Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accused of Trolling

Options
  • 06-01-2021 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭

Hello,
    I have received a yellow card for Trolling.
    Bowie wrote: »
    Even a (Black &) Tanaiste making comments...

The charge is trolling to try get a rise out of FG supporters.
    In a social and fun current affairs politics thread no less.

We have Charlie Flanagan called Charlie Tanagan for several months. We have anyone associated with SF called 'scum' and 'not normal'. We have had public figures from SF called racist and homophobic with no back up. We had one poster say Paddy Cosgrave should be '****ing buried'. We have had the SD's called 'Labour for slow learners' on a number of occasions.

Referring to Varadkar, a public figure, as the (black &) Tanaiste is funny not trolling IMHO. The man backed a RIC/Tan commemoration.
    I would appreciate if you would review the yellow.
    I have been speaking with the Mod and he suggests our idea of humour differs, which is fine however unless Boards is going to radically change the moderation and tone of the platform, my comment should not be considered trolling IMHO.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Hi Bowie,

I can look into this for you. Please either forward your PM exchange with the mod to me or post it here.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Just forwarded it to you in two mails.
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You did.

Bear with me please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Hi Bowie,

I've looked into this for you and I'm going to have to uphold it. I completely agree with the moderator that this can only be an attempt to goad FG supporters. Looking at the rest of the post, the tone is clearly antagonistic but it's the black and tan comment which constitutes trolling IMO and is definitely actionable.

Let me know if you'd like to escalate to an admin review.

Thanks.

Yes. I would like to bring it to an admin.
    It was relating to the actions of a public figure and a lot less than is posted on a daily basis.
    It is difficult to navigate forums when the moderation is so uneven. We've been calling Charlie Flanagan, Charlie Tanagan for several months with no cards metered out. How is this any different?
    We've had years of similar and more caustic banter regarding all politicians in all parties, (Brian 'Biffo' Cowen etc., claims of others defending rape, racism, homophobia, engaging in criminality) so I'd like clarification for ongoing posting.

On MLMD, 'meat puppet on a stick.'
    On Brid Smith not thinking like 'normal people'.
    'The SD's are Labour for slow learners'. No issues.
    'SF supporters are not normal people'. No issues.
    These are comments directly aimed at members of the public, not public figures. Would they be considered 'goading'?
    Even a post stating 'Paddy Cosgrave should be ****ing buried' was deleted but no action seems to have been taken with the poster continuing unhindered.

I used word play to associate the now tanaiste to the Black and Tan/RIC commemoration he supported. This is factual. Is it the play on words, "(Black &) Tanaiste"? If I posted 'the tanaiste who supported a commemoration for the RIC/Tans' would that be okay? I'm straining to see where I over stepped.
    So yes, please bring to an admin.

• Advertisement

I'll flag this now.

Thanks.

Here's a recent one:
    O'Neill is some dope but thats what you get when leadership figures are nothing more than puppets

So using word play to connect Vardkar to the Black and Tan/RIC commemoration isn't okay but the above seems to be. It's really very difficult to see the line here. I don't see anything wrong with the above by the way. It's common enough stuff.

This thread is solely for the purpose of addressing the warning referenced in the thread title. You should have reported that post. Moderators do not approve every single post on a thread.

Please wait for an admin to review this thread.

I was trying to show how my charge of trolling compares to the daily postings.
    I'll wait thanks.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Claiming it's funny is fine for non FG supporters, but is trolling FG supporters. I've nothing more to add to the CMod comments

Yellow card upheld

Marking resolved

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Claiming it's funny is fine for non FG supporters, but is trolling FG supporters. I've nothing more to add to the CMod comments

Yellow card upheld

Marking resolved

I agree being funny doesn't excuse a comments content.

So any remark, factual remark, about a politician, that upsets their supporters, is trolling?
    Where does this leave calling politicians; dopes, meat puppets, racist, homophobic, slow, autistic, not normal and the like? Will they be reprimanded going forward? These are slurs. I made reference to a fact.
    I think this needs to be clarified.

Is it my linking Leo Varadkar to his support for the Black and Tan/RIC commemoration or how I linked it by using (Black &) Tanaiste?
    If these things aren't explained they are bound to come up time and again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement