Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban Appeal Politics

Options
  • 06-01-2021 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

An Capall Dorcha has banned me from politics for the below post in response to another poster trying to argue semantics about the goings on at Capitol Hill today, which seems to be an attempt to wind posters up.

“ You’re still defending this ****e :rolleyes:

Deluded.”

Now I accept that the wording could have been a bit softer, but I’m at a loss to how that anything more than a warning (or even a warning for that matter) is warranted here?

Mod has refused to overturn.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Hi Fullstop,

I'll look into this. Can you please copy the correspondence you referenced with ancapailldorcha?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Hi Fullstop,

I'll look into this. Can you please copy the correspondence you referenced with ancapailldorcha?

Thanks Drav, is below format ok? I’m on mobile site so not sure how to post the whole exchange together.
    Dear fullstop,

You have been banned from Politics for one day for being uncivil.

Typically, this means that you are posting in a needlessly aggressive or confrontational manner being disruptive on the forum or causing stress for the other members. We don't want that here.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

ancapailldorcha
    Are you kidding me?

How on earth is that a bannable post? Even a warning would be too much, frankly.
    Hi,

You may appeal if you want but your post was clearly uncivil.

Upheld.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Hi Fullstop,

I've had a look over this.

It is quite clearly understood that we expect member's of boards to engage with each other on the merits of their posts without looking to personally discredit or attack them. It is considered to be the minimum standard and is taken rather seriously, when not respected no matter how slight the incident may appear to be.

I appreciate this incident itself has occurred within a rather excited course of discussion. But, we can't be warning everyone per incident in advance of taking an action.

I don't feel it would be appropriate to reduce the sanction applied here. While you may not have been warned in this particular instance prior to the sanction, it's a bit unfair to suggest you have not been warned for similar incidents previously. It was by intent for the minimum term available to select for this level of a sanction to be utilised to give some degree of weight to it.

Hi Fullstop,

I've had a look over this.

It is quite clearly understood that we expect member's of boards to engage with each other on the merits of their posts without looking to personally discredit or attack them. It is considered to be the minimum standard and is taken rather seriously, when not respected no matter how slight the incident may appear to be.

I appreciate this incident itself has occurred within a rather excited course of discussion. But, we can't be warning everyone per incident in advance of taking an action.

I don't feel it would be appropriate to reduce the sanction applied here. While you may not have been warned in this particular instance prior to the sanction, it's a bit unfair to suggest you have not been warned for similar incidents previously. It was by intent for the minimum term available to select for this level of a sanction to be utilised to give some degree of weight to it.

I don’t believe I’ve been warned in that forum previously, open to correction?

It’s a relatively slow moving forum, and it’s not that the thread was completely overrun with posts like the one in CA and decisive action had to be taken with no time to look at context, so a warning surely would suffice? There’s worse posted in there that’s not sanctioned.

Hi Fullstop,

Sorry for delay in response, haven't had much opportunity to be on over the last few days.

As well as advising you don't need to be warned per incident, you really shouldn't have to be warned per forum in advance of any action either.

I'm upholding the sanction. If you wish, you can ask for an admin review.

• Advertisement

Hi Fullstop,

Sorry for delay in response, haven't had much opportunity to be on over the last few days.

As well as advising you don't need to be warned per incident, you really shouldn't have to be warned per forum in advance of any action either.

I'm upholding the sanction. If you wish, you can ask for an admin review.

Yes please. Was only a 24hr ban, but would still like it reviewed. Thanks

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You called another poster "deluded"

That's abusive whatever the forum

The forum Charter states:
    "No personal abuse. NEVER attack a poster. Attack the content of their post. (You can tell someone that their opinion is based on incomplete or incorrect information, but do not call them an idiot.)"

Ban upheld

Advertisement