Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News Media Spin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

You said that you didn’t see the coverage, so why involve it then? You don’t know.

In a thread about news media spin, I replied to a post about people's issues about media spin...I gave a recent example of blatant media spin, that is all I have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,939 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Attacking statues v attacking congress under direction from a sitting president. I wonder what is far more serious...

The BLM riots in the US caused 2 billion dollars worth of damage.
    Thousands of innocent people had their homes and businesses destroyed.
    Their livelihoods were ruined.

Cities burned for weeks, innocent people were beaten up, police were attacked, people were killed.

But the media repeatedly informed us that this was mostly a peaceful protest.

The same media that were up in arms on Wednesday, at the horror unfolding in Washington.
    What would people looking on around the world think of the US, protesters invading the Capitol, like something you would see in a third world country, how can this happen in America ,they wailed.

7 months of rioting ,looting, arson, murder, incitement by BLM and Antifa what exactly was that if not something you would see in a third world tin pot dictatorship.

Double standards, hypocrisy.
    How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ while there is still a beam in your own eye?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Whatever happened to CHAZ, that autonomous zone set up in Seattle?

Boarding up city centre's on election week is something you would see in a 3rd world tin pot dictatorship, if what was witnessed on Wednesday proves to be the only notable incident of violence then it could have gone a lot worse for the US...remember the disgraceful scenes after the 2016 election....most don't!!!

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Whatever happened to CHAZ, that autonomous zone set up in Seattle?

The police cleared it in early July at the Mayors order.
    The mayor’s executive order came in response to a wave of nighttime violence in the four-block area, including four shootings, 2 deaths, arson, and several alleged sexual assaults.
    Lovely place indeed.

• Advertisement

The police cleared it in early July at the Mayors order.
    The mayor’s executive order came in response to a wave of nighttime violence in the four-block area, including four shootings, 2 deaths, arson, and several alleged sexual assaults.
    Lovely place indeed.

Funny how I didn't see that, but I heard all about it being set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Plenty of mainstream media outlets reported on it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Really? A quick google found numerous articles on it being shut down.

Two quick examples.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/22/seattle-dismantle-chaz-protest-zone
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/01/us/seattle-protest-zone-CHOP-CHAZ-unrest.html

Sonics2k wrote: »

I think it's interesting that it was allowed to happen in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

'News' in the USA with CNN/FOX is almost skit news. It is based on sensationalism. Because they need to make money that way in a competitive market place as they are not state owned. It has to be sensationalist to be commercial.

Yeah, that's what it used to be, sensationalist. But now it has taken an ever worse turn imo. I'd love it to go back to simple sensationalism because then they wouldn't favour any particularly newsworthy item over another.
    In Ireland we have state owned channels like RTE and we should be thankful they are balanced in their dissemination of the news for the most part. The only time I remember where delivery of a News Item was extremely awkward for RTE was the death of Gerry Ryan. As it was one of their 'own' and the story was not wholesome, other channels had to give the real full story.

I don't think they are balanced. Outwardly they look like they are balanced but they are not. It is so easy to manipulate the news. All you have to do is ignore some subjects and promote other ones.

• Advertisement

RTE ignored the endemic political corruption of the Dublin (and others) planning department for decades, no one should ever forget that!!!

Look at Sky News Editor-at-large Adam Boulton interviewing someone today.
    What a smug nasty man he is .

https://twitter.com/MaajidNawaz/status/1348034814868385794

Seems like he just knew exactly what buttons to press to trigger her and he's not the sharpest tool in the box.

I think this is a perfect example of where I'm coming from.

Bolton may be completely right, but that's not the point. His reaction is what the viewer might or might not think about her, instead what happened is Bolton is brainwashing the audience to come to the same conclusions as he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Positiveways

Another week of endless anti Sinn Fein spin in the Indo. They really are a sad and despicable right wing gutter click bait. Go to Indo journo Philip Ryan’s Twitter feed.

Some of the bs that he’s been sprouting is just another example of a pro FG rag which has well seen its best before date well and truly expire. He even had the audacity to use homophobic language in one tweet he send attacking SF.

He also claimed that “we got to be careful the stuff we saw in Washington doesn’t happen here” and used a SF protest in govt building during 2010 as an example. The Indo/Sindo axis are a bottomless pit when it comes to their political coverage and news in general.

I hope that people aren’t going to be persuaded by their nasty and vile attacks on FG political opponents. In other words independent newspapers are the gospel for low editorial standards.

AllForIt wrote: »
    I think this is a perfect example of where I'm coming from.

Bolton may be completely right, but that's not the point. His reaction is what the viewer might or might not think about her, instead what happened is Bolton is brainwashing the audience to come to the same conclusions as he does.

The problem nowadays is that too many people in the media cannot seem to tell the difference between reporting the news and creating propaganda.

Another week of endless anti Sinn Fein spin in the Indo. They really are a sad and despicable right wing gutter click bait. Go to Indo journo Philip Ryan’s Twitter feed.

Some of the bs that he’s been sprouting is just another example of a pro FG rag which has well seen its best before date well and truly expire. He even had the audacity to use homophobic language in one tweet he send attacking SF.

He also claimed that “we got to be careful the stuff we saw in Washington doesn’t happen here” and used a SF protest in govt building during 2010 as an example. The Indo/Sindo axis are a bottomless pit when it comes to their political coverage and news in general.

I hope that people aren’t going to be persuaded by their nasty and vile attacks on FG political opponents. In other words independent newspapers are the gospel for low editorial standards.

