Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Di2 Upgrade Rim Brake

Options
  • 06-01-2021 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi
    Would anyone have the rough cost of upgrading 2019 giant propel rim brake to Di2 r8050? Im thinking of getting a good bike shop to do the work and what shops would you recommend in Cork?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

You are looking at not far off 1000€ for parts (and that is based on a quick look at online prices so not sure about shop prices - 280 for shifters, 400+ for FD & RD, 80 for a junction box, 100 for a battery and the rest for the cables you'd need). You see rim braked Di2 bikes on sale from time to time so I'm not certain how worthwhile it would be

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Corkgolfer

Thanks for the quick reply, a deal on a good second hand bike might be a better option so because it should have better wheels than mine as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I did it a couple of years ago, was in around 1k including a chain and cassette. As for doing the work, fitting Di2 is simple in comparison to cable if you're any way handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

I did this back in Sep 2020. I didn't want the hassle/don't have the room for another bike and was really happy with the frame I had.

At the time I watched a fair few ebay UK auctions. Brexit has put a hole in that approach maybe but the following sold prices might help you. With the UK B2W scheme allowing for groupset purchases there are a lot more people offloading groupsets in very good condition.

Dura Ace Di2

9070 Di2
    £776 - Everything bar the pads, good condition
    £835 - mint but no calipers, cassette or BB
    £905 - absolute mint but no cassette or BB, but extras like wifi unit

9150 Di2
    £1000 - Only 1500 miles, complete groupset incl cassette & chain.

Ultegra 8050 Di2
    Usually about £800

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Corkgolfer

Thanks for the heads up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Merlin have the Ultegra R8050 gear kit (shifters, derailleur, battery, charger, cables) for €1085

Have a look on ebay what you might get selling off the shifters and derailleurs, you might get ~€200 for the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Am in the process of this myself. Picked up a new Noah fast frameset on the cheap from Merlin and have been trying to kit it out with Di2.

I managed to pick up 8050 shifters for €150 from Wiggle early December and have an excel file with all prices across about 7/8 suppliers but Brexit has affected it a lot now as mist were UK based or stopped delivering to Ireland temporarily. Bike-discount have the exact page I need but havent had stock since i started tracking late November! https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/shimano-ultegra-di2-r8050-electric-kit-2-port-internal-ss-variant-688413

Any combo of different shops for the cheapest options seem to be working out around 900-1100 (exclude shifters, crankset & BB as i dont need these)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

I know you said 8050 but there’s a full new 6870 set on adverts for 950. Includes brakes, Chainset & chain. Have dealt with seller previously and he’s very reliable. You could potentially sell off unneeded parts and reduce overall cost.

http://www.adverts.ie/15234594

There's no huge difference between 6870 and 8050 imo. I've had both, I only went to 8050 because the cost to change was buttons when I was rebuilding a new frame

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I upgraded my bike last year from 6800 to R8050. I bought the full groupset on Bike24 in the Black Friday sales for approx. €940 delivered. It included brake inners and outers and the Di2 tool and little ties to keep the Di2 wires from rattling in the frame. The only thing I didn't have was the Di2 grommet kit for my bike and so got it from Specialized in Dublin.

I built the bike up myself and set it all up, which is very easy to do. I sold the full 6800 groupset for €300 and so the upgrade cost me around €650 in total...well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Time to go Campag! Seller is well known and trusted round these parts....

https://www.adverts.ie/22572883

A friend has Super Record EPS and said his next will be Sram or Shimano. Brilliant but delicate is how he describes it and when it goes wrong its always stupid money to fix.

He talked me out of going campag last summer

Advertisement