Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Save my Yucca

Options
  • 06-01-2021 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I have had this Yucca about a year and its not doing very well to put it mildly. It was fine for the first 6 months or so but then started to look unhealthy so I asked at my local garden center and they said probably too much water and all it needs is a glass of water once a week or so. I did this and things only got worse, so I went back to my regular watering for the last few weeks. There is good growth but the new leaves dry out and die quickly.
    Theres also this guy (pic 4)whos name escapes me in trouble. I also have a Monserta and palms which are doing fine

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

I found this general guide to looking after a Yucca plant indoors here. It does say to let the soil dry out in between watering which I think is essential for most house plants to stay healthy and also mentions to water sporadically in winter. It's a desert plant in its natural setting. It might be just a bit cold for it to be thriving at the moment but if you look at the link it may give some idea of other possibilities. It may benefit from re-potting into a slightly bigger container with a well draining soil mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 greenhorn22

macraignil wrote: »
    I found this general guide to looking after a Yucca plant indoors here. It does say to let the soil dry out in between watering which I think is essential for most house plants to stay healthy and also mentions to water sporadically in winter. It's a desert plant in its natural setting. It might be just a bit cold for it to be thriving at the moment but if you look at the link it may give some idea of other possibilities. It may benefit from re-potting into a slightly bigger container with a well draining soil mix.

Tks for that. I did the re-potting adding rocks to the bottom to aid drainage. It could be over watering alright according to that guide.
    Apparently its a hard plant to kill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Theres also this guy (pic 4)whos name escapes me in trouble.
    Maranta or Calathea.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 greenhorn22

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    Maranta or Calathea.

Calathea

Advertisement