The problem with newspapers is that they are all online now. In the old days one was free to buy whatever paper you wanted, if you don't buy it you don't read it, but cuz internet their articles are seen more readily by many more ppl though sharing of links on here, social media etc. So their spin gets more traction. Unfortunately. Then again more people will become aware of their spin (I hope) so maybe that's a good thing in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The problem nowadays is that too many people in the media cannot seem to tell the difference between reporting the news and creating propaganda.

Nowadays?

Literally always.

I think the problem is journalists have become more like celebs than journalists. I don't mind the types that are dedicated opinionists, one's that write books, attend intellectual political/social discussions and so on. But these days every bog standard journalist behave as if they are someone of high intellectual worth, someone to be revered for their opinions, when they have no background or qualifications to be considered such.

Even my local county newspaper has more and more opinionist pieces these days. Once there was just an editorial comment piece but now the paper is awash with opinion pieces. Usually moralizing about this that or the other.

It is amazing how many people seem to have discovered last Wednesday that riots are wrong — when many of those same people apparently had not noticed that when riots went on, for weeks or even months, in various cities across the US last year.

For too many people, especially in the media, what is right and wrong, true or false, depends on who it helps or hurts politically.
    Too many media people who are supposed to be reporters act as if they are combatants in political wars.

Someone once said that, in a war, truth is the first casualty. That has certainly been so in the media — and in much of academia as well.

• Advertisement

It is amazing how many people seem to have discovered last Wednesday that riots are wrong — when many of those same people apparently had not noticed that when riots went on, for weeks or even months, in various cities across the US last year.

It's not even hypocrisy. It's calculated spin. They know exactly what they are doing. I've have hardly seen a thing on msm about the ongoing Portland riots except when Trump intervened and took some of them off the streets.

I was just watching a newspiece story about Elon Musk criticising the West Coast tech companies and censorships.
    So I typed "Elon Musk Twitter" into Google, no recent hits.
    I then tried "Elon Musk West Coast", still nothing.

So I said what hits will I get if I try Duck Duck Go ?
    Loads and loads

Censorship is alive and well on Google it would seem.

I was just watching a newspiece story about Elon Musk criticising the West Coast tech companies and censorships.

Loads and loads

I have been doing my best to de-google my life.

If fact I was thinking of starting a thread on it. So many alternatives.

Google doesn't own the internet. Neither does Twitter Facebook or Apple.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Has anyone ever noticed all this conversational brainwashing that goes on.

I recall when years back when we first got CNN on satellite, you'd have a news anchor reading the news. Sky News still follows that format, but you hardly see it on US tv anymore, at least much less.

What you get is conversational pieces, with a group of 'expert' panellist. Highly respected you know.

A prime example of this again last week

Don Lemon stirring the pot again.

If you voted for Trump, you're with the Klan & the Capitol Hill rioters

https://twitter.com/tomselliott/status/1349672644455575554

https://twitter.com/NickFondacaro/status/1349923064138625024

Basically calling all 74m people who voted for Trump as Nazis and White Supremacists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

A prime example of this again last week

Don Lemon stirring the pot again.

If you voted for Trump, you're with the Klan & the Capitol Hill rioters

https://twitter.com/tomselliott/status/1349672644455575554

https://twitter.com/NickFondacaro/status/1349923064138625024

Basically calling all 74m people who voted for Trump as Nazis and White Supremacists.

It’s Ok....RTE were boxing for the other corner this week: https://twitter.com/simodoho/status/1351946685803606018?s=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Loads and loads

You know something is wrong when you have world leaders, who dislike Trump intensely, decry the manner in which he was censored by the big tech companies. I was never one for regulation, but Big Tech is growing into an extremely dangerous entity that can ultimately shape election results in supposedly democratic countries. The likes of Facebook, Google, Amazon, Apple etc. need to be broken up just based on how they abuse the personal data of billions of people around the planet. Facebook has rightly been called the World's Big Brother because it has the biggest surveillance network in the world.

Even Amnesty International say that "Facebook and Google's persistent surveillance of billions of people around the world threatens human rights and free expression."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Loads and loads

You found the story on a news piece, yet according to you, the story is being censored, which makes no sense. I found this in a few seconds of searching

https://techcrunch.com/2021/01/07/elon-musk-dunks-on-facebook-and-recommends-signal-in-wake-of-u-s-capitol-insurrection-attempt/?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xl

It’s Ok....RTE were boxing for the other corner this week: https://twitter.com/simodoho/status/1351946685803606018?s=21

Oh no thats completely unacceptable.
    You cant say bad things about Biden .

• Advertisement

mariaalice wrote: »
    You found the story on a news piece, yet according to you, the story is being censored, which makes no sense. I found this in a few seconds of searching

https://techcrunch.com/2021/01/07/elon-musk-dunks-on-facebook-and-recommends-signal-in-wake-of-u-s-capitol-insurrection-attempt/?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xl

It was being censored at the time, it was a week ago.

Look at the number of hits on Duck Duck Go compared to Google even now, its far less.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=elon+musk+west+coast&t=h_&ia=web

https://www.google.com/search?q=elon+musk+west+coast&sxsrf=ALeKk01ibOCoaFSvenZGVCwZdUOfjT-8rA:1611246346597&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi1uoOxuK3uAhUrRBUIHaJ-BoMQ_AUICigA&biw=1388&bih=1445&dpr=1.35

Advertisement