Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racing season 21

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭dahat

So that's the date to aim for regarding those extra kilos. No problem with training or miles, its the sweet stuff that has been a killer

Still trying to lose the same few kilos from 2019!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,768 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Will they do anything like ensure anyone racing has some experience racing at all? There's going to be a lot of people with interest at least going from Zwift/RGT to the real world thinking they're the dog's bollocks and just causing mayhem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Weepsie wrote: »
    Will they do anything like ensure anyone racing has some experience racing at all? There's going to be a lot of people with interest at least going from Zwift/RGT to the real world thinking they're the dog's bollocks and just causing mayhem.

So the same as any season then.

One month of group spins to learn craft and away they go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Some clubs won't be back to "normal" club spins (at least in theory) until intercounty travel is allowed.
    I'm giving racing another go - I'm not sure I'll be jumping in again until I get a good few group spins in again. I was hoping to at least a few club league races first tbh, but it'd be barely going by the 7th June in a non-covid year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

As others have said it'll be no different.

Plenty of lads in A1/A2 that you would imagine have plenty of experience but that doesn't stop there being some mayhem. Been involved in more crashes in A1/A2 races than I ever was in A4 races which have added a few grams to my arm which is my excuse for now being shelled.

I reckon I'll start with Mondello if that comes back and then work back into open races.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

As others have said it'll be no different.

Plenty of lads in A1/A2 that you would imagine have plenty of experience but that doesn't stop there being some mayhem. Been involved in more crashes in A1/A2 races than I ever was in A4 races which have added a few grams to my arm which is my excuse for now being shelled.

I reckon I'll start with Mondello if that comes back and then work back into open races.

Yes there may be less skill and experience at lower levels but there is also more space and dare I say it less aggression. It sort of evens out.

Loads of skill and experience at top pro level but look at the number of crashes there

Really hope to get to at least one race there this year. I’d always be reliant on a lift there & living where I am not many travel there unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭ratracer

Challenge CC League is back. For anyone in the West, it’s an excellently run race series:

https://fb.watch/5aTWA8lHTb/

I also see Seven Springs CC have their TT League advertised also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Junior

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

TLDR: Club spins from May 10th up to 15 people, racing from June 7th but they are awaiting details on allowable numbers.

First group spin will be interesting , Zwift warriors & dusty bikes plus a few hardy bucks they haven’t been indoors since lockdowns started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭wav1

We'll be ready to do our bit as always.
    Brendan Campbell July 25th and haveca date secured for Aug 1st for another event.
    Also will try and slot in some from earlier in the season as per last year when available dates become more clearer
    And the real racing will be every Monday night for 6 weeks in the mark mullen league..we have to try..
    Anyones guess as to what demand from riders will be at this stage..cycling Ireland to issue directive soon regards what restrictions on numbers etc will be allowed but akin to last year I'd say which were not that prohibited reilly
    Main points I'd say again will be
    No presentation
    Mandatory online entry
    No physical sign on
    No refreshments afterwards
    No indoor HQ (just parking facilities)
    We have to give it a go..we stepped up last year and promoted 4 x open events after the reopening and we will be looking for the riders to support us again to make it viable

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

dahat wrote: »
    First group spin will be interesting , Zwift warriors & dusty bikes plus a few hardy bucks they haven’t been indoors since lockdowns started.

I just really hope that unlike last year there'll be at least 1 women's race!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Events

The Government announced that “outdoor sports matches can recommence. No Spectators are permitted.”

Cycling Ireland is planning for the return of cycling events and sportives from June 7th. Clarification regarding the maximum number of participants allowed to take part is being sought. The information will be relayed as soon as it becomes available

hmm sportives from June 7th dont think I'll be going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

nice!!
    I will be going - I just hope now there are some events going ahead! Fingers crossed :)

From an organisational point of view, a sportive won't be able to have food stops, facilities etc. They will effectively be self supported Audaxes. Unless for a charity, not sure what the point would be.
    I am super excited though and will be out for as many mid week races as possible, regrettably family means weekend racing is unlikely unless put on early in the day but I have the club league which is near 16 weeks of misery and hopefully Mondello comes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

andy69 wrote: »
    nice!!
    I will be going - I just hope now there are some events going ahead! Fingers crossed :)
    Andy, We are planning on Running The Reservoir Dog Sportive on Sunday 5th September. Obviously we will be taking into account any Government restrictions that may be in place at that time. We will also be following CI advice and best practice to ensure that our event is run safely while at the same time putting on an enjoyable event for all riders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Corker1 wrote: »
    Andy, We are planning on Running The Reservoir Dog Sportive on Sunday 5th September. Obviously we will be taking into account any Government restrictions that may be in place at that time. We will also be following CI advice and best practice to ensure that our event is run safely while at the same time putting on an enjoyable event for all riders.

