Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Top Christmas Song of the 2000's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Just remembered how much I liked hearing this in the car on the drive home from work, cant believe I forgot this one.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I have highlighted (in Bold) the ones I would nominate as well - some I did already! While I still like the Coldplay and Darkness songs, I am going off them somewhat so I'm not nominating them!

I put angular brackets around Christina Perri's song because it is a cover, which is a shame because it's lovely. It was originally performed by the Carpenters and Christina sings very like Karen Carpenter. I believe I have heard both versions on Christmas FM in the past! Curiously, I have not head that song at all in the last few years.

I heard the original version The Carpenters this year, great song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

I put angular brackets around Christina Perri's song because it is a cover, which is a shame because it's lovely. It was originally performed by the Carpenters and Christina sings very like Karen Carpenter. I believe I have heard both versions on Christmas FM in the past! Curiously, I have not head that song at all in the last few years.

Never realised that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

DvB wrote: »
    Just remembered how much I liked hearing this in the car on the drive home from work, cant believe I forgot this one.

I would also like to nominate this one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Faith Hill - Where Are you Christmas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

I’m sure no one else will like this one but I always got a giggle out of proper crimbo from bo selecta, with the line so excited you might wee proper crimbo

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

I see there is no love for poor oul Mickey bubbles..

I love cold December Michael bublé.. I haven't worked out the posting of videos..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Mutleyboo wrote: »
    I see there is no love for poor oul Mickey bubbles..

I love cold December Michael bublé.. I haven't worked out the posting of videos..

That might be because most of his Christmas songs are old standards, or at least cover versions, which is forbidden in this contest!

That might be because most of his Christmas songs are old standards, or at least cover versions, which is forbidden in this contest!

Cold December Night is his song as far as I know so it counts

screamer wrote: »
    I’m sure no one else will like this one but I always got a giggle out of proper crimbo from bo selecta, with the line so excited you might wee proper crimbo

I do get a good laugh out of that song!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Couldn't narrow it down to my Top 5, but here they are in order from my No. 1 song to my No. 8 song. :)

Sia - Santa's Coming for us
    Status Quo - It's Christmas Time
    Kelly Clarkson - Underneath the Tree
    The Darkness - Christmas Time (Don't Let The Bells End)
    Leona Lewis - One More Sleep
    Train - Shake Up Christmas
    Coldplay - Christmas Lights
    Taylor Swift - Christmas Tree Farm

I'm going to let the nominations run until Monday morning, from here the lowest ranked unseeded songs will playoff to make up the last 32.

Then it's head to head knockout until we crown a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I do like the Status Quo one. Never thought I would like one of their songs!

dubstepper wrote: »
    I do like the Status Quo one. Never thought I would like one of their songs!

Yeah I really like it, i had no idea it was so recent I thought it was from the 80's!

Loughc wrote: »
    Yeah I really like it, i had no idea it was so recent I thought it was from the 80's!

When did they release it? Assumed it was old myself.

Edit.
    See it was 2008. Thought they'd long stopped by then.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    When did they release it? Assumed it was old myself.

Edit.
    See it was 2008. Thought they'd long stopped by then.

Status Quo are still on the go. They released an album as recently as 2019. Rick Parfitt retired during 2016 for health reasons. They played Dublin that year without Rick. He died on Christmas Eve that year.

Status Quo are still on the go. They released an album as recently as 2019. Rick Parfitt retired during 2016 for health reasons. They played Dublin that year without Rick. He died on Christmas Eve that year.

I suppose, alot of the older rock bands tour on, and release the odd album despite numerous line up changes (I've seen enough of them over the years) Quo would have a loyal enough base following to keep the show on the road. Fair play to them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I thought that Quo song was an oldie too, until I seen it on people's lists!

Yes, I remember Rick Parfitt died in 2016- the year of celebrity deaths. George Michael died the following day, and Carrie Fisher 2 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭matchthis

Christina perri- merry Christmas darling
    Gary Barlow - incredible Christmas
    Hudson Taylor - how I know it’s Christmas
    Gayla Peevey - all I want for Christmas is you
    The pogues- fairytale of New York

First 4 are new ones introduced to me by Christmas fm, thank god for the app

matchthis wrote: »
    Christina perri- merry Christmas darling - Cover verison of a Carpenters song!

Gary Barlow - incredible Christmas
    Hudson Taylor - how I know it’s Christmas

Gayla Peevey - all I want for Christmas is you - Think you mean: I want a Hippotamus for Christmas! From the 1950s!

The pogues- fairytale of New York - From the 1980s!

First 4 are new ones introduced to me by Christmas fm, thank god for the app

You do realize that three of the songs above do not qualify for this contest - originals from the 2000s! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

Status Quo - It's Christmas Time for me, with the Darkness a close second.

I thought Status Quo - It's Christmas Time was from yonks ago but only 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My nomination

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭matchthis

You do realize that three of the songs above do not qualify for this contest - originals from the 2000s! :)

Hudson Taylor it is:D

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭shane b

I like Something about December by Christina Perri and December song by George Michael.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OR2LXXIX8ro
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l-xzyD00_fI&list=LLiHHtnQ48RFAzLaDbgEt6mA&index=1149

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

The Darkness - Christmas Time (Don't Let the Bells End)
    Bob Dylan - Must Be Santa
    Ariana Grande - Santa Tell Me
    Coldplay - Christmas Lights.

Only four songs I've enjoyed from this century. Even at that the last two there I would never put on myself but would consider them decent radio songs. The top two for me are classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I’m gonna throw up my few tunes

1. Faith Hill : Where are you Christmas
    2. Britney Spears: My only wish this year
    3. Taylor Swift: Christmas tree farm
    4. Kelly Clarkson: Underneath the tree
    5. Sawyer Goodwin: Christmas Shoes :D
    6. Leona Lewis : One more sleep
    7. Lea Michelle: Christmas in New York

The Britney Spears one is a great shout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

One more sleep
    Something about December
    Santa tell me

Barely made it on this one but I’m not as up to speed on the 2000s ones so it’ll be fun!

Thank you all for your nominations, the nominations are now closed.

46 individual songs were nominated.

The top 24 seeded automatically advance into the last 32.

The remaining 22 playoff for the remaining 8 spots.

• Advertisement

The first playoff matchup is;

Jonas Brothers - Like it's Christmas

Foil, Arms & Hog - Honest Christmas Song

Vote for the song you want to keep. Play-offs are first to 4 votes or most votes after 24 hours, once a winner is decided we move onto the next matchup.

Advertisement