Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creches - Lockdown III

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

pc7 wrote: »
    Our creche has basically said if you wfh and can't with the kids there we are open send them in. :confused:

I think ours will be saying the same from everything they have said this week

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I think ours will be saying the same from everything they have said this week

I just don't know what to do, had kept them home this week due to numbers. They want an answer today if we are sending them back. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

quarryman wrote: »
    Heh? What about "essential workers only"?

I’d say the reality is the list of essential is so long and flexible that the amount of kids that wouldn’t be sent us quite small. The crèches may as well just take all and get the fees in.
    I really do wonder though why schools are closed for safety reasons but not crèches where the kids are less likely to adhering to rules.

pc7 wrote: »
    I just don't know what to do, had kept them home this week due to numbers. They want an answer today if we are sending them back. :(

I am the same, wife is a teacher and has been stressing all week about having them home, but I think the rota we have could work.

That said I trust our creche, and the people going to it to be pretty locked down for the next while - so the risk is small enough (or as large as going to the shop!)

That said sending them to creche likely will mean the grandparents will stay away - decisions decisions....

salmocab wrote: »
    I’d say the reality is the list of essential is so long and flexible that the amount of kids that wouldn’t be sent us quite small. The crèches may as well just take all and get the fees in.
    I really do wonder though why schools are closed for safety reasons but not crèches where the kids are less likely to adhering to rules.

Its incredibly unfair on creche workers (and creches themselves) - they have been treated really poorly through this.

On the essential workers, this should and is meant to be those who are on site during the course of the lockdown, we all know this. Feels like we are trying to get around it by looking at badly worded documents etc. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Its incredibly unfair on creche workers (and creches themselves) - they have been treated really poorly through this.

On the essential workers, this should and is meant to be those who are on site during the course of the lockdown, we all know this. Feels like we are trying to get around it by looking at badly worded documents etc. :D

To be fair last year after a bit of dicking about the staff of most places were looked after with full pay to stay at home. The state did right by them in the first lockdown but now it seems that a political decision has been made to keep them open, at best the risks are the same in a crèche and a school, really though a crèche has kids that can’t wipe their own noses or sit still even. Crèche staff are far more likely to catch anything from kids than a teacher is. Anything in the crèche is far more likely to spread than anything in a school.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭DublinCJM

quarryman wrote: »
    Heh? What about "essential workers only"?

They've now just sent another mail saying for essential workers only or vulnerable kids....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I just can't in good conscience send ours in, will hold them out for the month of January and see how thing look then for February. Will likely lose the fees but our health is more important at this stage and just feel its the right thing to do. We'll muddle through for the next 3 weeks with the hope February things look better.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

DublinCJM wrote: »
    They've now just sent another mail saying for essential workers only or vulnerable kids....

Yup ours too. It's probably the same creche 😊

We will be looking for clarification on fees as we use direct debit and had paid for January. If we're not able to use the service then we would look for fees being returned for the time we have not been able to use the service. I don't blame the creche. This has been really poor organization and guidance from the government for creches.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

ten past four on a Friday and the Government still havent communicated with creches how they should open next week or what if any funding will be available so its at a point now where the individual creches have to decide what they are going to do and how they are going to charge fees etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

We've also fully paid for January via DD and our creche have indicated that both parents must be essential workers AND working outside the home in order for them to accept a child. Zero in the same message re return of fees (LOL that's never happening) or using credit for next month instead. Hopefully there will be an update next week, otherwise will need to awkwardly but firmly press this issue. Either that or stay quiet, cancel the DD and still send our one in when February gets back to normal (fingers crossed).

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sphinxicus

Our creche contacted us yesterday asking for a people to state their case for a place for their child. "frontline" essential workers only. They are staying closed but based on demand for places for the children of these workers they are going to see what they can do to accomadate them.

They also said, for those who do not fall into this category and have already paid via standing order, that we should cancel the standing order for Feb.

I have to say fair play to them. They are not trying to take fees like they did in March/April 2020 AND they are trying to support frontline workers despite their staff saying they are afraid to work.

The lack of clarity from the Department and O'Gorman is pretty scandalous. Nothing concrete to creches by collection time today.

Totally out of his depth, at least Foley fronted up to the press etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

The lack of clarity from the Department and O'Gorman is pretty scandalous. Nothing concrete to creches by collection time today.

Totally out of his depth, at least Foley fronted up to the press etc.

Communication received from dept at 17:52 this evening for providers and not much in 15 pages to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

neris wrote: »
    Communication received from dept at 17:52 this evening for providers and not much in 15 pages to be honest

Is it online anywhere that we can view?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

We got text from crèche saying only frontline or non-WFH essential workers.

I don’t understand the stipulation that it’s only on-site essential workers. Much like many jobs can’t be done from home, my essential worker job can’t be done whilst childminding. Fair enough I’m not gunna see my kid do themselves harm etc but it’s just impossible.

