Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists with extremely bright white lights flashing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

I use ye as plural of you quiet a lot. Was surprised it was considered archaic. I do be continuing to use it though.

It's quite, not quiet :-) sorry, I had to say this, no offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Right so you know when you are driving along minding your own business in a bus lane, in a bus and a cyclist decides it's a brilliant option to pass up the inside when there is no safe space, remember the bus is moving.....

Then say bus stops at stop, go up the road and pass said cyclists, some take this as an insult as it seems many driving cars do.... Ever noticed you go to overtake slow car on motorway only for them to speed up or pull out....
    Now imagine the cyclist without warning does the same, I'm also talking about a 4 lane and even 6 lane road here....
    I would be in lane 2 passing and they would move out and weave.

Corners or bends is another where some race to pass just as you are making this turn and as it's a large vehicle what do you think happens the back end or wheels, they get closer to the kerb....

So much more just stating this guy has serious issues, of course not anywhere near all, most potter along with no issues, one even been thanked, some come up in traffic to say they find us very safe etc etc.

I have never been driving a bus in a bus lane :D

While cycling, I would never go up the inside of a bus unless it is stationery and I can see there is no chance of it moving before I pass.

However on your point about passing cyclists, pulling into bus stops, and cyclists passing again....I have encountered this, breezing by a bus (on outside), bus takes off after me and I had to hit my brakes quite hard when a bus has pulled in to stop just after passing me...usually impatience from the bus driver that I leave in my wake up the road further. It is dangerous and therefore I can see how tempers can raise. Btw, I am not saying that you pulled in dangerously. Maybe the cyclist has had close encounters with other drivers on the same route and the default reaction becomes getting annoyed.

I only ever hit a vehicle a slap probably twice. Both times when they veered in on top of me. It’s a bit weird to hit a stationery vehicle!

Some people drive, cycle, and walk with a death wish. There is not much anyone can do about it. Getting annoyed with them riles them up, and they won’t listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

'Does be'?

Anyway, sounds like someone with issues. If it's that bad you could have a word with the gardai.

grammar nazis stand over there please

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

those led car dipped car lights can be very hard on the eyes especially if you cycling/walking against them, nevermind full beam. Same for cyclists, there is a percentage that have no regard for blinding people going the other direction, it's all about themselves and how far ahead they can see. I usually block the beam with my hand so they'll see i'm half blinded and they can push down the light a bit on the road or usually not afterwards. very annoying. Cars mostly forget to dim and usually dim once they see u . It's always the small percentage that make it a pain for the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

Extra bright or flashing strobe lights are the worst. I feel the OP's pain, I hate it on my Grand Canal commute. Its actually more dangerous to be blinding other cyclists and cars with your unnecessary blinders on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....He has lights correctly on the bike no issues ...

....My biggest issue is the light fitted on the right lower down which is a fast flashing strobe which is white,
    If he has a white light to the rear, he doesn't have lights correctly on the bike (regardless of the other lights being in the correct place).
    Yeah I've gone nuts at bus drivers along where the Fairview Grill is. Just because there's a broken white cycle lane doesn't mean you can pass me with milimeters to spare....
    I think you've missed the point. He referring to situations where the bus is ahead of a cyclist and therefore 'in control' of the bus lane but you'll have dickheads on bikes riding up the narrow inside banging the door and pointing to the 'bike lane' which is shared with the bus lane (i.e. broken white line). I used to drive a bus occasionally and have experienced this.

Yourmama wrote: »
    It's quite, not quiet :-) sorry, I had to say this, no offence.

Post reported for not menitoning anything bicylce related!

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Jonesy101 wrote: »
    Extra bright or flashing strobe lights are the worst. I feel the OP's pain, I hate it on my Grand Canal commute. Its actually more dangerous to be blinding other cyclists and cars with your unnecessary blinders on.
    They are, but with no clear standard (like Germany has) people are left to guess whether their dispersal patterns are appropriate. And I again come back to the messaging to vru.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I don't want to be involved and leave these nuts off, wide berth, I hang back and leave thenm off

Wow, that's the dream result right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

Macy0161 wrote: »
    They are, but with no clear standard (like Germany has) people are left to guess whether their dispersal patterns are appropriate. And I again come back to the messaging to vru.

you make it sound like germany has it sorted when it comes to lights. Not a chance. blinded all the time by cyclists with lights on their heads , on handle bars or just not point down far enough. They don't give a damm. all the laws in the world are fine as long as people are considerate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PreCocious

It's kinda quaint all the same and distracts from the message. A bit like when some people say 'yee' instead of 'you'.

I use "ye" a lot, both written and orally.

This issue about lights is interesting.

Use of lights is generally poor here. The use of front fog lamps in clear conditions is rampant. One-eyed-Joes are extremely common as are the lads with blue or pink tints. Of couse we also have tractors which seem unable to understand that white lights shine in the direction of travel.

For bikes the range goes from ones that are almost invisible to those that are almost portable lighthouses. I'm not a fan of flashing front lights as I find it is difficult to calculate distance especially if they dazzle so much that you cannot see the bike.

In so many cases it all comes down to poor adjustment and so many of the problem lights are due to vehicles/bikes using the equivalent of high rather than dipped beams.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

you make it sound like germany has it sorted when it comes to lights. Not a chance. blinded all the time by cyclists with lights on their heads , on handle bars or just not point down far enough. They don't give a damm. all the laws in the world are fine as long as people are considerate
    They have a standard for cycling lights. Enforcement will still be about enforcement (same as every other road traffic law). No LED light would comply with the 1963 legislation we still have in place here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Fann Linn wrote: »
    It wasn't me but I might do it. I went out for a spin on Sunday midday. Flashing r&w lamps, hiviz vest, yes I know, orange bike and still a motorist pulled up along side me and said, ' you shouldn't be on the road, I couldn't see you with the low sun! '

For some people they just shouldn't be driving. And yes I am a motorist also, I drive for my living.

Where they wearing sunglasses ? It’s shocking how many drivers don’t wear the correct safety equipment.

PreCocious wrote: »
    .... Of couse we also have tractors which seem unable to understand that white lights shine in the direction of travel...
    Direction of travel when on a public road. The rear white lights are there for ploughing and other rear work at night but, unfortunately, many tractor drivers seem to go with the theory that more light is better when on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Same again and you could set your watch to him, passed same places exactly same time, he makes up time by not adhering to red lights or pedestrians crossing on their green.

Blinding white light, if that was red, wouldn't have as much of an issue but it's super bright and not a small light either...

Bigger then a car fog light, so it's not just a tiny light.

Same again and you could set your watch to him, passed same places exactly same time, he makes up time by not adhering to red lights or pedestrians crossing on their green.

Blinding white light, if that was red, wouldn't have as much of an issue but it's super bright and not a small light either...

I will report it to the collective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Haraldkare

Was his tabbard ill-fitting?

Haraldkare wrote: »
    Was his tabbard ill-fitting?

Think it's orange not the usual yellow.....

Can't see right with the light, couldn't even tell you what he looks like even after having him at the window screaming abuse a while back...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I’ve already apologised on behalf of all cyclists....not sure what else we can do! :)

That the matrix?

Always unsure whether to take the red or blue pill...

• Advertisement

That the matrix?

Always unsure whether to take the red or blue pill...

I’ll report it there too, just to be safe.

Btw, take the blue pill. It has been substituted with a chill pill and should help you getting stressed about that guy on a bike.

I’ll report it there too, just to be safe.

Btw, take the blue pill. It has been substituted with a chill pill and should help you getting stressed about that guy on a bike.

How is it stress, but to be honest it would be one less worry and stress on ones eyes.

His rear flashing white strobe is a distraction to anyone behind him.

Do you honestly think that's safe.
    Do you think maybe he could have some more respect for others and himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

How is it stress, but to be honest it would be one less worry and stress on ones eyes.

His rear flashing white strobe is a distraction to anyone behind him.

Do you honestly think that's safe.
    Do you think maybe he could have some more respect for others and himself.

Maybe I missed it, but has anyone disagreed with you that a rear-facing white light is a stupid idea?

You've described him as having very poor adherence to road traffic law in breaking lights. I don't think many here will condone that.

