Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists with extremely bright white lights flashing

Options
  • 06-01-2021 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭

Why are cyclists putting super bright strobes on the rear of their bikes?

It's bad enough with the ones on the front that are turned up towards the sky and are extremely dazzling and blinding.

There is an absolute moron passes Connolly Station every weekday morning at 0720-0722 and does be passing Donnycarney church around the 0730-0733 times.....

He has a good red on the rear but then on the right lower section of the bike he has a white strobe which is blinding, in the wet it throws light everywhere and messes with the eyes making it difficult to see past him.

I would love for some other cyclists to actually tell him to cop on as he is a danger to others and himself as his cycling style wouldn't be the safest either....

He is an aggressive individual and goes out of his way to put himself in harm's way with buses, he seems to have a huge issue.
    I've have had to endure a shocking amount of abuse off him and he made it his mission to get in my way on numerous occasions while trying to proceed.
    He would cycle out into the road way and be weaving around and such....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Geez sorry about that.

'Does be'?

Anyway, sounds like someone with issues. If it's that bad you could have a word with the gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Geez sorry about that.

Knew you would be on here ;-)

'Does be'?

Anyway, sounds like someone with issues. If it's that bad you could have a word with the gardai.

Not the brightest lamp in the shop or actually come to think of it the brightest on his bike either....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Sounds like he's had a good few close calls with bad drivers, and is trying to be on the offensive about it now.
    Maybe you should just try to give him a wide berth, rather than getting into confrontations with him. Or get a dashcam and report to the Gardai, seeing as you have so many run ins with the guy.

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    Sounds like he's had a good few close calls with bad drivers, and is trying to be on the offensive about it now.
    Maybe you should just try to give him a wide berth, rather than getting into confrontations with him. Or get a dashcam and report to the Gardai, seeing as you have so many run ins with the guy.

No it's not due to close calls imo, he went out of his way with me to cause trouble and put himself at huge risk.

I don't want to be involved and leave these nuts off, wide berth, I hang back and leave thenm off

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

No it's not due to close calls imo, he went out of his way with me to cause trouble and put himself at huge risk.

I don't want to be involved and leave these nuts off, wide berth, I hang back and leave thenm off
    Report it to the Gardai? If he
    Passes the same location at the same time every day, they should be able to “have a word” with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Why not drop in to Store Street Garda Station to tell them, the timing is so specific I am sure they would have a look into it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

And I said, ooh, I'm blinded by the lights
    No, I can't sleep until I feel your touch
    I said, ooh, I'm drowning in the night
    Oh, when I'm like this, you're the one I trust

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Sparksman wrote: »
    RANT.
    your insightful and daringly original views that cyclists are never wrong look particularly foolish after many posts recommending the OP contacts the guards.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Contact the gardai is the right call, not for the lights but dangerous cycling.
    The best thing a cyclist can do is be seen, personally i don't use the flashing ones as i do agree they are distracting but i always have lights,
    if you were a cyclist you know why you need them at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

Ah , must be that time of year again for the " poor old motorist " !!

Insurance , tax ( possible NCT ) .

Neighbours got a new car .

Loosen your belt buckle , and bend over , motorist guys and gals !!

Meanwhile , the cyclist guy ( with the better than none , bright lights ) , smiles and is relieved that his ass ain't like a " clowns pocket " !!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

It's bad enough with the ones on the front that are turned up towards the sky and are extremely dazzling and blinding.

There is an absolute moron passes Connolly Station every weekday morning at 0720-0722 and does be passing Donnycarney church around the 0730-0733 times.....

He has a good red on the rear but then on the right lower section of the bike he has a white strobe which is blinding, in the wet it throws light everywhere and messes with the eyes making it difficult to see past him.

I would love for some other cyclists to actually tell him to cop on as he is a danger to others and himself as his cycling style wouldn't be the safest either....

He is an aggressive individual and goes out of his way to put himself in harm's way with buses, he seems to have a huge issue.
    I've have had to endure a shocking amount of abuse off him and he made it his mission to get in my way on numerous occasions while trying to proceed.
    He would cycle out into the road way and be weaving around and such....

Check youtube, he probably has a channel.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Troll banned. Posts and responses deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Why are motorists putting those super bright lights on new cars?

