Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News Media Spin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Oh no thats completely unacceptable.
    You cant say bad things about Biden .

From this thread it appears that bad things can’t be said about trump or else some of ye get your knickers in a twist :pac:

What is the obsession with American media in this thread? Most of it is extremes on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/jan/31/lbcs-maajid-nawazs-fascination-with-conspiracies-raises-alarm

I see The Guardian are attempting to silence Maajid Nawaz.

His response,

https://www.facebook.com/135775283156412/posts/3757865070947397/?d=n

Their piece on him isn't news. It's a hatchet job on Nawaz because he's not an out and out leftie like they are. They don't really care about the so called 'conspiracies', they are just using all that as a weapon to silence him. To them there is noting worse than a Muslim criticizing Muslims.

The Guardian have become the new tabloids, they are embroiled in more controversies like the tabloids used to be years ago.

AllForIt wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/jan/31/lbcs-maajid-nawazs-fascination-with-conspiracies-raises-alarm

I see The Guardian are attempting to silence Maajid Nawaz.

His response,

https://www.facebook.com/135775283156412/posts/3757865070947397/?d=n

Their piece on him isn't news. It's a hatchet job on Nawaz because he's not an out and out leftie like they are. They don't really care about the so called 'conspiracies', they are just using all that as a weapon to silence him. To them there is noting worse than a Muslim criticizing Muslims.

The Guardian have become the new tabloids, they are embroiled in more controversies like the tabloids used to be years ago.
    Eh that reads as legitimate criticism of a public figure... Are they lying or being factually inaccurate? You seem to be annoyed that they're exercising their free speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Eh that reads as legitimate criticism of a public figure... Are they lying or being factually inaccurate? You seem to be annoyed that they're exercising their free speech.

Well then my post is free speech criticisms of them, so what's the problem.

And he's no more a public figure than the people who write for The Guardian, like Owen Jones.

Perhaps I should set up a newspaper, and target all of their contributors. Legitimate criticism. Just free speech. Don't really see what it would have to do with news through. They call themselves a newspaper don't they?

The irony is they are the one's trying to shut down Maajid, so so much for your free speech argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Arguments like this are hollow when Guardianistas aren't exactly known for their love of free speech. One of their own journalists claim to be harassed by their colleagues due to their stance on trans issues, which supports my point.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

What is the obsession with American media in this thread? Most of it is extremes on both sides.

Because it's not just American media. RTE, which is supposed to be impartial and objective, largely now parrots the biases of the US liberal media when it comes to reporting on US politics. The current fawning over Biden being a case in point.

Invidious wrote: »
    Because it's not just American media. RTE, which is supposed to be impartial and objective, largely now parrots the biases of the US liberal media when it comes to reporting on US politics. The current fawning over Biden being a case in point.

Hmm...I don’t know where to start with this, but there was fawning over Trump at the start. However, look what he did and caused. Reporting that he incited an attempted coup is factual. Biden...he hasn’t done anything since taking office to have the press say how naughty he is. He does have almost 4 years left though to turn it around like Trump did.

Hmm...I don’t know where to start with this, but there was fawning over Trump at the start.

On RTE? When? Where? Do you have any links to back up the claim that RTE was "fawning over Trump"?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Hmm...I don’t know where to start with this, but there was fawning over Trump at the start. However, look what he did and caused.

Rubbish.
    RTE and all of the Denis O Brien owned media had an agenda against Trump from before he even took office.
    Reporting that he incited an attempted coup is factual.
    No its not.

See it is all down to perspective, and the only people that complain about media spin are the people most likely to side with Trump. It really gives me a good laugh :pac: :pac:

• Advertisement

See it is all down to perspective, and the only people that complain about media spin are the people most likely to side with Trump. It really gives me a good laugh :pac: :pac:

What happened in Myanmar this week was a coup.
    What happened in Washington was not an attempted coup.

People with TDS are masters of spin.

A fair few of those who took the Capitol will be charged as terrorists that's nothing to do with the media... So domestic terrorism or a failed coup, neither sounds great.

Nah. Sure they were all innocent day trippers, including the guys with zip tie cuffs and guns.

It has nothing to do with Trump. For decades the Irish state media has fawned over every Democratic president while heaping negativity and criticism on every Republican president. And you say there's no spin, no bias, no partisanship?

I'm assuming you still don't have a source for your silly claim that RTE was fawning over Trump at the outset of his presidency?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

AllForIt wrote: »
    I think the problem is journalists have become more like celebs than journalists. I don't mind the types that are dedicated opinionists, one's that write books, attend intellectual political/social discussions and so on. But these days every bog standard journalist behave as if they are someone of high intellectual worth, someone to be revered for their opinions, when they have no background or qualifications to be considered such.

Even my local county newspaper has more and more opinionist pieces these days. Once there was just an editorial comment piece but now the paper is awash with opinion pieces. Usually moralizing about this that or the other.
    Opinion is cheap. Journalism is expensive. There was a shift towards opinion and away from news in the print media in the 1990s. It was a move in the wrong direction as the Internet was beginning to go mainstream. Newspapers ended up chasing bubbles for ad revenue (the DotCom bubble, the property bubble etc). Most are now in a situation where sales figures are collapsing and the bulk of news has a uniformity due to churnalists recycling the same press release. Even the churnalists are being replaced with software that take press releases and produces articles.

