Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refusing insurance repair?

• 07-01-2021 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Salvadoor

My car was damaged in an accident (hit from behind) last week - the repair estimate is less that the value of the car and I'm concerned that the insurance company will get it repaired rather than write it off. I'd prefer the car was written off as I wouldn't feel comfortable driving a car that had damage to the back axle, suspension, wishbones, brakes etc regardless of having been repaired.

Am I able to refuse a repair and ask for the OMV of the car instead?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Would you be happier if you chose your own repairer, and knew they’d put the car right? You’re entitled to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭sumo12

How much less than the value of the car is the estimate? Usually if the estimate is 70% or more of the value of the car, they will deem it as uneconomical to repair and sell it for salvage. Depends on the insurance company of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Salvadoor wrote: »
    My car was damaged in an accident (hit from behind) last week - the repair estimate is less that the value of the car and I'm concerned that the insurance company will get it repaired rather than write it off. I'd prefer the car was written off as I wouldn't feel comfortable driving a car that had damage to the back axle, suspension, wishbones, brakes etc regardless of having been repaired.

The market value of your car car could be a lot less than you think. What is the age and model and how much is the quote for repair?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Salvadoor

endacl wrote: »
    Would you be happier if you chose your own repairer, and knew they’d put the car right? You’re entitled to do this.

No, regardless of repairer I'd still be uncomfortable to be honest

sumo12 wrote: »
    How much less than the value of the car is the estimate? Usually if the estimate is 70% or more of the value of the car, they will deem it as uneconomical to repair and sell it for salvage. Depends on the insurance company of course.

I calculate it pretty much bang on 70%, €12k repair v. €17k value

Del2005 wrote: »
    The market value of your car car could be a lot less than you think. What is the age and model and how much is the quote for repair?

I'm being realistic on the value of the car: have compared to whats on DD & Carzone for same year with similar miles and taking a few €k off for realism. It's a 162 A5 diesel with good spec but fairly high mileage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If the car is repairable to a high standard, that is your entitlement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,007 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If the car is repairable to a high standard, that is your entitlement.
    He/she doesn't want it repaired.

If you don't want it repaired and want it written off then insist that an Audi garage carry out the repairs, they will give the insurers an astronomical quote to fix it.

The assessor will refuse to pay Audi the money they want to fix it and will push you to take less money and get it fixed elsewhere, i.e. an independent garage.

Refuse to do that and they will write it off, simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No, regardless of repairer I'd still be uncomfortable to be honest

I'm being realistic on the value of the car: have compared to whats on DD & Carzone for same year with similar miles and taking a few €k off for realism. It's a 162 A5 diesel with good spec but fairly high mileage.

Roughly how fast was the impact? If it was high enough speed to cause the safety crumble zones to be affected the repairs should have been fairly steep.

Another thing to be aware of is that there is no requirement to get the car repaired. The insurance is to compensate you for the damage and you can sell the damaged car on.

He/she doesn't want it repaired.

That has nothing to do with the OP's entitlement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Why would the insurance pay you 17K for a write-off instead of paying to have the car repaired for 12k? They get to keep the car if it's written off and the scrap value can't be anywhere near 5K.

Couldn't they just hand you a cheque for 12K and let you decide your next step?

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    Why would the insurance pay you 17K for a write-off instead of paying to have the car repaired for 12k? They get to keep the car if it's written off and the scrap value can't be anywhere near 5K.

Couldn't they just hand you a cheque for 12K and let you decide your next step?

If the €12k repair estimate includes VAT and you want a cash settlement, you will be paid net

If the €12k repair estimate includes VAT and you want a cash settlement, you will be paid net

Fine. But to the question I asked.... why would they declare the OP's car a write off if that will involve a bigger payout than covering the repair estimate?

coylemj wrote: »
    Fine. But to the question I asked.... why would they declare the OP's car a write off if that will involve a bigger payout than covering the repair estimate?

As an example, if the pre-accident value of the car is €20k and the repair estimate is circa €15k, the insurer will contact a panel of vehicle salvagers to see what they can get for the damaged car in it's current condition. If they can get close to €5k, they will write it off.

As an example, if the pre-accident value of the car is €20k and the repair estimate is circa €15k, the insurer will contact a panel of vehicle salvagers to see what they can get for the damaged car in it's current condition. If they can get close to €5k, they will write it off.

But if the salvage value doesn't come close to bridging the gap, the car will be economic to repair. So they will offer to pay for the repair.

Which takes us back to the OP's question.....

If the insurance decision is to pay for the repair, can he refuse and insist on the OMV?

Which I answered in post 6

Advertisement