Am I doing this right?

Perhaps this individual is fed up of being driven too close to.
    Perhaps his lights are perfectly fine but angled wrongly.
    Is there a legal limit on how bright his lights can be?

Dunno because I cannot speak for other cyclists.

Threads like this are always hilarious.

Ever see a cyclist starting a new thread in the motor forums demanding to know why one specific motorist doesn't indicate?

(Maybe they do, I wouldn't put it past one or two, but I've never, seen it)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,614 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Am I doing this right?

No you're not.

There are laws prescribing rules around car lights..

https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/Your-Vehicle-/Road-Worthiness--Related-Offences/Lighting-/

Is there similar for cyclists?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I'll be honest and say it sounds like he gets what he wants. Drivers give him space and time and he can cycle along safely.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

This is one of those situations where laws and regulations haven't kept pace with technology. While motor vehicle headlights have always required to be dipped when approaching oncoming traffic or driving in built up areas, at the time bicycle lighting laws were drafted, it was inconceivable that bike lights could be so bright they would blind oncoming traffic.

A quick/easy fix would be to just transpose German regulations into Irish law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

sydthebeat wrote: »
    No you're not.

https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/Your-Vehicle-/Road-Worthiness--Related-Offences/Lighting-/

Is there similar for cyclists?

Grr
    These motorists with the automatic dipping lights.
    Don't dip for pedestrians or cyclists.

Will you have a word with them please?
    Better?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,867 ✭✭✭billyhead

OP. At least he's not a cycling ninja.

• Advertisement

billyhead wrote: »
    OP. At least he's not a cycling ninja.

I agree. As both an occasional car driver and a cyclist, I would rather see him and know he is there, even if he is fit to blind everybody, than have him in his black jacket on a lashing rain evening with no lights!

Having said that, he is also the worst type of cyclist based on the OP's description but as I said, call the Garda station and I am sure they will have it on their radar and will hopefully nip it in the bud.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this goes in the 'just because you *can* it doesn't mean you *should*' bin. i'd prefer two lights of lesser power purely for redundancy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

I think that we're missing the point that having white lights facing rearwards is an idiotic thing to do, be it on a bike, a car or a MiG 35!

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

I seem to have missed the part that the white and blinding lights are facing rearwards! Yeah, definitely one for the Gardai to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Not quite sure on the legalities, given he has a red rear light able to be seen, despite the "blinding" white light.

However, there are no clear modern standards for cycling lights in this State. And while I'm not a fan of the cheap CREE lights, the messaging from all arms of the State for vulnerable road users is "Be Safe Be Seen". It seems like the cyclist is complying with that recommendation.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Not quite sure on the legalities, given he has a red rear light able to be seen, despite the "blinding" white light.

However, there are no clear modern standards for cycling lights in this State. And while I'm not a fan of the cheap CREE lights, the messaging from all arms of the State for vulnerable road users is "Be Safe Be Seen". It seems like the cyclist is complying with that recommendation.

The RSA website says "Never cycle in the dark without adequate lighting – white for front, red for rear"? Not sure if legally binding though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

You have an inordinate amount of incidents with cyclists and other motorists, maybe it’s time you looked at your own behaviour?

As a wise man once said;

“If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole.”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Am I doing this right?
    sydthebeat wrote: »

Doesn't mean people follow them. I remember when the second gen micra started coming with front fogs as standard and people would drive around with them as their main lights. Really bright and blinding.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

Ignoring legalities, there is a clearly understood setup for all vehicular orientation, that is White=front, Red=rear and Amber=side (or green and red should your mode of transport be afloat!)

Displaying white lights at the rear is as dumb as offering red lights at the front in that other road users will not be able to immediately assess direction of travel.
    Macy0161 wrote: »

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I get what you are saying about annoying light on the back and he sounds like a clown but I'm all for good lights on bikes. I struggle to see so many cyclists with no or at best pound shop lights on their bike, espicall coming out of where I work, there's always a que of traffic on the road and it slopes down hill it's near impossible to see them against all the other car lightsl.

Anything bright flashing and it's easy to pick them out. (Then you can get ready to splat them, Joking)

Advertisement