Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2021 - Your Restrictions Q&A Megathread

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

Mimon wrote: »
    Sorry but essential :rolleyes:

I haven't had a freezer in 12 years and have survived. In fact I'm probably a stone heavier than 12 years ago :)

YOU haven't had a freezer in 12 years. Meanwhile in the real world, a freezer is a fair essential item... :rolleyes: yourself ...

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

Mimon wrote: »
    Sorry but essential :rolleyes:

I haven't had a freezer in 12 years and have survived. In fact I'm probably a stone heavier than 12 years ago :)

Perhaps if you'd had a freezer you could have frozen those extra portions of the dinner instead of eating them...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭phormium

Well to me a freezer is totally essential, I have two and it means I can go the best part of a month between grocery shops, that is saving how many visits and interactions in shops so much safer from my point of view.

I bought something from Currys lately, now they had a special offer of free delivery as otherwise I would definitely have gone and collected it, 25 euro delivery cost would buy me nice bit of food so not wasting it on delivery. Guy that dropped it brought it into house (he was masked) and offered to unwrap and take away packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

So it's been over a year since I've had a KFC. We locked down hard (January 2020).

The KFC is 8KM away from where I live. Can I or can I not get a drive-thru?

I genuinely don't know.

• Advertisement

So it's been over a year since I've had a KFC. We locked down hard (January 2020).

I genuinely don't know.

It's quite obvious to me that paying a 500 euros fine is well worth it, either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,248 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's food shopping so yes you can.
    You should not travel unless it is:

For food shopping
    To travel to and from essential work
    To attend medical appointments and get medical supplies
    For vital family reasons such as providing care
    To attend disability day services
    To attend a wedding or funeral
    To visit a grave
    For farming

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/covid19/living_with_covid19_plan.html#l05988

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I genuinely don't know.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/066ce-ireland-placed-on-full-level-5-restrictions-of-the-plan-for-living-with-covid-19/

“people will be required to stay at home except for travel for work, education or other essential purposes, and will be permitted to take exercise within 5km of home”

Depends on whether your take-away is essential travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,347 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I genuinely don't know.

Its 8km by road but the rules relate to a radius from your home. It might well be within 5km.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

mickdw wrote: »
    Its 8km by road but the rules relate to a radius from your home. It might well be within 5km.

Good point, I didn't know this either. Hopefully it does come in at under 5km radius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

mickdw wrote: »

You may be a legend. It's just under 5k using this:

https://www.maps.ie/distance-area-calculator.html

So by road it was 8k but its slightly under 5k by radius. Can anyone else confirm that this is allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Minier81

A bunch of jokers got fined for travelling from the midlands to donnybrook for takeaway burgers so beware. In all fairness 8km doesn't sound ridiculous for food though,and as you said might not be that far as the crow flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

So by road it was 8k but its slightly under 5k by radius. Can anyone else confirm that this is allowed?

Pretty sure it's 'as the crow flies'.

Dublin Live and other places were saying it was earlier in 2020 and you could use a handy map - https://2kmfromhome.com/5km/

Go get that bucket meal Colonel.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Minier81

Definitely allowed 5km as the crow flies. Bon appetite.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Handy site here.

https://2kmfromhome.com/5km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

This lockdown has been the toughest so it's the little things that count.

Extra santiser,face mask & no loitering and away you go...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/people-can-travel-more-than-5km-to-collect-takeaway-food-says-minister-for-justice-1.4459370?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

if theres a kfc then theres a tescos, dunnes, aldi etc near by. go buy some shopping and get the kfc on the way home

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭dubrov

It all comes down to how bad you've got the munchies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

5km (as crow flies) is for exercise. Any other time outside the home is for essential reasons only which includes buying food hence why takeaways are still open. Go get your KFC you'll be grand its very near you. (Obvs driving from Midlands to Dublin exceeds spirit of law and is taken the piss, prob most likely up to something else as well)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭sporina

Just a quick one - why are Elite Sports allowed to continue?
    I know its probably all about money but how are the government justifying it? On what grounds is it ok for them to continue when others are not etc?

Threads merged

sporina wrote: »
    Just a quick one - why are Elite Sports allowed to continue?
    I know its probably all about money but how are the government justifying it? On what grounds is it ok for them to continue when others are not etc?

They have been allowed since the first lockdown ended. The argument is it allows people to watch sport online or on TV, giving those in lockdown something of interest to view. It's only allowed behind "closed doors"

Beasty wrote: »
    They have been allowed since the first lockdown ended. The argument is it allows people to watch sport online or on TV, giving those in lockdown something of interest to view. It's only allowed behind "closed doors"

closed doors?

closed doors?

No spectators allowed. Stadiums empty of fans. Horse Racing allowing no punters on the course. People can only "spectate" via live streaming/TV recording etc.

I helped out at national Cycling championships last summer. We allowed no spectators - only people helping put on the events, participants plus one person to help them out. In that case it was behind "closed gates" at the national velodrome in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Someone asking me is it legal for their employer to bring them 20km to do a manual handling course as their certs have expired. Is that essential travel for work?
    Mixing employees from more than one location when they cant spend any time with their own workmates.

Beasty wrote: »
    No spectators allowed. Stadiums empty of fans. Horse Racing allowing no punters on the course. People can only "spectate" via live streaming/TV recording etc.

I helped out at national Cycling championships last summer. We allowed no spectators - only people helping put on the events, participants plus one person to help them out. In that case it was behind "closed gates" at the national velodrome in Dublin.

yes I get that but aren't the players at risk and their families etc and anyone else they encounter ie managers, hotel staff if they are staying away etc.. ?

i still don't get why they are exempt from restrictions..

so many players have contracted the virus..
    they are allowed fly to games etc?
    not essential in my eyes..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

yes I get that but aren't the players at risk and their families etc and anyone else they encounter ie managers, hotel staff if they are staying away etc.. ?

i still don't get why they are exempt from restrictions..

so many players have contracted the virus..
    they are allowed fly to games etc?
    not essential in my eyes..

Neither are any of the TV Programmes on at the moment, Late Late, Tommy Tiernan.

I dont really disagree with you, if a group of mates cannot play football outside, then why can a group of elite athletes. Why are teams socially distancing for anthems and then spending 80 minutes in scrums?

All the same I am glad sports are on as its on of the things to do/watch at the moment.

Neither are any of the TV Programmes on at the moment, Late Late, Tommy Tiernan.

I dont really disagree with you, if a group of mates cannot play football outside, then why can a group of elite athletes. Why are teams socially distancing for anthems and then spending 80 minutes in scrums?

All the same I am glad sports are on as its on of the things to do/watch at the moment.

social distancing seems to be maintained pretty well on TV as far as I can see.. and I don't think guests are flying to attend the shows.. at least they are not up one another's backsides like they are in Rugby.. just doesn't make sense to me... not sure how its justified..

a mate of mine was attending a group for mental health support pre covid - none of it happening now due to the restrictions.. she's really feeling it.. I can see the logic there but then these sports are allowed continue.. the mind boggles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭dubrov

I think you answered your own question there

Advertisement