Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Top Christmas Song of the 2000's

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It's The Darkness for me too, for me it's similar to DvB it's the first NEW Christmas song that made me sit up and take notice and it became part of my Christmas playlist thereafter.

As it stands it's 5-1 to the Darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

It's a hard one. I agree that The Darkness is a better song but on the other hand I haven't heard it in years. It doesn't really get played that much in my opinion. The Status Quo one sounds like nearly any of their songs but is really catchy and I enjoy when it comes on....hmmmm.

Against what I thought I would vote, I'll go with The Darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

The darkness for me aswell as I like to sing along to it and I really don’t like The Quo’s song :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,358 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Status Quo - they are legends and this is catchy immediate christmas song, feels like you already heard it back in the 80s, mean that as a compliment.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

7-2 to the Darkness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Folie a deux

The Darkness for me..

It might be seen as a bit cheesy but it’s actually a really good song.. brings back good memories of Christmas gone by and love hearing it every year.. A song you have to sing along to!

And the Darkness is our second finalist!

It's TIME FOR THE MAIN EVENT!

It's;

Kelly Clarkson - Under The Tree

VS

The Darkness - Christmas Time (Don't let the bells end)

This time it's first to 9 or whoever is leading by 9pm and just like the Semi's no reason no vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Kelly Clarkson, I backed her early on to win it out! My favourite of the newer Christmas song, so upbeat, catchy and a real feel good track that you can't help but get up and move when you hear it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I can't choose!!! *runs and hides*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The Darkness. It is fun and tongue in cheek like a good Xmas song should be and it has some great guitar parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Kelly Clarkson, much better song, much better singer and looks better :D Great catchy tune too

• Registered Users Posts: 29,358 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Kelly Clarkson, it's up there with the classics in terms of sounds and vocals... some wonderful live performances of it, can see it being covered by other artists.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Folie a deux

Kelly Clarkson.

For me it really is the best modern song, and can see it becoming a Christmas classic in years to come. It is so catchy and upbeat and always gets me in the Christmas mood

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭DvB

The darkness.
    Reasons, exactly the same as the semi final. For me the Kelly Clarkson song is a run of the mill song and doesn't do enough to stand out in any real meaningful way for me, whilst the Darkness has all the qualities I like to see in a festive christmas song, it was a real breath of fresh air too when it was released, Kelly's one simply wasn't (for me might I add)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

It's 4-2 to Kelly, an early lead for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

The darkness, it's a fun song and reminds me of Christmases past wandering up grafton street after some happy waters with all the lights twinkling.

I'll go for The Darkness. Although it's so close between the two of them for me! :<

I remember it was the first great catchy Christmas song for quite a while, after a sea of Spice Girls, Westlife, Girls Aloud etc. And I remember being disgusted at it not getting the top spot that year!
    So it's getting my vote, because it holds more memories for me than Kelly.

Plus "Feigning joy and surprise at the gifts we despise" is a great line. :D

I don't mind who wins though, because they're both great songs. :)

Posy wrote: »

I don't mind who wins though, because they're both great songs. :)

When loughc started the tournament I'd said to myself one of these 2 or Taylor Swift will win it & no one else. And as much as the Kelly Clarkson one does nothing for me I do appreciate its a popular song enjoyed by many.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

The Darkness all the way for me, it's already a classic that has stood the test of time for 17 years now. Plus it 's actually a good catchy fun song.
    Not Sure if Kelly Clarkson's one will be played as much in 17 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I like both songs but Kelly Clarkson's is the better of the two because of it's feelgood factor, nice vocals and nice melodic hooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Kelly Clarkson.
    Its well sung,nice and bouncy and fills me with Christmas excitement.
    I love when its in Christmas films.I don't remember hearing the Darkness in any.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Kelly Clarkson. Clear winner for me. The Darkness is a good song but lacks that Christmas feel.

7-5 to Kelly now. The drama is real, people.

Posy wrote: »
    7-5 to Kelly now. The drama is real, people.

A good comeback by the Darkness had them briefing winning at one point as well.

First to 9 tho, anything can happen.

DvB wrote: »
    When loughc started the tournament I'd said to myself one of these 2 or Taylor Swift will win it & no one else. And as much as the Kelly Clarkson one does nothing for me I do appreciate its a popular song enjoyed by many.

The Darkness and Taylor Swift I expected to be up there, I was genuinely surprised by the popularity of Kelly Clarkson's song especially as it chartted so low in the charts.

I would have out Leona lewis ahead of her song in my own rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Loughc wrote: »
    The Darkness and Taylor Swift I expected to be up there, I was genuinely surprised by the popularity of Kelly Clarkson's song especially as it chartted so low in the charts.

Kelly Clarkson's song gets played a lot every year on those Christmas countdowns on the tv music channels, as does The Darkness, for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The Darkness played it live on the Christmas Bake-off final too.

I wouldn't have it in my top 10 in this competition never mind a christmas playlist, but that's the great thing about music, one persons favourite is another's pet hate & despite what some say there is no right & wrong to either opinion, its all relative. So despite me not really liking the song I fully appreciated it was going to be there at the business end of the tournament as its clearly popular.

• Advertisement

I would have out Leona Lewis ahead of her song in my own rankings.
    Me too, actually! I would have definitely thought she would have been in the final.

She must be gutted. :D

Advertisement