Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary teaching to Primary teaching abroad?

• 07-01-2021 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi everyone,

Bit of an odd question. So I am currently studying to be a secondary school teacher in Ireland.

I am just curious, obviously with the level of Irish that you need to be a primary school teacher in ireland I would not be eligible teach primary students.

But say if I was willing to go abroad maybe over to England or Scotland, would I be able to find work as a primary school teacher there with my qualification as a teacher (even as a secondary teacher) here in ireland.

Just like to keep my options open for the future as it seems there may be some shortages of jobs as secondary school teachers in ireland.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

Why wouldn't you work as a secondary teacher abroad?

I am doing a PGCE abroad, which isn't specific to any stage of education. I am training in secondary (although I have one primary language class), and I have no experience of broader primary curricula. There is huge focus on literacy, phonics, mathematics across the curriculum which I would not be confident in teaching - it goes way beyond just having Irish into teaching younger minds to read and write.

It will ultimately be up to the hiring team of schools where you apply, but I couldn't see any school in my area hiring me for a primary role even if they only look for a PME/QTS (or equivalent).
    It's a totally different ball game and I would consider it carefully before thinking of it as just another option because you don't have the Irish.

Advertisement