Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2021 - Your Restrictions Q&A Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's food shopping so yes you can.

You should not travel unless it is:

For food shopping
    To travel to and from essential work
    To attend medical appointments and get medical supplies
    For vital family reasons such as providing care
    To attend disability day services
    To attend a wedding or funeral
    To visit a grave
    For farming

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/covid19/living_with_covid19_plan.html#l05988

similar from Gov.ie
    • travel to and from work, where work involves providing an essential service
    • teachers, SNAs and other school staff will be allowed to travel to school to facilitate distance learning
    • to attend medical appointments and collect medicines and other health products
    • travel to attend disability day services
    • travel to attend a court
    • for vital family reasons, such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people, and in particular for those who live alone, but excluding social family visits
    • for food shopping
    • for farming purposes (food production or care of animals)
    • to attend a wedding or funeral
    • to visit a grave

this is what's confusing for me. I need to get some materials from B&Q but according to that, shouldn't travel to get them as it isn't food shopping.

In which case, why is B&Q (or any hardware store) allowed to be open?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

similar from Gov.ie
    • teachers, SNAs and other school staff will be allowed to travel to school to facilitate distance learning
    • to attend medical appointments and collect medicines and other health products
    • for vital family reasons, such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people, and in particular for those who live alone, but excluding social family visits
    • for food shopping
    • to visit a grave

this is what's confusing for me. I need to get some materials from B&Q but according to that, shouldn't travel to get them as it isn't food shopping.

I assume its because they are needed for work supplies (maybe farming?) etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 DocR

I am considering getting a job done in the house (bathroom renovation) - both plumber and tiler are willing to go ahead if I am. Would you risk it? is there a chance I could be reported and, if so, would there be a fine?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 29,286 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

similar from Gov.ie
    • for food shopping
    • to visit a grave

The gov.ie information is incomplete. It is not just for food shopping, it is whether it is defined as an essential retail outlet.

The actual SI uses language like:
    Go to an essential retail outlet for the purpose of obtaining items (including food, beverages, fuel, medicinal products, medical
    devices or appliances, other medical or health supplies or products, essential items for the health and welfare of animals, or supplies for the essential upkeep and functioning of the person’s place of residence), or accessing services provided in the outlet, for the applicable person or any other person residing in the person’s place of residence.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2020/si/701/made/en/print

And this is the list of essential retail outlets:
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/60ecc-essential-retail-outlets-for-level-5/

e.g. Outlets selling products necessary for the essential upkeep and functioning of places of residence and businesses, whether on a retail or wholesale basis.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭notabogsnotion

I've been very unwell recently and desperately need home (I live in England).
    My mother said that if I did fly over, I'd have to spend 2 weeks in isolation in a hotel.
    Is that the law over there now? Where are these hotels? Do I have to pay the cost of stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

No, the hotels haven't been opened yet, and will only apply to Red List countries, or anyone without a neagtive PCR test.

So you can fly in with a -ve PCR test and self quarantine at home, if whoever you are staying with (your mum?) is happy with you staying there.

There are fines for non essential travel though -so get a doctors note or something to explain why you are travelling

Is the UK a red list country?
    I'm probably not well enough to travel at the moment, so maybe in a week or so.

Is the UK a red list country?
    I'm probably not well enough to travel at the moment, so maybe in a week or so.

No, South Africa, Brazil, Austria, UAE and 16 Sub-Saharan countries

Final question - is a negative PCR test something I'll have to pay for and get done at the airport? Or would a UK government negative test work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Final question - is a negative PCR test something I'll have to pay for and get done at the airport? Or would a UK government negative test work?

You need a negative result at most 3 days before flying. I presume any negative PCR will do? You can get it done at the airport, but you'll need to pay for it.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    You need a negative result at most 3 days before flying. I presume any negative PCR will do? You can get it done at the airport, but you'll need to pay for it.

Perfect, thank you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Do the UK government give you some sort of cert to say that you have a negative test result.

I'm aware of some travelling from the UK to South Africa in November whose UK NHS PCR was not accepted at the border as the result was a text message and there was no tracking details.

As far as I understand private companies issue you with a way of verifying your result which can be necessary at the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Perfect, thank you.

I don't think you can get it done at the airport and it can take up to 48 hours to get the results from a PRC test. Although should typically be less than 24.

People I know who have had to travel recently have gotten the test in boots in the UK

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

Can anyone let me know what the procedure is for someone who needs to travel the other way from Dublin to the UK too look after a child for about a week while the childs mother goes into hospital for an op surely thats deemed as essential, how do you find this out in advance? (asking on behalf of someone i know)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

matrim wrote: »
    I don't think you can get it done at the airport and it can take up to 48 hours to get the results from a PRC test. Although should typically be less than 24.

