used to be.

I found the whole incident with Beth Rigby and Kay Burly being sacked temporarily most amusing and is a symptom of what's going on.

Particularly Beth Rigby who during the Cummings affair was one of the journalists who pushed and pushed the UK Gov to have him sacked, even during the Coronavirus briefings which weren't meant to be about general politics, but ended up herself flouting coronaviruses rules. Members of the public asked better questions that the journalists who just wish to drag everything down to party politics for their own reasons.

About the only thing on Sky News I watch anymore is Sky Paper Review, because in that set up they have to have opposing guests. But even there that seems to have been watered down a bit I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Listened to Newstalk this evening. The presenter repeatedly referred to the 4 people killed during the storming of the Capitol.
    One person was killed. Three others died but that. During previous BLM protests media outlets were reporting people dying during the protests, who had been killed. Buildings catching fire which had been torched. Subtle bias would be more tolerable. But blatant bias just increases scepticism.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

That was CNN a few months ago.

This is no way a justification of the shameful actions that were witnessed in Washington yesterday...but when everyone is spinning all the time things spin out of control.

WE can only hope that this country doesn't spiral into a s##tshow but given recent events and the media landscape, it doesn't bode well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

This is no way a justification of the shameful actions that were witnessed in Washington yesterday...but when everyone is spinning all the time things spin out of control.

WE can only hope that this country doesn't spiral into a s##tshow but given recent events and the media landscape, it doesn't bode well.

Hypocrisy, great video., CNN as its sharpest! See its the Trump defenders rioting this time, so the daggers and blades are out for them. You can see the way biases influence the very same person to think differently about rioting and violence

And. I backed, the black American protests, last year. African Americans have legitimate grievances about policiing in America. Here, the republican election party has let down the peaceful protestors by not having a commission to resolve this election fraud problem. They were going to support Trump but gave up after people stormed the building. They forget they are put there by the people and the majority want to know did election fraud occur.

Republican party to there detriment has for decades supported fringe elements like the teaparty movement and the movements have just gotten bigger when Trump won the White house. These fringe elements are just a minority, the majority of 72 million that voted for Trump stormed no building yesterday and democrats need to remember that. Republican party let down the party supporters when the sided with democrats. Election fraud not just about Trump, it has wider implications for other elections.

Nobody has a crystal ball. We see now Trump has decided to call it quits (proper decision under the circumstances) and has thrown the rioters under the bus. Trouble from here on make no sense. It only happen if the militant elements are well organized and funded. Not seen much evidence they have the logistics to take over buildings and hold them. Trump militias are definitely a threat and can cause trouble... but how bad unknown,

I whether you expose secrets and election fraud in a peaceful way. It's now time to calm it all down and Biden supported media to begin the transition to forgetting about Trump. Calling for him to be thrown out like a stray dog, or arrested, hardly the best way to stop the madness. Biden in 14 days or so, not long. Chill out with the revenge.

Biden got real work to do now to convince people his right man for the job. His not coming in to do an easy job. Wish him the best, surprise me. If he fails, it be messy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Cant post that vid of Cuomo without including Ramen guy.

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Listened to Newstalk this evening. The presenter repeatedly referred to the 4 people killed during the storming of the Capitol.
    One person was killed. Three others died but that. During previous BLM protests media outlets were reporting people dying during the protests, who had been killed. Buildings catching fire which had been torched. Subtle bias would be more tolerable. But blatant bias just increases scepticism.

Well Newstalk like alot of the Irish media is owned by none other than Communicorp , Denis O Briens company.
    This is the same Denis O Brien who is good friends with the Clintons and has donated between $10 million and $25 million to their charity.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/trump-attacks-clinton-over-denis-o-brien-links-1.2809481
    US Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump has turned his sights on Irish businessman Denis O’Brien as part of his latest attack on Democratic opponent Hillary Clinton.

Mr Trump published a statement late on Wednesday drawing attention to Mr O’Brien’s close ties with the Clintons and the family’s charitable foundation, to which he and his mobile phone company Digicel have donated between $10 million (€9 million) and $25 million (€22 million).

Mr O’Brien’s spokesman told The Irish Times that the businessman would not be responding to Mr Trump’s statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

All news outlets are biased to varying extents. This is a historic fact. even compare the Irish Times to the Press.
    It's unfortunate since the rise of the Tea party/Trump era we have allowed such things enable the festering growth of the fringe elements and their nonsense seeping into the public discourse.
    The attack on capitol hill the other day is what the result is.

Always check a few different sources and draw your own conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I see google have now removed the Parler app from the play store, obviously very confident their monopoly being secure with the Democrats being in power.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    I see google have now removed the Parler app from the play store, obviously very confident their monopoly being secure with the Democrats being in power.

Or maybe it’s to stop nutcases that use the app to communicate when trying to overthrow a democratically elected government. Although it is probably pointless as the nutcases will just move on to another app.

This thread keeps giving with the conspiracy theories.

Advertisement