Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home safety

Options
  • 06-01-2021 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

Hi folks apologies if I'm in the wrong place. MMy mmother hhas tturned 886 and is considering a personal safety alarm (like the one with the red button) only thing is she has no landline there was one connected years ago but she was so handy with the mobile it was disconnected due to costs. Question is are there any alarms/alternative that would work without the landline?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭893bet

I believe there are mobile phones available that has a SOS on the back/side. My dads phone had it before but we disabled it as it was getting pressed in error in his pocket as he was out and very active.

Press the button and it sends a text to what ever number you specifiy. Might be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

893bet wrote: »
    I believe there are mobile phones available that has a SOS on the back/side. My dads phone had it before but we disabled it as it was getting pressed in error in his pocket as he was out and very active.

Press the button and it sends a text to what ever number you specifiy. Might be an option?

Thanks but she's fine with the mobile usage, texting etc. But she sometimes leaves in in another room or upstairs and would feel safer with something on her wrist or around her neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Just be aware of the type you get.
    A friend had a watch one. She had a stroke, fell on the arm with the watch and couldn't reach the button.
    Was on the floor all night until found by home help next day. HH had just left for the evening it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭893bet

Comerman wrote: »
    Thanks but she's fine with the mobile usage, texting etc. But she sometimes leaves in in another room or upstairs and would feel safer with something on her wrist or around her neck.

Put the phone in a holder around the neck? In an emergency it’s a one button press to send SOS then to alert multiple people that there is an issue.

She may not be able to text or use phone in a genuine emergency. Having it around the neck with stop her leaving in a different room.

Other wise you need to get in broadband through phone line or mobile broadband

Advertisement