Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor to replace tv

Options
  • 06-01-2021 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭

We pay 160e per annum for a TV licence that we never use - main screen is 120" projector connected to htpc, TV in other room only used for Xbox and Chromecast.

Has anyone gone down the route of replacing a TV with a large monitor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

greasepalm wrote: »

Yes, that's all understood. At the moment we have a licenceas.wr have a TV connected to the Xbox, if like that to be replaced by s monitor so I don't need to pay anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Yep, doing this myself and I’d recommend it.

The main things to have in mind are:
    - you will struggle to find consumer monitors which are as large as the latest and largest TVs
    - usually monitors will cost a bit more than a similarly sized TV (but it should quickly be offset by savings on the licence)
    - they tend to have fewer HDMI inputs and in general more limited connectivity
    - they don’t always have built in audio, and when they do it usually isn’t as powerful as TV

But I don’t think any of these are showstoppers and if you do a bit of research you should find something for your needs (unless you are looking for very large ones).

Bob24 wrote: »
    Yep, doing this myself and I’d recommend it.

The main things to have in mind are:
    - you will struggle to find consumer monitors which are as large as the latest and largest TVs
    - usually monitors will cost a bit more than a similarly sized TV (but it should quickly be offset by savings on the licence)
    - they tend to have fewer HDMI inputs and in general more limited connectivity
    - they don’t always have built in audio, and when they do it usually isn’t as powerful as TV

But I don’t think any of these are showstoppers and if you do a bit of research you should find something for your needs (unless you are looking for very large ones).

Thanks for that, we'd be replacing a 47" so would want at least a 42" I'd say.
    Do monitors work with TV wall mounts?
    Hdmi slots not an issue, only need one.
    Audio not an issue either as have sound bar.
    Can I ask what you've gone for or have you got it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

So no cable/sat/saorview reception devices.I am fecked cable and sat heaven over here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Alkers wrote: »
    Thanks for that, we'd be replacing a 47" so would want at least a 42" I'd say.
    Do monitors work with TV wall mounts?
    Hdmi slots not an issue, only need one.
    Audio not an issue either as have sound bar.
    Can I ask what you've gone for or have you got it yet?

No worries.

I am using this 4K 43" Acer one, which I got for around 400 euros 2.5 years ago (so it has paid for itself already with the savings on the TV licence): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-ET430Kwmiiqppx-Monitor-White-Panel/dp/B0742RF3T7

I wouldn't mind if it was a bit larger, but otherwise it works great for me with 2 HDMI ports and auto-switching to the active device (and there is a line-out jack to send the sound to my external speaker - make sure you've got one if you go the monitor route).

It looks like it might now be discontinued though, but there must be newer (possibly larger) options. Most monitors work with VESA mounts, just double-check the specs before buying.

Turns out the oh has just renewed the licence so will probably park this for ten or eleven months!

Advertisement