Super!! We were just going through the CI calendar this afternoon, having read the earlier post. We saw the RD listed and we were planning to make a (hopeful) list of events, and get in touch with organisers of each event and see if they are hoping to go ahead. Saved us an email now :)
    I noticed the Sliabh Bloom Extreme is listed for the day before, so this could be a totally epic weekend for me :)

• Advertisement

Hard to see sportives from the 7th. It's really all eyes on sporting ireland/ cycling ireland in terms of numbers allowed at "matches". I think it was 26 per team at one stage for the GAA, eased/ increased later on. A field around 50 (total) enough to justify a race running?

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Hard to see sportives from the 7th. It's really all eyes on sporting ireland/ cycling ireland in terms of numbers allowed at "matches". I think it was 26 per team at one stage for the GAA, eased/ increased later on. A field around 50 (total) enough to justify a race running?

50 not nearly enough to make it viable

wav1 wrote: »
    50 not nearly enough to make it viable
    Probably had extras with Management teams etc. I just can't remember - I know they made a big deal of the full panels to be allowed at semi final stage.

Most of the racing was at level 3, which coincided with the summer obviously.

I see Lakeland CC are allowing riders from the Republic compete in the Lakeland GP. Great to see although I imagine places will be like gold dust with it being an A1-A2-A3 combined field.

I was kinda surprised, as Cycling Ireland haven't issued any updates to the advice, since they said they were awaiting clarification on numbers allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

I am based in the North. Looking to race next weekend.

I just spent a week of emailing back and forth with CI over the delays in printing back numbers.

I renewed in December, but needed an upgrade.

Its taking 21 days to get a set posted out.

I think this is really poor service by CI. They have been totally inflexible.

I have complained to the CEO. No response.

Get your license applications in very early if you are planning to race.

If you are not on the high performance team, they don't seem to care.

• Advertisement

crosswords wrote: »

I just spent a week of emailing back and forth with CI over the delays in printing back numbers.

In fairness to the lads at CI, I believe they are working a very reduced working week and have been for a number of months as well as likely having a reduced amount of staff.

They're also likely having to deal with every club in the Republic asking about club league and when they can begin to start organising open events again as well as having to deal with individual rider queries submitted by people like yourself.

Any time I've not had numbers, I've mentioned it to the organisers and used the previous years numbers and just noted that on sign on. I don't imagine there would be any issues with doing this bit best to check with the organiser of the event.

Upgraded mine at the end of March & had them within a week.

In fairness to the lads at CI, I believe they are working a very reduced working week and have been for a number of months as well as likely having a reduced amount of staff.

They're also likely having to deal with every club in the Republic asking about club league and when they can begin to start organising open events again as well as having to deal with individual rider queries submitted by people like yourself.

Any time I've not had numbers, I've mentioned it to the organisers and used the previous years numbers and just noted that on sign on. I don't imagine there would be any issues with doing this bit best to check with the organiser of the event.

It was really the "take it or leave it" attitude that annoyed me.

I have been a member for 20 years.

They've had the application in for 2 weeks now and said that cant get to until next Tuesday at the earliest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

I upgraded my license over the bank holiday weekend, race numbers in the post the following Wednesday morning, so they posted them the first working day after I upgraded. Possibly they've had a surge in demand since with the race calendar opening up.

Serious amount of renewals from what I see in my own club since the date of "training" resuming in this State was announced too. A lot (understandably to a degree) waited for them to be able to make use of the licence before handing over the money.

I would've said 2 weeks was tight even pre-covid tbh. When I upgraded my licence a couple of years go it was definitely at least 2 weeks they were saying.

Complaint to the CEO would've been pushed back down the chain to whoever's job it is anyway most likely.

• Advertisement

Serious amount of renewals from what I see in my own club since the date of "training" resuming in this State was announced too. A lot (understandably to a degree) waited for them to be able to make use of the licence before handing over the money.

That's very interesting.

I would have thought a surge in renewals was a foreseeable event once restrictions were lifted.

I was one of those loyal donkeys that renewed in December. Gotta support the team!

I would have thought a surge in renewals was a foreseeable event once restrictions were lifted.
    But they didn't know when restrictions would be lifted? Same evening it was announced the renewals started.

I had no choice but renew in December. I had my numbers weeks ago? To the degree I forgot the "safe place" I left them in and panicked!

But they didn't know when restrictions would be lifted? Same evening it was announced the renewals started.