It’s even worse than crèches are making their own rules here. A coworker’s child’a crèche has been told it’s just business as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Clouron

BBMcQ wrote: »

I don’t understand the stipulation that it’s only on-site essential workers. Much like many jobs can’t be done from home, my essential worker job can’t be done whilst childminding. Fair enough I’m not gunna see my kid do themselves harm etc but it’s just impossible.

It’s even worse than crèches are making their own rules here. A coworker’s child’a crèche has been told it’s just business as usual.[/quote

The criteria for essential worker had changed on department website and now accounts for ppl working from home too, so ppl just like you. Your creche should accommodate you. Creches need certain number in, to make it viable to open for frontline etc, so your Creche should be trying to help you which in turn helps others.

Clouron wrote: »
    BBMcQ wrote: »

It’s even worse than crèches are making their own rules here. A coworker’s child’a crèche has been told it’s just business as usual.[/quote

The criteria for essential worker had changed on department website and now accounts for ppl working from home too, so ppl just like you. Your creche should accommodate you. Creches need certain number in, to make it viable to open for frontline etc, so your Creche should be trying to help you which in turn helps others.

Do you have a link for that criteria?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Clouron

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/8fdc1-faqs-for-parents-of-children-in-early-learning-and-care-and-school-age-childcare-services-07-january/

Section 9.

I know creches are not consistent with this but some are working off this guidance

quote="ThunbergsAreGo;115856861"]
    Clouron wrote: »

Do you have a link for that criteria?

Thanks had seen that.
    Really seems to be a shambles and O Gorman must answer serious questions, very little guidance given to private operators.

As someone said above, 2 essential kids, 7 staff, what v are you to do

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Sorry for dragging this up but am in a weird situation here (at least it feels like).

This week my 3 year old daughter was pulled from creche due to a non-persistent cough (she has no other covid symptoms). The creche will not take her back in without a letter of good health from a GP. 

We rang our local GP clinic and awaited if she could be seen. We got a call today and were refused an appointment. Instead we had a 3 minute discussion with a nurse. We were also not mandated a covid referral test, it was merely 'offered' (take it or leave it). Nothing was discussed about the childs condition other than we informed the receptionist earlier that she was pulled from creche (as above).

I'm feeling a bit bitter and blown aback by the situation that unfolded, is this usual carry-on?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

Sorry for dragging this up but am in a weird situation here (at least it feels like).

This week my 3 year old daughter was pulled from creche due to a non-persistent cough (she has no other covid symptoms). The creche will not take her back in without a letter of good health from a GP. 

We rang our local GP clinic and awaited if she could be seen. We got a call today and were refused an appointment. Instead we had a 3 minute discussion with a nurse. We were also not mandated a covid referral test, it was merely 'offered' (take it or leave it). Nothing was discussed about the childs condition other than we informed the receptionist earlier that she was pulled from creche (as above).

I'm feeling a bit bitter and blown aback by the situation that unfolded, is this usual carry-on?

Hi cherryghost, I hope your daughter is feeling ok despite her cough. I've linked the HSPC guidance which childcare/preschools/schools have to follow in relation to covid 19.

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/guidance/childcareguidance/Isolation%20quick%20guide%20under%2013s.pdf

I work in a preschool and any child who has a cough, which is one of the listed symptoms of covid, cannot attend until 48 hours after the cough is gone (as per the guidance linked). If you choose to get your daughter tested for covid and it's "not detected" she still has to stay at home for 48 hours after her cough or any other symptoms have resolved. IME GP's are not seeing anyone with symptoms in person in their clinic, they are referring them for a covid test.

From my point of view as a preschool teacher, your daughter's creche are following the HSPC guidelines correctly and so until she is feeling better and has no symptoms for 48 hours, she cannot return to her creche.

Hope this is of some help to you and that your daughter's cough resolves soon!

Hi cherryghost, I hope your daughter is feeling ok despite her cough. I've linked the HSPC guidance which childcare/preschools/schools have to follow in relation to covid 19.

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/guidance/childcareguidance/Isolation%20quick%20guide%20under%2013s.pdf

I work in a preschool and any child who has a cough, which is one of the listed symptoms of covid, cannot attend until 48 hours after the cough is gone (as per the guidance linked). If you choose to get your daughter tested for covid and it's "not detected" she still has to stay at home for 48 hours after her cough or any other symptoms have resolved. IME GP's are not seeing anyone with symptoms in person in their clinic, they are referring them for a covid test.

From my point of view as a preschool teacher, your daughter's preschool are following the HSPC guidelines correctly and so until she is feeling better and has no symptoms for 48 hours, she cannot return to her preschool.

Hope this is of some help to you and that your daughter's cough resolves soon!

Fancy taking O'Gormans job?

Best communications we've had on Crèche rules and closures since this has started haha

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

Fancy taking O'Gormans job?

Best communications we've had on Crèche rules and closures since this has started haha

Haha! I absolutely adore my job and the smallies I see every day bring me so much happiness. Not a hope would I swap that for a life in politics!

Advertisement