Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AWD sent me the wrong monitor. Can I use an adapter?

Options
  • 07-01-2021 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

I bought a gaming bundle for Christmas from Awd. When I went to get it set up I found that the monitor they sent doesn't have a HDMI port, just DVI?

Anyways, the said I can send the monitor back but at my expense, and with brexit, the cost is now silly.

They also suggested I get an adapter.

My question is, in light of getting an adapter is there any difference of loss of quality by using an adapter.
    Also, are there better or worse ones to go for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Coyler

HDMI to DVI is trivial as the connection is digital so it either works or it doesn't. Only question would be the build quality but this cable is going to be reused a limited number of times so no worries there either. Anytihing beyond a tenner is crazy money.

Given that the monitor is just DVI is suspect it's a 60hz 1080p monitor so you'll loose absolutely nothing going from HDMI to DVI.

The only downside is you lose any audio as DVI doesn't carry it. To solve that problem if you're monitor has speakers it should have a line in 3.5mm jack that can be connected to your line out on your PC. Changes are that it doesn't have either as it doesn't have HDMI.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Follow_ur_lead

batman1 wrote: »
    I bought a gaming bundle for Christmas from Awd. When I went to get it set up I found that the monitor they sent doesn't have a HDMI port, just DVI?

Anyways, the said I can send the monitor back but at my expense, and with brexit, the cost is now silly.

They also suggested I get an adapter.

My question is, in light of getting an adapter is there any difference of loss of quality by using an adapter.
    Also, are there better or worse ones to go for?

Buy a cheap secondhand tv or monitor off done deal. IMO DVi wont give the same quality as HDMI. No point spending big money on a gaming graphics setup snd then using DVI.

Flog the AWD on done deal to recoup the loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Buy a cheap secondhand tv or monitor off done deal. IMO DVi wont give the same quality as HDMI. No point spending big money on a gaming graphics setup snd then using DVI.

Flog the AWD on done deal to recoup the loss.
    It's the same underlying video signal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Follow_ur_lead

TheChizler wrote: »
    It's the same underlying video signal.

That can't carry Audio and is probably limited to 60mhz. Obviously we'd need to know the spec of the of the video output on the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Does it have a display port option?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

You can get a DVI to HDMI adapter for very little and they are fine. Also digital DVI can carry sound.

Seems mad that AWD sold the bundle but it's not compatible out of the box. Do you mean you purchased a set-up from them, or did you just purchase a pre-assembled bundle of PC/Monitor/accessories?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Dual link DVI is fine for even higher refreshes and resolutions. It's not gonna come with a connection that it can't perform at full spec with. Who uses monitor speakers anyway? They are terrible. Any decent monitor doesn't even have speakers.

I'd be more worried about your graphics card supporting it. Most modern gpu's don't even use DVI anymore but as mentioned you can get a simple DVI to HDMI convertor cable but that will be limited to single link dvi which will only be fine for something like 1080p/60hz.

What are the specs of the monitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭batman1

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/115021983

The link to the bundle has expired but I hope I've linked the thread that I got a recommendation on.

The graphics card is Nvidia gtx 1650 4Gb
    The monitor is AOC E2270Sw

The graphics card has hdmi but the monitor doesn't. We also have separate external speakers.
    We are using an old monitor for now but that's not what we ordered.
    I might just send it back....

Advertisement