Regards...jmcc

It has nothing to do with Trump. For decades the Irish state media has fawned over every Democratic president while heaping negativity and criticism on every Republican president. And you say there's no spin, no bias, no partisanship?

I'm assuming you still don't have a source for your silly claim that RTE was fawning over Trump at the outset of his presidency?

Quick google and you’ll see a lot of news stories. Also, the RTE archives have content on visits of Republican presidents too. Incredible what you’ll find with regard to fawning over all US presidents, especially those with Irish heritage.

Rubbish.
    RTE and all of the Denis O Brien owned media had an agenda against Trump from before he even took office.
    Good friend of the Clintons. O'Brien was expecting Hillary Clinton to win, just like the people in RTE. Things went a bit pear-shaped with the flotation of Digicel in the US.

Trump winning upset RTE and they never forgave him for showing them up as propagandists rather than objective journalists.

Regards...jmcc

Quick google and you’ll see a lot of news stories. Also, the RTE archives have content on visits of Republican presidents too. Incredible what you’ll find with regard to fawning over all US presidents, especially those with Irish heritage.

Care to point me to just one of these RTE stories fawning over a Republican president? If they're so easy to find, you should have no trouble showing us one.

Care to point me to just one of these RTE stories fawning over a Republican president? If they're so easy to find, you should have no trouble showing us one.

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=us+presidents+ireland+visit+rte+archive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

• Advertisement

Smacruairi wrote: »
    So no, you don't. Grand.

Too lazy to click a link? One example there in the RTE archives is Regan was treated like superstar on RTE when he visited. Republican too. I’m not your hand, and so can’t click on links for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Hmm...I don’t know where to start with this, but there was fawning over Trump at the start. .

That is where you started. Then you moved it to republican presidents in general, and then you provided basically a link to a Google search without quoting any "fawning".

Way to debate.

Smacruairi wrote: »
    That is where you started. Then you moved it to republican presidents in general, and then you provided basically a link to a Google search without quoting any "fawning".

Way to debate.

I didn’t move the goals to republican presidents. Reread the thread.

Then there is that woeful Carol Coleman interview with George W. Bush. RTE, with its long history of poxification by Official Sinn Fein/The Workers Party/Eoghan Harris, doesn't like US Republican presidents because one brought down their glorious Soviet Union. :)

Regards...jmcc

One example there in the RTE archives is Regan was treated like superstar on RTE when he visited.

Rubbish. RTE devoted just as much airtime to covering demonstrations against Reagan's visit, all with an approving tone. While they covered the visit itself, they absolutely did not treat him like a "superstar."

During the 2012 election cycle, when President Obama ran for reelection against Mitt Romney, Senator Paul Bradford criticized the "institutionalised pro-Democratic Party bias that exists within RTE," saying: "I wonder why we pay to have an American correspondent ... It would be just as easy for RTE to have a direct link with Democratic national party headquarters."

That said, given that you haven't been able to produce one example of RTE fawning over President Trump, I expect you'll just reiterate your claims without proof. But repeating something doesn't make it true.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I post these questions with no agenda and just to measure a yardstick into boards thoughts here.
    In relation to investigative journalism. Who is fair game and how deep should they legally allowed to dig?
    How should this journalism be funded?
    Could accusatory journalism encourage the Irish people to bypass the justice system they don't trust and eliminating any hope for redemption of a tarnished reputation?

It has nothing to do with Trump. For decades the Irish state media has fawned over every Democratic president while heaping negativity and criticism on every Republican president.

Biden is getting a free pass at the moment , everything he does is given a positive spin.

For example, imagine Trump tried this for his press briefings, imagine the uproar.

https://news.yahoo.com/bidens-press-office-asked-journalists-130914769.html
    On her first day in office, the White House press secretary, Jen Psaki, pledged to bring "truth and transparency back to the briefing room," saying she had a "deep respect for the role of a free and independent press."

But less than two weeks into President Joe Biden's administration, reporters are raising concerns about White House press office staffers trying to get them to give advance notice on which questions they play to ask at briefings, The Daily Beast reported.

Some raised concerns that asking journalists for their questions ahead of time could give the impression that the media is working in conjunction with the Biden administration, allowing officials time to craft good answers.

"That's not really a free press at all."

Other reporters like Politico's Tara Palmeri also criticized the White House press office in response to The Daily Beast's story, tweeting, "To everyone asking why this matters: If Psaki doesn't like your question, she doesn't call on you."

Biden is getting a free pass at the moment , everything he does is given a positive spin.

For example, imagine Trump tried this for his press briefings, imagine the uproar.

https://news.yahoo.com/bidens-press-office-asked-journalists-130914769.html

If you read down a bit further in the article, it's not some new practise and has been done in multiple administrations. So it's not a very exciting story in scheme of things. The Trump administration also did it btw.. Plus the Obama administration, guessing Bush did it too...

I’ll ask again.

What exactly is the spin? Is it that you just don’t like what you hear/read? What are your alternatives? How can you trust non main stream that have no standards?

What do you trust?

I think a good example from the US is how CNN treated the "Covington kid" - the 16 year old who was nearly lynched for wearing a MAGA hat and smiling.

A comparison is how CNN treated Jessie Smollett after his later proven to be fake attack by Trump supporters.

In both cases CNN had a pre-conceived narrative, and they used the greatest media trick, the lie by omission, to tell the story they wanted, and any contrary facts were conveniently dropped.

• Advertisement

All visiting US presidents should be given identical treatment, regardless of political leaning.

Advertisement