People I know who have had to travel recently have gotten the test in boots in the UK

https://www.dublinairport.com/covid-19/pre-departure-covid-19-testing

Sorry, it was the LAMP test I was thinking of.

More info in the link here.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

Can anyone let me know what the procedure is for someone who needs to travel the other way from Dublin to the UK too look after a child for about a week while the childs mother goes into hospital for an op surely thats deemed as essential, how do you find this out in advance? (asking on behalf of someone i know)

No issue with going to the UK - No self isolation required from travel within the common travel area.

Sounds like essential travel to me anyway

trixi001 wrote: »
    No issue with going to the UK - No self isolation required from travel within the common travel area.

Sounds like essential travel to me anyway

sorry what i meant was does the person just show up in the airport, you might have a bad copper who might not believe the person, they arent likely to have any sort of proof as they arent going for a medical procedure, its the childs mother.

sorry what i meant was does the person just show up in the airport, you might have a bad copper who might not believe the person, they arent likely to have any sort of proof as they arent going for a medical procedure, its the childs mother.

I would say shouldn't be a problem, if they really wanted to check just put on the phone too the childs mother - and if really necessary and you get a really twisted guard - she is bound to have proof of her appointment - so that can be shown..

Remember the guards can't actually stop you flying, all they can do is fine you if they don't believe you, and then you can fight the fine with the proof if necessary

• Advertisement

trixi001 wrote: »
    I would say shouldn't be a problem, if they really wanted to check just put on the phone too the childs mother - and if really necessary and you get a really twisted guard - she is bound to have proof of her appointment - so that can be shown..

Remember the guards can't actually stop you flying, all they can do is fine you if they don't believe you, and then you can fight the fine with the proof if necessary

cheers bloody insane having to go to thrse lengths, ludricious in fact, tragic times we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Thinking all caused by covid flyers wanting a holiday away and booking for a procedure and not turning up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Might be able to view online but no road testing of vehicle might be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭political analyst

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2021/0224/1199106-the-tommy-tiernan-show-extended-by-six-weeks/

Given that the current series of The Tommy Tiernan Show is being extended by 6 weeks, I'm puzzled as to how RTÉ is getting so many guests for it.

As far as I know, all guests on the show have appeared in the studio in person, as opposed to via Skype or Zoom.

I find it hard to believe that a guest who lives miles away from Donnybrook would be exempt from the 5 km travel restriction, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Outside of what they broadcast, is there any evidence that the staff and guests of RTE are behaving in a manner that suggests they are taking the virus seriously?

Outside of what they broadcast, is there any evidence that the staff and guests of RTE are behaving in a manner that suggests they are taking the virus seriously?

If you're referring to that farewell party for a colleague, that was an aberration. I'm referring to an ongoing TV series. If the 5 km rule has been breached by some of the guests then gardaí must be already aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭dobman88

Its something that annoyed me far more than I should have let it when I saw the GAA all stars having lads in studio, 2 from Limerick and 3 from Dublin, when they could all have accepted their award and had a quick interview via video. The young player of the year, Mullin from Mayo, accepted his award and gave an interview on video link and it worked perfectly. No reason the others couldn't have done the same.

Yeah its annoying, all the while they have STAY AT HOME in the corner of the screen. One rule for them, another for us regular plebs.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Its something that annoyed me far more than I should have let it when I saw the GAA all stars having lads in studio, 2 from Limerick and 3 from Dublin, when they could all have accepted their award and had a quick interview via video. The young player of the year, Mullin from Mayo, accepted his award and gave an interview on video link and it worked perfectly. No reason the others couldn't have done the same.

Yeah its annoying, all the while they have STAY AT HOME in the corner of the screen. One rule for them, another for us regular plebs.

Have you considered making a formal complaint to gardaí?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭dobman88

Have you considered making a formal complaint to gardaí?

No, its something I'd feel uncomfortable doing. It's annoying they do it while I've been following every restriction to the tee but I'm not going to start reporting people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2021/0224/1199106-the-tommy-tiernan-show-extended-by-six-weeks/

Given that the current series of The Tommy Tiernan Show is being extended by 6 weeks, I'm puzzled as to how RTÉ is getting so many guests for it.

As far as I know, all guests on the show have appeared in the studio in person, as opposed to via Skype or Zoom.

I find it hard to believe that a guest who lives miles away from Donnybrook would be exempt from the 5 km travel restriction, to be honest.

It looks to be covered under essential services according to the level 5 guidance. Under information and communications no. 9
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/c9158-essential-services/#information-and-communications

Advertisement