Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automated gate not opening with frost

Options
  • 06-01-2021 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

One gate is opening fully but the other gate opens half way and stops. This only happens when there is bad frost out, can anyone advise please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Cal04 wrote: »
    One gate is opening fully but the other gate opens half way and stops. This only happens when there is bad frost out, can anyone advise please

Ok I have come across this previously in frosty weather, do you have underground motors ?

Sometimes water can accumulate in underground foundation boxes and then it can freeze over, the motor moves and during its movement it hits the ice and the motor stops moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Cal04

Yes they are underground
    They were fine today when it thawed out.

Cal04 wrote: »
    Yes they are underground
    They were fine today when it thawed out.

Your best bet is, when you get a chance during daylight hours is to open the gates and block your photocells so the gates stay open.

Then take off the covers of the motors, take a look and see if there is much debris in the foundation box itself and especially a build up of rain water.

Your best bet then is to get on a pair of gloves and remove all the muck, rotten leaves and God knows what else is in there.

That should then hopefully clear any obstructions from your drainage ducts which are at the bottom sides of the foundation boxes.

At least if drainage can occur then hopefully this will prevent frost from forming.

Just please make sure that those gate motors do not and cannot move while your hands are in those foundation boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Cal04

Thank you. Will get that done

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

kub wrote: »

Just please make sure that those gate motors do not and cannot move while your hands are in those foundation boxes.

To be 100%, I wouldn't rely on something blocking the sensors to keep the gates from moving. I'd cut the power at the distribution board. Only way to be fully safe.

• Advertisement

highdef wrote: »
    To be 100%, I wouldn't rely on something blocking the sensors to keep the gates from moving. I'd cut the power at the distribution board. Only way to be fully safe.

Yes, agreed.

Thank you ;)

Advertisement