You've described him as cycling erratically; the nature of this is unclear, but you've described your own response as being ideal in that you've given him a wide berth and only passing when it is safe. Well done you.

You've described him as being aggressive and confrontational. Again, nobody has argued that this is acceptable.

But at a basic level: he is illuminating his bike and perhaps cycling in the centre of the lane as a defensive measure to ensure he minimises the risk of a collision. He may be aggressive and confrontational, but a reading of this in conjunction with the above is that maybe he's had a few incidents that have caused him to be like this. I'm not for a second condoning it, but it does become understandable, no? And if you understand the basis for his actions, perhaps it doesn't warrant so much time on an internet board?

You are responding perfectly by giving him more space, so no criticism to you at all, you are driving like the professional you are. Thank you for operating your massive vehicle safely and respectfully. I am sorry that you have to face sh*theads in the public, they do exist out there.

Maybe I missed it, but has anyone disagreed with you that a rear-facing white light is a stupid idea?

You've described him as having very poor adherence to road traffic law in breaking lights. I don't think many here will condone that.

You've described him as cycling erratically; the nature of this is unclear, but you've described your own response as being ideal in that you've given him a wide berth and only passing when it is safe. Well done you.

You've described him as being aggressive and confrontational. Again, nobody has argued that this is acceptable.

But at a basic level: he is illuminating his bike and perhaps cycling in the centre of the lane as a defensive measure to ensure he minimises the risk of a collision. He may be aggressive and confrontational, but a reading of this in conjunction with the above is that maybe he's had a few incidents that have caused him to be like this. I'm not for a second condoning it, but it does become understandable, no? And if you understand the basis for his actions, perhaps it doesn't warrant so much time on an internet board?

You are responding perfectly by giving him more space, so no criticism to you at all, you are driving like the professional you are. Thank you for operating your massive vehicle safely and respectfully. I am sorry that you have to face sh*theads in the public, they do exist out there.

No issues at all with cyclists taking a lane, I don't expect them to stick to the kerb but in some instances the road has been very were surfaced and now poles fitted but many will go outside of these new measures now making it impossible to proceed.

As I cycle myself I like to feel I can be as safe as possible to all the others too.

On the point is it warranted to speak about I think so as it may highlight for others what can be in their mind be a great idea to then actually get feedback and then understand the issue it's causing.

I'd also like to bring up the huge amount that don't bother with lights at all, in the weather we have at the moment I'm actually very surprised more aren't hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yeah those plastic sticks on Annesley bridge can go f*ck themselves because it gives buses the green light to pass you with millimetres to spare. I feel safer taking the bus lane.
    I guess you've started threads in the motoring forum about all the cars you see doing crazy sh*t every day, that actually might hurt someone? Bikes are harmless, I'm sure you know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

...he makes up time by not adhering to red lights or pedestrians crossing on their green...
    ....having him at the window screaming abuse a while back...
    ...in some instances the road has been very were surfaced and now poles fitted but many will go outside of these new measures now making it impossible to proceed...
    ..I'd also like to bring up the huge amount that don't bother with lights at all...
    ...He is an aggressive individual and goes out of his way to put himself in harm's way with buses...
    ...Oh by the way I'm not moving as I'd be stuck in traffic...
    ...As I cycle myself...

Go on...admit it, it's not *really* about the strobe light at all is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Like even though cars block up every bus lane, bus drivers still hate cyclists the most for some reason.

....I would love for some other cyclists to actually tell him to cop on ...
    I'm not really sure what you expect us to do. We aren't out to police public roads. I regularly see Dublin Bus drivers breaking red lights (often several seconds after they have turned red) but I don't feel the need to start a thread over in Commuting & Transport hoping other bus drivers will tell them to 'cop on'.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭PhantomHat

'Blinded by the light, revved up like a deuce
    Another runner in the night'

Song now stuck in my head.

• Advertisement

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Go on...admit it, it's not *really* about the strobe light at all is it.

What's it about then.

This is a talk or chat forum.....

Obviously people like yourself don't like been talked about?

I don't see any issues with discussion, o don't come onto your threads and put you down.....

Advertisement