I had no choice but renew in December. I had my numbers weeks ago?

Fair enough, but I still think 21+ days is very poor service in this day and age.

They are a salaried office. Not volunteers.

But's that's just my opinion.

In my job, we wouldn't last a week with that level of service.

Just back to racing going ahead south of the border - doesn't appear to have been any update on the numbers allowed yet?

Just back to racing going ahead south of the border - doesn't appear to have been any update on the numbers allowed yet?

Nothing at all since the confirmation from that matches can resume on June 7th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭G1032

Crocked wrote: »
    I upgraded my license over the bank holiday weekend, race numbers in the post the following Wednesday morning, so they posted them the first working day after I upgraded. Possibly they've had a surge in demand since with the race calendar opening up.

I renewed on April 30th. No numbers have arrived yet

Wear last year's numbers or your lower grade numbers and say it to the Commissaire that you are awaiting their arrival, hardly worthy of an email to CI let alone the CEO. I'm sorry, but an email to the CEO is annover reaction that will be roundly ignored, and apologies to you, but rightly so, it's barely been any time at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Fair enough, but I still think 21+ days is very poor service in this day and age.

They are a salaried office. Not volunteers.

But's that's just my opinion.

In my job, we wouldn't last a week with that level of service.

You think printing out and sending out licenses for cyclists is essential work that should be done at full capacity during a global pandemic enforced lockdown?!

My information is that a meeting of sport Ireland expert group due to happen yesterday in relation to restrictions numbers etc..findings should be released soon.
    Work going on in the background to try and get a reasonable calendar together..won't be perfect but there are a reasonable amount of events going ahead..dots need a bit more joining when restrictions announced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

That’s absolute rubbish. Their bread and butter is not high performance in fact it’s anything but. Having seen and dealt with them throughout this pandemic they have been nothing but professional . Having to change and do things at a moments notice mostly while working from home .

• Advertisement

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/return-of-cycling-events-from-the-7th-june-2021/29737
    The initial return starting number of 100 is recommended. This number of 100 includes participants, officials and essential support personnel. The number excludes officials and essential support personnel involved in pre-event delivery or located on sections of the course away from the main congregation.

Get the legs shaved folks, all systems go to be walloped by juniors every weekend!!!!

Get the legs shaved folks, all systems go to be walloped by juniors every weekend!!!!

Won't just be the juniors. By the looks of things we've plenty of A4 riders with pro numbers.

Won't just be the juniors. By the looks of things we've plenty of A4 riders with pro numbers.

Ah it was the same last year, lads came off Zwift thinking they were flying.

Ah it was the same last year, lads came off Zwift thinking they were flying.

Just seen the numbers of two of our A4s who go training together, they'd ride most A2s of their wheel. I am super eager for their promotion to A3 where I will inform them of our new tactic called drag CramCyvce to the line from the gun.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Just seen the numbers of two of our A4s who go training together, they'd ride most A2s of their wheel. I am super eager for their promotion to A3 where I will inform them of our new tactic called drag CramCyvce to the line from the gun.

Put some time into some top A1/A2 riders on the climb last week as well.

Great to see. A rising tide and all that..... at least, that's the hope anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Do you lads mean that the A4 riders come off training with good numbers and then get destroyed

or

They are just exceptionally strong in the lower divisions at this time of year?

To follow on I did hear of an A4 holding wheels behind a national champion last week, interesting but I’d be sceptical unless seen as above.

Look basically I’m just hoping that I’m fitter than last year and I won’t need 3 races to get legs going as well.

CramCycle wrote: »

A wee nudge to follow would be appreciated, sound !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭G1032

Do you lads mean that the A4 riders come off training with good numbers and then get destroyed

or

They are just exceptionally strong in the lower divisions at this time of year?

It's more than just numbers.
    Positioning, bike handling, hydration, nutrition, getting on the right wheels and at the right time etc etc etc. FTP is all well and good too but what's your 20s power, your 1 minute, your 5 minute, your 10 minute and what's your ability to repeat these like. Gotta be able to repeat the efforts over and over again. There is so much to it.

But yes, you'll often find an A4 rocks up and blows the competition out of the water. A friend of mine raced his first A4 in opening weekend of 2019. After the 2 weekend races he was an A3. The following weekend he raced twice again and was an A2 by the Sunday evening. He finished the season as an A1 with 15 points iirc.

There is a guy in my club, never did an open race yet but did local league last year. He's going to simply ride away from everyone in the 2 A4 races it'll take for his upgrade. There are guys like that. But there are guys with all the power in the world who will take time to upgrade through the ranks. There's just so much more to it than numbers.

Advertisement